Steve Moss responds

Editor's note: On Sept. 10, we posted a story called "Steve Moss, carpetbagger," explaining how a leading candidate for District 10 had had filed his intent to run for office while he still lived in another district. Moss sent us a response, which we're posting below (and our response to him follows that).

There are many things you could say about me.  You could say that you hope
someone else wins the race for Supervisor in District 10.  You could say that
you don’t like my politics.  You could say you think that if I were Supervisor,
the city would fall into the ocean (although that seems a bit extreme).
But to suggest that I’m not really in the district, as your reporter did in a
story on 9/10 – what’s up with that?

If you really wonder whether I live in District 10, you could send a reporter
over to my house on Potrero Hill.  You’ll see a home lived in by a family (and a
very large mutt), my family…not a Potemkin village.  Or come by my office at the
Potrero View.  Or talk to the folks at Farley’s or Goat Hill Pizza or The Good
Life Grocery.  I’m not saying that I’m known to everyone, but I’m hardly a
stranger.

Three years ago, after living in the district for years, I moved to Mission
Dolores so we could walk our daughter to her new school (Alvarado).  When she
switched schools, and I decided to run for Supervisor, we moved back.  That was
last winter.

That’s not a secret.  There’s no secret life, no secret pied a’ terre, no
secret, period.   I completed all the paper work the city and state asks of a
candidate, using my office address for mailing purposes and my home address on
the appropriate forms.  I’m a resident of District 10.  My daughter was born in
District 10.  I work in District 10.  I have history in District 10.
If you want to say that you don’t like what I think about development in the
district, schools, or post-modern theater – by all means, let’s have that
debate.  But surely, even in San Francisco, we can find a way to disagree with
one another politically without resorting to something like this.

P.S.  Regarding Form 501 referenced in your article, see the official FPPC
instructions on page 38 in this link, which states that using a
business address is fine.

Tim Redmond responds:

For the record, we never stated that Moss is "not really in the district." He says he lives in D-10 now, and we have no reason to doubt him. What we said was that he didn't live in the district when he launched his campaign by filing his statement of intent to run for supervisor. We reported that he had moved out of the district, and apparently -- according to an email from his wife -- moved back specifically to enter this race. I quote the July 8, 2009 email Debbie Findling, Moss's wife, sent to friends:

“Steven has decided to run for City Supervisor in District 10!!! (Sophie Maxwell’s term ends in November 2010) so we’ll be moving back to the Hill in early spring! If you hear of any lovely rentals let us know. Or—I know it’s a crazy idea—but if you’re interested in swapping houses with us for a year as an even trade—you can move into our place on Dolores Park! (We’re hedging our bets in case he doesn’t win we’d be moving back to Dolores Park after the elections- If he does win, we’ll find a long-term place to live…).”

Here's the key: "We're hedging our bets in case he doesn't win we'd be moving back to Dolores Park after the elections." And, from his comment above: "When ... I decided to run for supervisor, we moved back."

That sounds like someone moving into a district just to run for office.

Now, Moss is singing a slightly different tune today. When I asked him if he intended to stay past the election, he said:

"We love our home on 18th and vermont street, and very much hope to stay here (its a rental). If I don't win I'm thinking of launching a southside newspaper, to serve the neighborhoods of district 10."

Good for him; we need more neighborhood newspapers.

Still, our point remains: Moss wasn't living in the district when he started his campaign for D-10 supervisor.

It's not illegal to move into a district to run for supervisor. You just have to live there 30 days prior to filing. But I still think it's wrong. The law ought to mandate at least a year's residency prior to filing an intent to run. And since Moss's residency in D-10 seems based at least in part on his desire for a job at City Hall, that's something the voters ought to know.

Comments

This is all a little pathetic. The Bay Guardian "think it's wrong" the law ought to mandate at least a year. So work to change the law.

But don't sling mud, argue his policies.

Posted by Chris Pratt on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 11:38 am

are we really all paying attention to a weak, pathetic publication that relies on
prostitution, and publicity of human sex trade to stay in business??? Have you ever flipped through the pages? If you are a female, do you feel proud our city has this kind of stuff available at any street corner??

is this where you people get your journalism? Get a life! This publication is on the verge of being closed due to its content...what they are reverting to is desperation..
heresy and disseminating poor information. And the biggest joke is us, people who actually have nothing to do with their time but to actually read all of this crap, and worse, respond to it!!

