Over the last decade, Sup. Chris Daly has been both a stalwart leader of the progressive movement in San Francisco and a political lightning rod – both for his aggressive advocacy of controversial policies and his combative personal style. But as he prepares to leave office, Daly is trying to highlight the role his District 6 constituents have played in pushing progressive reforms, starting with an event this Saturday morning at Herbst Theater.
Entitled “10 Years of District 6,” the event will feature significant players and movements from the last decade, including dot.com era land use fights over tenant eviction and the use of live-work lofts and other tactics to circumvent city housing policies, including formation of the Mission Anti-Displacement Coalition; the struggle to save SRO units for the poor; the successful campaign to save rent-controlled units during the Trinity Plaza rebuild; efforts to squeeze funding for community improvements out of developers; campaigns for progressive budget priorities; and a look at what's next by Daly himself.
“Over the last decade in San Francisco's District 6, the more honest analysis is that our many victories-- on the ballot, at City Hall and in the neighborhoods-- have not been about Chris Daly,” he writes. “Rather, our success has grown from the strength of our grassroots community and a true partnership between those in the trenches and those of us they elevated into the halls of power.” The event runs from 10:30 am to noon. It should be an interesting discussion of the district's past and future, led by a termed out supervisor who has yet to announce who he's endorsing to succeed him among the crowded field of candidates running for that seat.
Most Commented On
- Yep, like I said, you contribute nothing to help, unlike me. - May 19, 2013
- True, and we're seeing the - May 19, 2013
- Greg, two thirds of americans won their own home, and - May 19, 2013
- Your "best way" is highly subjective. - May 19, 2013
- Who made you the arbiter of community activism? - May 19, 2013
- My point is clear - May 19, 2013
- Depends on who you are I guess - May 19, 2013
- You're in good company - May 19, 2013
- Xorauguynajkmzi - May 19, 2013
- I've come around to nothing. A job offer is a good thing and, - May 19, 2013