Nice boats, Carly

Nice digs: The 70-foot Dyna Craft interior

Carly Fiorina's got herself a couple of nice boats.

Barbara Boxer, that damn liberal, is making fun of poor Carly just because she has not one but two yachts, one in Sausalito and one in DC. The Chron's got a pic of the 70-foot Dyna Craft, which looks a bit small in the photo. There's also a 56-foot Sea Ray.

Of course, as her spokesperson points out, it makes perfect sense for her to be part of a two-yacht family; after all, she has two houses. And if you've got two houses, you need a boat (which costs more than most houses) near each of them.

So let's check out the craft. Here's what the interior of the 70-foot Dyna Craft Laguna looks like. Here's one going under the Golden Gate Bridge.  A few of the features:

The D70 has a powerful yet elegant Italian-Designed profile. This is a superb large-size model with a high level of sophisticated design and luxury equipment. All surfaces are decorated with the highest grade materials that are pleasing both to the eye and to the touch. Like all DYNA yachts, it has a very high degree of customizability and is built with the most fastidious attention to detail and quality. This model is available in open flybridge, skylounge, and hard top version.

I'm partial to the flybridge, myself. The standard model is done in teak, maple or cherry wood, although it has (gasp) "synthetic leather headliners." I'm sure she tossed those out and got real leather. And I like that king-sized bed. The galley's got a full-size refrigerator, granite counters and a convection microwave, which I bet she doesn't use much, but I'd be making some mean mac and cheese in it.

Now here's a 56-foot Sea Ray, which is probably a little more my size. There's a nice slide show on the Sea Ray site; check it out. I like the galley a little better on this one that on the Dyna, and the accomodations, though not as luxurious, are fine for the likes of me. Check out the bath and shower. This baby has only 1,100 gallon fuel tanks, and the Dyna's got 1,300 gallons, but the Dyna's a beast and must use a lot more gas.

The Chron says the Sausalito yacht is valued at about $1 million, but unless she's had some serious interior work done, that seems a little pricey to me; you can get these things at a pretty steep discount these days. Last summer I met a guy who was ready to let go of his 60-foot Yacht for less than $200,000. Like a lot of the former HP folks that Carly laid off, he lost his job and couldn't afford the gas.

On the other hand, Carly's never had much business sense. She probably overpaid.

Comments

Who cares what toys one multi-millionaire has that the other multi-millionaire does not.

Posted by Chris Pratt on Jul. 19, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

Oh please.... Boxer was "the most disadvantaged senator" when she was appointed. (NOT ELECTED 1ST TIME) What was her net worth before she was a senator and her net worth now... ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY THAT STUPID?

And how many jets has pelosi bought WITH YOUR MONEY? Carly used her own. Good gawd people - wake up.

is the media in the Twilight Zone? Conservative/liberal/propaganda or otherwise.... Let's see a little Media Reform NOW - GM or Healthcare Reform style huh?

Posted by Guest on Jul. 20, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Listen dipshit - if you're going to take the time to break from banging your cousin-sister and picking up roadkill to visit our local media in San Francisco please get shit straight - Babs was ELECTED in 1992, defeating Bruce Herschensohn. She was never appointed to the Senate or the House.

The never-ending fascination these retrograde Southern Republicans have with California politics never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jul. 21, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

And so should you, Chris. It's our democracy that's at stake here.

And guest, Boxer was first elected to the Senate in 1992. She won a 3-way primary against Leo McCarthy and Mel Levine, and went on to win the general against Bruce Herschenson. She was never appointed.

I also googled "Barbara Boxer net worth," and the first link -to a recent CNN story -has her net worth at just over $1 million. (sorry, this site won't let me post links) Well, she's not young -she's had a lifetime to save up that million, and her husband is a prominent attorney who presumably makes good money, but that's hardly the stuff of someone who's been enriching themselves off the public trust.

You can make a significant case for Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi profiteering, but not Boxer.

As for Carly, the money she made is not exactly "her own." A broken system allowed a failed CEO to make enormous amounts of money, even as she was failing her company and her employees. Now she wants to take that record and screw California the way she screwed her employees.

Posted by Greg on Jul. 20, 2010 @ 2:09 pm
Hmm

Boxer's net worth does not include her husbands (which is several more mill) and depending on the site is upto 5 million. Which is good going on a salary of 145k a year (even saving 1 mill on that while living in Marin and DC is good going).

I just think it is pretty low pointless talking about boats, it is not helpful.

This article does not even mention buying an election, that would be a discussion worth having.

Posted by Chris Pratt on Jul. 20, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

If we're counting the comparatively puny wealth of one of the Senate's poorest members, then you seem to want to count every penny. And FYI -many of these sites have only rough estimates, but they do include the husband's wealth. It can't be separated out, particularly in a community property state. But when we're talking about a billionaire who buys yachts with less thought than most people give to purchasing a TV, then it's "pointless" to discuss.

Ah, but there is a point. Can someone like this really relate to ordinary Californians? I think that's a fair question. I have a lot of trouble believing that someone who buys luxury yachts can relate to the everyday middle class problems that I face. Maybe... but given the history of how she treated her employees, that confirms my suspicions about her.

Posted by Greg on Jul. 20, 2010 @ 3:13 pm
BTW

That's some boat she has. I've seen the Alchemy V before and wondered what sort of a billionaire owns that... definitely not the sort I want as "the people's" representative.

Well now I know who owns it. So that thing costs $1 million -about the sum total of the Boxer family net worth. No, a mere senator's pay won't get you to that level. Oh no. You have to be a ruthless CEO who eats people for breakfast.

Sorry Carly, my vote's not for sale. I'm just a doctor. The closest I'll ever come to something like that is in a kayak... a rented kayak at that.

Posted by Greg on Jul. 20, 2010 @ 3:33 pm