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

its information we should frankly know about all of the candidates. D10 is attracting a lot of people with marginal community histories. the more information the better. i thank steve for his response.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

Shouldn't Moss be judged on his merits, not some random email that his wife sent to a friend? Really, don't we all write emails to our friends that our spouses/partners don't necessarily agree with or subscribe to? Come on Bay Guardian. Get off it and move onto real issues...

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

His wife spoke on his behalf, "We're hedging our bets..."

And his own words support that they moved only so he could run.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

it's still curious that he launched his campaign first before he moved back to the hill

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

Why aren't you as curious about the other candidates, then??? Other candidates in this very race have done the very same thing, but you haven't mentioned a word. In fact, your response to Steve's response would have been the perfect place to mention that.

Why focus just on Steve Moss? Until you apply this scrutiny equally across the candidates, you cannot argue that this was not a direct attack on him and his campaign.

Tim, if this is information that you believe "voters ought to know" about Steve Moss, then why shouldn't they know the same information about the other candidates who have done the same thing?

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

Disclaimer: I have not committed to voting for one candidate or another. There are several good candidates. But I have met Steve Moss, like him, and he is one of three or four candidates I am considering.

While I think the topic is fair, and worthy of discussion, the reporter didn't do the readers a service by offering innuendo when the facts are available. Moss does have deep roots in D10. He knows the district, the people, and speaks articulately on the issues that matter to D10 voters. He is a member of local Yahoo groups in our neighborhood on Potrero Hill. He is, I believe, the only candidate to collect the required number of D10 signatures to put his name on the ballot - the rest had to pay the city for the privilege. The point of being a resident is just that - you want someone who knows the local people and issues, not some hack from the outside buying themselves a political seat in City Hall. Did he move to run for D10? Sure. But what was the motive? To serve a community he knows and has supported in the past. There's nothing wrong with that. To imply anything else is just a smear job on a good man.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

Sounds very sleazy to me. We have more than enough sleaze as it is all over the place. I'm looking for honest politicians, what few exist, apparently. Has this Steve Moss decided on sit-lie yet? Last I read he was undecided (not a good sign) but was "leaning against it." How long does it take one to decide to oppose draconian laws?

Posted by Guest Bárbara Chelsai on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

One of the other candidates did receive newspaper coverage. Last week. Regarding taxes. I do not think of that article as a personal attack on the candidate or the campaign.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

you all suck ass. no reporting just propaganda for the progressives. no more reporting, you're all a pack of white liberal douchebags who are old and lame. Fuck off and leave the reporting to the Bay Citizen.

Posted by u suck on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

go walk around the block.

Posted by marke on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

Ha ha Marke, you'e been a bit stressed yourself, so fuk off

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

When you run for political office, you and everything about you is under a microscope of public scrutiny. Politicians are public servants. It's not personal. It's politics.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Did Moss file his candidacy papers before or after living in District 10 for at least 30 days? Yes or no?

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

Moss took up a rental in February. Still not answered:

1. Moss - When did you lease 18th street address, exact date?

2. You state a tenant took over your Delores home, exactly when, date?

3. If you moved in February how many days have you spent at your Dolores home?.

If you can't answer these questions exactly with utilities to prove then you are lying.

We have had enough sleaze in this city and these are really simple questions that again you failed to answer.

FYI - I do not believe he lived in the district for one minute until the last two / two and half weeks. He spent a day or two a week at 18th street.

So you have an office on 3rd and you go to Goat Hill. So do my friends that live in the Oakland Hills, work in SSF and stop often as it is convenient and until traffic gets better, not a reason to run.

Answer the damn questions Mr. Moss. Leave out your arrogant humor and just answer in three lines.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 4:52 pm
har

Saint Daly moves his kids to Fairfield to avoid the products of his shitty policies and he is golden, this guy moves around because of his kids. He should be at least bronzed.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

You are committing a straw-man fallacy. Look it up if you don't know what that means.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:36 am

position that they do not hold and then that position is knocked down. You need to look it up.

That post was just mocking the double standard of the progressobots in San Francisco.

Moss should renounce his citizenship in the USA, then run as a undocumented immigrant with the "right" to run. That is an argument ad-absurdum, where the ridiculous views of the progressobots are taken to an extreme, although give them time.

