SFBG Radio: Meg's poll slide and Jerry's green plan

In today's episode, Johnny and Tim talk about Meg Whitman's poll slide, Jerry Brown's green-jobs plan -- and why affordable housing is key to the city's future as a center for cutting-edge arts. You can listen after the jump.

sfbgradio8/15/2010 by jangellw

Comments

I'm continually amazed at just how much Meg is spending and not seeming to get anywhere, and even more amazing is how low-key Jerry Brown has been. Where this race is going, I still don't know.

I work in the affordable housing industry and live in Laguna Beach, CA. None of our cops live here, very few of our artists live here unless they were smart and bought a house years ago and are thus, "grandfathered", very few of our hospitality industry workers live here- and it definitely changes everything in regards to the city.

Great show Johnny- glad you are on here.

Posted by Brent Wagner on Aug. 16, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Newsome doesn't give a shit about san francisco's art scene or music scene; never has. His idea of city arts is SF Opera's opening night cocktail party. He lives in a wealthy fairyland where being mayor means he gets to sit behind a big desk and act like a grownup. He knows nothing about poverty except that it's icky and should be outlawed. I'm surprised he doesn't just outlaw renters like he outlawed the homeless; well, I guess that is what he's doing. Worst mayor since Feinstein, easily.

Posted by Bob Fagan on Aug. 16, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

When I hear how much Whitman has spent, how much tickets are for the fundraiser Obama is hosting in LA, how much lobbies and polititians are spending on campaigns, I can't help thinking that if they applied that money to the economy the country would be in a better place. I can't help but laugh at the wealthy who say that they don't want to pay taxes to help those in need, yet they spend the equivalent on negative ads and campaign contributions, even though their fears generally don't become reality.

As far as the arts community avoiding SF because of a lack of affordable housing, they're not going to Bismarck; they're heading to Austin, Texas with a thriving music scene, low cost of living, no state income tax and one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country...

Posted by Guest on Aug. 16, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

Musician friends in Austin report that the music scene is being choked by real estate concerns, with housing moving into the nightclub zones, new residents calling the cops at ten with noise complaints. I lived over a bar once but I knew beter than to complain. It was there before I was.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 18, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

Funny how their "low unemployment" is directly attributable to the two largest employers in town, the state of Texas and (via the UoT), the state of Texas.

Austin is also suffering sprawl issues and rents have been soaring for years--they may not be SF yet, but they're gaining.

Posted by Guest Johnny Wendell on Aug. 18, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

Great show, good points, but difficult to hear you on this one Johnny

Posted by Larry Newman on Aug. 17, 2010 @ 7:25 am