Endorsement interviews: Theresa Sparks

Theresa Sparks says her first priority is jobs and public safety. She wants to more agressively pursue clean technology, with tax breaks if necessary. She wants more development in the district (but "smart development.") She argues that the city should do an "incubator," to really focus on new technologies.

She's also not a big fan of taxes -- she supports the real-estate transfer tax, but not the hotel tax ("next year could be a great convention year," she said, arguing that higher taxes would put that at risk.) She didn't like Sup. David Chiu's business tax reforms beause, she said, she thought it would replace private-sector jobs with public-sector jobs. And she said she thinks there's more at City Hall to cut, particularly in the nonprofits that get city contracts.

She says she supports full staffing for the Police Department, wants to repair the "broken disciplinary" system -- and supports sit-lie.  You can listen to our entire interview here:

Sparks by endorsements2010

Comments

Of course, The Guardian's old boy anti-gay newsroom won't endorse her.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Exactly, that's why they will endorse Debra Walker.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

Sparks is considered gay.

anyways

Sparks has an understanding of economics that doesn't go well with the cities so-called progressives, her life choices mixed with her views on economics makes her an apostate. An apostate is worse than any other sin against true believers.

Having followed this progressive/Sparks things for some time I find it interesting, Sparks has the nerve to not follow the "tolerant" progressive marching orders, so is not part of the club. Why anyone would want to join such a narrow mono-culture of such miserable people is beyond me.

I would hope that maybe Sparks doesn't want to belong.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

Unless it comes in the package of Robert Haaland - who marches to The Guardian's drumbeat and therefore can be considered "one of the good ones." Poor Robert - he must be in the cups over Teresa's bid. Robert always dreamed of himself as the first transsexual supervisor.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 4:43 am

Theresa Sparks, Debra Walker, and Jane Kim, the three leading contenders in district six, are all conducting themselves like intelligent adults. Their behavior is a welcome change from that of Chris Daly, who often acts like 12-year-old male experiencing his first testosterone rushes.

Daly's patriarchal abusiveness during the past ten years has deeply poisoned the well of political dialogue in the city. Sparks, Walker, and Kim, by contrast, are helping to restore balance, sanity, and goodness to the democratic flow.

I could never understand how Daly's supporters could continue to make excuses for behavior of his that was typical of the strutting, left-wing male leaders in the 1950s, before the rise of modern feminism.

Luckily, come January 2011, district six will finally partake of the insight that the feminism of the last several decades has brought to the world.

Better late than never, right?

Posted by Arthur Evans on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

While I'm the first to agree that Chris can be a bit over the top abrasive and somewhat immature, I am also the first to say I would not want anyone else representing me in City Hall on the current Board of Supervisors.

I say so because I know he will go to the mat for his constituents when there is a good, rational argument to do so. Stop and ask yourself about who exhibits the strongest set of principles among our current Supervisors. Who do you want fighting for you - the bare-knuckled legislator Chris Daly or a waffling Bevan Dufty who folds like a chair every time? I want Daly in my corner.

I would not consider voting for a so-called "moderate" candidate for District Supervisor for a single second. That may sound odd coming from a guy living east of 4th Street in the Rincon Hill neighborhood (no, I don't live in one of the luxury towers - I'm over at 1991's BayCrest Towers, a mid-rise condo building with lotsa small studios for downtown worker folks), but I am a neighborhood advocate first. I know that only progressives can be counted on to listen to community opinions ... accepting a bottom up approach to doing the most good for the most people. On the other hand, moderates tend to just railroad whatever they think (or have been told by their benefactors) should go into South of Market or whatever San Francisco neighborhood without asking community members who live there what they think.

My first two District 6 Supervisor choices are already made because I know these candidates will be loyal to District 6's interests and will invite community input before pushing changes into our neighborhoods ...
1) Jim Meko
2) Debra Walker

Posted by Jamie Whitaker on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

You confuse community members with community activists.

You confuse principles with agreeing with you.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 11:35 pm

Community activists are a subset of community members ... not sure what you're confused about there my friend.

Well, since I was recently called a Republican by someone on one of these message boards because I personally support Prop. B, I'll let you draw your own conclusions about how often I agree with Chris when it comes to fiscal matters. On social justice issues, I have to say I do agree most of the time with Chis.