I have no idea the guys politics but if the Guradianbots are this hysterical then he is probably doing something right.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:07 am

By saying that all progressives view Chris Daly as a saint is ascribing to your opponents a position they do not hold. (Definition of a strawman. Class dismissed.)

In fact, besides James Keys, I don't know of anyone on the left waiving Daly's banner these days. He isn't even mentioned in any of the progressive circles I swim in. AT ALL.

Daly deserves all the criticism he has gotten (and more) for living in Fairfield, not to mention being a grade-A hypocrite and a bully. Steve Moss deserves some criticism as well, apparently, for pulling an Ed Jew on D10.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 10:42 am

Hmmm, I'm not so sure you got this one quite right Tim Redmond. I think SFBG is an excellent paper/blog that uncovers a lot of important stories that don't get airtime elsewhere. And kudos to the Bay Guardian for doing the diligent research to find out if ANYONE is moving to another district for the sole purpose of running for office. That is a story I want to know about.

But, in this case, I think you've taken good intentions and stretched them beyond credibility, perhaps beyond ethics, to "nail" a candidate. This guy clearly has a history in D10. How does 2 years in a different neighborhood in the same small city erase several years of living and working in this district? And, even while in Dolores Park, he spent the better part of his waking hours in D10. That makes me confident enough that Steve Moss KNOWS this district, knows its needs, knows its residents and cares what happens. Isn't that what we are looking for in our electeds?

I mean, if the guy just wanted to be Supervisor, why jump into a race with more than 20 other candidates? Surely, he'd have an easier time elsewhere.

As a renter, I have moved around quite a bit. I know which neighborhood I belong in, which one I call home, and actually right now I am unable to live there. If (and when) I moved back, I would hate to have to defend my commitment to my neighborhood simply because circumstances forced me to temporarily live elsewhere.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

circumstances didn't force him, this guy moved out of d10 by choice.
he moved in again to run.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 13, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

So what that he moved out for 3 years (FYI) not two. Filed to run when he didn't live in the district and used a work address.

Many if not half of the district probably work outside but that doesn't give you the right to BS, in fact it is illegal.

He won't give specifics, date moved back, when he rented his Dolores home, utilities, just babble.

Example, I work in Silicon valley, car insurance is cheaper if I register in Palo Alto, car is there 75% of the time, register at my work address. Well you can't, illegal.

Moss answer with specifics, stop dodging. Thinks everyone else is a fool.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Steve Moss is editor of an excellent community newspaper, the Potrero View. Whether he has been sleeping on Potrero Hill, he is obviously deeply invested in the community. This isn't Hillary Clinton moving to New York to grab a senate seat as a stepping stone back to the white house. If it was better for Steve's family to live in Dolores Park, then I have no issue with him having lived in Dolores Park. If he violated the law, then let's hold him accountable. But no laws were violated, nor is there any evidence he is less connected or cares less about D10 than any other candidate.

The goal of this election is to pick the best candidate for the job: it's a hiring process, and interview process by the people for this very important position. The Guardian article, while informative, borders on the trivial. Let's focus on the issues, on intelligence, on competence, and on integrity. I don't see any issues regarding any of these points in Steve's behavior.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:48 am

How better to run for office than to purchase a long-established paper?

"But no laws were violated..."
We don't yet whether laws were violated. Declaring otherwise is just counting chickens.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:31 am

So, one of the other things the article mentions - which Moss does not is that the Potrero View (nonprofit local paper), SFPower (moss's nonprofit) and MCubed (Moss's profit), Moss for Supervisor all share the same address?

SFPower received money (around 1.5M) from the PUC (that is us kids). So who pays the rent? Do we pay the rent? For his profit company? For his "non-profits"?

He keeps touting the 'jobs' he has created. WHAT jobs? Did he take our money to hire people to get signatures for his campaign?

Clearly Moss does not have a clear ethical lens. I imagine his world is full of lots of grey.

I think his behavior around his convenient address changes are just a little peek into how he Moss makes things "work" for him (and no one else!)

Before this came out I was undecided - but the last thing this City needs is someone who is running for office because of what they can get. One Palin is enough for this Country.

Posted by Potrero Kid on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 10:37 am

Before Moss takes it down, I am sure very quickly, the address for the mysterious M-Cubed is as follows:

M.Cubed - San Francisco

296 Liberty Street

San Francisco, CA 94114

Phone +1.415.643.9578

Email Steven Moss

However, Steve Moss doesn't live at Liberty so I guess it is the tenant who he states is now at Liberty. Ah, so it must be the tenant guarding M-Cubed for free, how normal.

