No stop signs, either. Just an amazing collection of horses, cars, trolleys and -- yes! -- bicycles crowding the city's main drag, just four days before the 1906 quake. Check out the footage here.
Bicycles sharing the street with cars (and also horses, and people who just run right out in front of traffic), police foot patrols, multi-modal transportation ... good times. It's great film, and fun to watch.
From the email Larry Fahn, former Sierra Club president sent me:
This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!).. It was filmed only four days before the quake and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing but true!
Most Commented On
- The think you don't have to - December 11, 2013
- Why? - December 11, 2013
- Overbust Corset - December 11, 2013
- thank you - December 11, 2013
- Ewww A Slapfest! - December 11, 2013
- Who Cares About Oakland? - December 11, 2013
- https://www.youtube.com/watch - December 10, 2013
- Google bus video - December 10, 2013
- oh help help - December 10, 2013
- Corsets China Manufacturers - December 10, 2013