Posted by Jamie Whitaker on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

Lets try an example...

If you asked Chris Daly if the government should butt out of marriage and leave the citizen's alone to do what they want I am sure he would say "yes." His principle's say that government should leave the individual alone. Which I agree with 100%

Then the progressives like Daly gain some margin of power in SF.

What are some of the things that the progressive try to do to expand personal freedom? Try and ban guns, stop pharmacies from selling cigarettes and other new ways to involve the state in your life for your own good. These for your own good laws use many of the same rationals as the anti-gay rights people who know how you should live your life. "The good of society"

The principle that government should stay out of your life is trumped by "the government knows better than you on how you should run your life."

In reality his principles are like a born again Christians, "we know how you should live" and "opportunism is the first principle"

In short Daly's principles (and the rest of the progressives) is he doesn't want to remove the rules, he just wants to change them to his own advantage.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

You're comparing marriage with tobacco and handguns? I can't recall ever having heard of second-hand matrimony or an innocent bystander being hit by a marriage license.

Dumb comparisons don't help your case, Matlock.

Posted by Michael Treece on Sep. 24, 2010 @ 9:16 am

I could say the same thing about your draconian thoughts Arthur. Daly represented to me in politics's as to how I was feeling about how politicians. He represented how even I didn't have to lay down and take it up the ole poop chute any longer from people like you Arthur. And there was enough voters contained in a district that felt the same Arthur. And there was enough of those people country wide that elected Obama. Time to wake up Arthur. This isn't a tea party, it's a party of changing out that old blue dog stinking thinking.

Posted by Jerry Jarvis on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

"Would they have done it anyways without the tax breaks?"

Then Tim Redmond goes begging again about tax dollars and how we all owe his world view...

Redmond, a monumental partisan hack and public employee donkey asks for independent studies on the hotel tax.

Redmond is a imbecile.

Listening to him whine like Chris Daly was enough... I give.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 14, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

In a post above, Jamie Whitaker says:

"... I am also the first to say I would not want anyone else [except Chris Daly] representing me in City Hall on the current Board of Supervisors."

I have some bad news for you. Chris Daly is termed out. He will no longer be a supe, come January 2011. So there will, by law, be someone other than Chris Daly representing you in district six.

It's not just that Daly will no longer be a supe. He will no longer have any role in SF politics.

That's because he has gone out of his way over the years to offend nearly everyone in the city, even those who agree with him on the issues. This sort of behavior is counterproductive.

If Daly had some minimal social skills, he would be in a position today to run for another office and promote the politics that you support. But a person can go only so far in life acting like a twelve-year-old male. Eventually, everyone has to grow up or fade away.

And so Daly will end up, not in politics, but as the owner of bar on Market St. If his past behavior is any guide to the future, this bar will likely be a testosterone citadel, just like his office at City Hall, but flooded with alcohol. It's a fitting fate for a man with his abusive behavior.

District six, however, will fare better. All three of the leading contenders are capable of providing the district with better leadership, and the city, with a better kind of political dialogue.

We should all be grateful to term limits, and to Theresa Sparks, Debra Walker, and Jane Kim for rising to the occasion.

Posted by Arthur Evans on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 8:48 am

Because voters can't be trusted to make their own decisions, right Arthur?

Posted by Greg on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 7:48 am

You do know term limits were voted in by the citizens?

The cities progressives hardly care what the citizens in general want, just what their select group wants.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 8:59 am

You can argue whether they are good or bad (I think they're bad), but what you can't argue is that they're *democratic*. When you tell voters that they cannot vote for a particular person, when you exclude someone's candidacy, that is a limit on democracy.

It doesn't mitigate it much in my mind that the limit was put in place by the voters. The voters "democratically" limited their own rights, but they still limited democracy.

If voters democratically voted in a law saying that women can't hold office, or that non-property owners can't hold office, that would also be a limit on democracy, even though voters themselves put in that limit. Term limits are no different. It is an undemocratic exclusion of a candidate simply because that candidate has held an office for an arbitrary period of time that someone decided is too long.

Posted by Greg on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 11:19 am

It was passed by the voters and has passed constitutional muster, and the "someone" is a majority of voters. I don't have an opinion either way about it, probably slightly for it I suppose.

