I'm starting to feel as if Jerry Brown is that strange old uncle who comes over for dinner and says things that make you cringe -- and you can't really tell if he's just a loveable old character, a bright guy with a weird sense of humor, or someone who's completely losing his marbles.
Check this out: First he makes a very valid, even insightful statement that's right on target:
“Were I a CEO and someone said, ‘You know what, I’ve never been in this company, I never saw the product and I want to be a boss,’ I’d say, ‘Hey, why don’t you start at the bottom and work your way up,’ ” he said. “That’s the same way with government -- you can’t wake up one morning and say, ‘Gee, I’ve got a billion dollars and I want to be governor.' You got to learn something because those people up in Sacramento are sharks.”
Then he goes completely off the deep end:
Brown discussed his implementation of Prop. 13 despite his earlier opposition to it, as well as support for the 2nd Amendment and same-sex marriage. He said he opposed efforts to legalize marijuana, which will be on the November ballot.
“We got to compete with China, and if everybody’s stoned, how the hell are we going to make it?” he said.
Jerry, pal, I've got news for you: The people who are the most successfully competing with China, the brilliant high-tech visionaries you love so much? They're already stoned. All we can do now is get some tax money out of it.
Besides, China can't compete with this:
Most Commented On
- Illegals usually work "back of house" and so - May 18, 2013
- No, Venom, I have knowingly hired illegals. Why? - May 18, 2013
- You're well aware that wasn't what I meant - May 18, 2013
- Stepping stones for most wage earners in sf - May 18, 2013
- respect the castro neighborhood - May 18, 2013
- The collective guilt argument. - May 18, 2013
- Right on, Venom... - May 18, 2013
- Hey Johnny Angel, didn't your - May 18, 2013
- Editor's notes - May 18, 2013
- These - May 18, 2013