And of course you'll note that San Francisco Community Co-Operative Power received a mere $1.5m. According to Moss he changed Community Co-Operative to SF Community Power in 2002. Actually he set it up under M-Cubed, according to M-Cubes website.

No 501 C 3 records of Community Power Co-Operative or the $1.5m that he received.

Why does Mr. Moss have so many lose ends and so much money washing around.

I believe the number listed at M-Cubed Liberty is the same as at the 94107 address that he listed on his campaign forms.

Please be on the look out for the Moss RV, with family located for profit, non for profit at Dolores, I mean Potrero at phone number 415 673 at 3rd street, I mean Liberty..

I am so confused.

Moss supporters, lets just have him as district 8 and 10 supervisor. He is obviously such a genius that he could run both. Who cares about such trivialities as the IRS code or address activity.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

M.Cubed - San Francisco

296 Liberty Street

San Francisco, CA 94114

Phone +1.415.643.9578

Email Steven Moss

Why does Mr. Moss have so many lose ends and so much money washing around.

I am so confused.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Someone by the name of "Guest" wrote, "Let's focus on the issues, on intelligence, on competence, and on integrity."

Integrity is precisely what many people are focusing on and questioning in Steve Moss. That is what this is all about. His integrity. Steve Moss's integrity is in question and rightfully so. Your comment sounds like it's written by a politician and a corrupt politician at that. With most politicians, it's not about the issues, it's about money, power and a job to advance their political career. Most politicians use Issues and buzz words to blind the sheep. They also use meaningless cliches such as "building bridges, rolling up my sleeves to get the job done, drawing a line in the sand, pushing the envelope, and hope and change we can believe in," just to mention a few.

Reading these comments, what I see going on here with Steve Moss is the same approach that Ed Jew's supporters gave him. He is in prison today. His supporters blindly supported anything he did. They made justifications, defenses and excuses for him. It didn't matter what shady, corrupt or sleazy things were revealed about him, his supporters continued their support of him. They made themselves look foolish doing so. I see the same thing going on here with Steve Moss. I suspect most of the unconditional support is coming from his campaign workers using the name "Guest." "Guest" is the default name in the comment system here and you can add your name after the word "Guest" (as I did).

I don't know why any candidate would try to pull another Ed Jew. Is a job at City Hall that important to one that one would risk going to prison to try to get the job?

Posted by Guest Bárbara Chelsai on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

From Steve Moss's website...

Issues:
If elected Steve will work for us to:

Create a City government that gets things done. (another cliché)
Steve will listen to the communities’ concerns, and find effective ways to achieve agreed-upon goals. Steve has a proven track record of not only fighting for our district, but winning.

Place families and neighborhood businesses first. (another cliché)
Children need high-quality after-school programs and engaging places to play and learn. Small businesses should be provided with every opportunity to succeed. As a father Steve knows the challenges of raising a child in an expensive City. As a small business owner, nonprofit executive, and neighborhood newspaper editor/publisher, Steve has demonstrated his commitment to neighborhood businesses.
Make our neighborhoods safer.

A $10 an hour job or well-run recreational program can turn a young adult away from crime and towards a productive life. By putting families first – especially those facing tough times – and providing them with essential services, we’ll all be better off.

Encourage responsible development.
Southeast San Francisco was once an economic engine for San Francisco. It can be that way again. But development needs to reflect progress towards better communities: the creation of working green, jobs, designation of open space, state-of-the art transportation alternatives, and fresh ideas that will shape a future we’ll all want to live in.

District 10 faces much more than its fair share of challenges. It needs a supervisor that will bring it an equal share of public resources, effectively deployed. Steve Moss will make that happen.

How will Steve make that happen? He doesn't say. All of this is vague Gobbledigook. It says nothing. There are no specifics on how these things might happen. It's just words. It reminds me of all of these waste-of-paper campaign fliers that I receive in the mail. None of the candidates have their literature printed on recycled paper. Instead they use slick, glossy and corporate looking fliers. Just pretty pictures with vague, empty feel-good words with a vote for me message.

Posted by Guest Bárbara Chelsai on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

For re-posting our solid website language :-)

We'll take the free publicity any day!

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

Do you really speak for the Moss campaign? Does the campaign really think this kind of snarky arrogance is the way to win over the residents of d10? if elected, is this how Steve Moss will treat the residents of D10 who disagree with him?

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

Three years ago:
Sold and moved his family residence out of D-10 (Potrero Hill)
Purchased and moved his family residence to D-8 (Dolores)

After Three years:
Continues to own family residence in D-8
Began renting a residence in D-10 only AFTER he launched candidacy this year

Sounds like a backup plan to me in case he doesn't get elected in D-10
Just like the quote from the wife in the article says

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Can I marry him?
Owns 1.6 million dollar house in Dolores.
Rents 2.1 million dollar house in Potrero Hill.
Sounds like he owns other property in Potrero Hill too, really???
Child attends 23K per year private school (grade school, not high school or college)
I need a sugar daddy like this, yes!
Sign me up!

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

As a female, as an american, I am proud that that we have constitutionally protected rights including freedom of speech and freedom of the press. I am proud that every person on every block and in every corner of our city - and every person on every block and in every corner of our country - is protected by our Constitution.

Since you are obviously one of the "people who actually have nothing to do with their time but to actually read all of this crap, and worse, respond to it!! ", I congratulate you on exercising your rights here today.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

Hunh? "...is on the verge of being closed due to its content." ???
By whom? The good people of Salem launched 300+ years into the future by their time machine?

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

You are attacking the messenger instead of addressing the message. The message is the ethics and integrity of Steve Moss. What you're doing happens often these days from people who don't like what they hear or read. Do you think that by attacking the messenger (The Bay Guardian) that the message (this topic) will go away? I tend to doubt it.

Posted by Guest Bárbara Chelsai on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

To all Moss Supporters

Welcome to politics.
This is not a personal attack.
Political candidates are public servants, and everything about a candidate will be scrutinized by the public.
It's not just about competence, intelligence, book-smarts, and accredited high-level school merits.
Blah, blah, blah.
It's also about: Character. Ethics. Principles.

Moss should not state "I have lived, worked, raised my family consecutively for 10 years in D-10" if that is not the truth. Because, that is not the truth.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

If you want to read a pretty thing about white lambs and pink elephants and blue cookies and purple cupcakes, read a church bulletin.

Maybe you should move to Arizona with McCain. Not sure if SF is the place for you.

SF has always and always will ask questions to their politicians.
I think highly of SFBG for this, too.
If you don't like it, maybe look at another city and country to live in?

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

"I would hate to have to defend my commitment to my neighborhood simply because circumstances forced me to temporarily live elsewhere"

I have respect for your comment.

But how was Moss "forced" to leave D-10 and move to D-8?

Posted by Edward Penrose on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

the same way Chris Daly was.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

it was buy a house near his inlaws or get a divorce

don't know how much of daly's temper was living with the wife

Posted by Guest on Sep. 21, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

I will not determine my choice of candidacy by their employment.
Or scholastic degrees.
Or by their upbringing.
I choose to determine my candidate based on their commitment to the district.

Posted by Edward Penrose on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

Owns 1.6 million dollar Dolores residence
Rents 2.1 million dollar Potrero residence
Owns another 600K Potrero residence too I think
Does this sugar-daddy represent D-10?
I'm thinking he should take all of his $$$ and move to Pacific Heights

Posted by Guest: on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

Whomever is using our name, please stop.
This is wrong and we are not part of this, whatever is is.

Posted by Guest: on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 11:08 pm

Ok, I admit.
I wrongly used my name to hide my comments and used other peoples names too.
(yet it was so easy, lots of names to back my comments based on previous articles)
I do wish the best of all candidates in D-10.

Posted by Guest: on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 11:22 pm

...what name !! The only people using names here are Barbara, Matlock and Edward. The rest our all nameless trolls spewing sophomoric trash.

Posted by Guest Patrick Monk on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 3:54 pm
Posted by Mensch on the Hill on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

Time for some community service sleaze bag Moss.,

Force him to go to the Bayview and Hunters Point and take residents on tours of his stolen assets in Dolores Park.

That way the lowest income residents can see how $3M plus thief Moss lived off their backs.

What a despicable human being, lower than pond scum.

Where did the other $1.5M go loser?

Posted by Dolores Tours on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 7:51 pm