Comparing it to some race/class/sex thing is ridiculous.

Banning smokes at pharmacies is racist because more minorities smoke, poorer people smoke more than more well off people so it is also classist. I love this game.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 17, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

Daly is the Peter Principle in action.

He was an excellent activist/agitator as a college dropout and TrustFundBaby. But he applied the same 'in-your-face' strategy to his work at City Hall and finally alienated just about everyone who ever met him.

He didn't have the manners or subtltly to be a good supervisor. And he was detrimental to progressive causes. If Daly sponsored a ballot measure, you would receive a couple of flyers in the mail with the bold headlines: "Chris Daly Sponsored It!" accompanied by a photo of the Supe, his mouth gaping open, his middle finger extended. And the ballot measure would lose (the anti-Lennhart proposition, mayor question time, etc). Often, his measures were the only progressive ballot propositions that failed. And he was a big believer in Lying In Advertising. Remember that time he forged a Bay Guardian endorsement for his own flyer?

So, the progressive cause will be better served without him around.

He might make a good bartender, though. He could become the Edsel Fong of the Imbibing World: "What? Ya wanta rum punch? I don't serve that shit! Getta fuck outa here!"

Posted by Barton on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 11:07 am

Question time failed? I thought it got 56%. Oh, also, have you ever heard of sick leave? You can thank Chris Daly for that as well.

The reality is that Chris has a knack for framing issues in a way that folks can agree with. Most of his initiatives succeeded. Unfortunately, toward the end, his name had been smeared through the mud one too many times, and he started to have a tougher time in the last couple of years.

Posted by Greg on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 7:45 am

Teresa Sparks is the only viable D6 candidate who supports Prop L, so she's got my vote. I may just have to leave my #2 and #3 blank.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 11:16 am

"I may just have to leave my #2 and #3 blank. "

Please do.

Posted by Greg on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 7:42 am

Sparks understands economics?

As CEO of Good Vibrations, Sparks delivered major dildo action to a venerated major dildo operation headquartered in San Francisco's SoMa community, leading to her dismissal.

As Police Commissioner, Sparks continued her short sighted off loading of immediate imperative onto others down the road when under her Commission presidency, the 2007 Memorandum of Understanding that gave the cops a 25% raise and did nothing to meet their obligations of pension contributions under voter approved initiative.

Dennis Herrera is also an enabler in this, ignoring the will of the voters based on the kind of technicality--his office could have gone either way and had ample legal cover--we've come to expect over the years.

The hack parade continues...

-marc

Posted by marcos on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 11:47 am

You are complaining that someone who ventured into business failed, while backing people who have never had to survive in the real working and business world? That is an amazing complaint I have to say. Also Sparks was part of various business ventures over the years previous to moving to SF that seem to have worked out.

The average progressive politician in this cities experience in running a business is nil, the only real world job many of them ever had was working at a coffee shop waiting for a job with the government or a non-profit.

Also knowing people who worked at good vibes I can say your short explanation of what went on is totally wrong.

Also your totally loved David Campos was on the police commission at the time and yet one wonders why you seem to think he is so great if this is a major complaint with you?

Posted by matlock on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

Although I supported one of the other guys in '08, David Campos has been much more impressive as a Supervisor than as a Police Commissioner in my estimation.

Theresa Sparks brings the same kind of business acumen and track record to San Francisco as Carly Fiorina brought to John McCain's campaign and to HP--running venerable operations into the ground and being fired for it.

So, of course, Gavin Newsom gave Sparks a promotion to a cush job as a department head, a job from which she continues to draw a hefty paycheck along with retirement benefits that are insulated from Prop B as she campaigns.

This is what corruption looks like.

-marc

Posted by marcos on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

PS: other people built Good Vibrations over the decades and Sparks was at the helm when it crashed.

-marc

Posted by marcos on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

ever extrapolate your short term positions out.

The progressives run this city and it's in a mess, but in this case the people who run the operation are not too blame. Sparks should have just raised taxes to support Good Vibes and blamed the Gavin Newsom for everything.

Marc you should just stop with this Sparks ran a business that failed thing. None of your progressives have run anything that didn't rely on the tax payers to foot the bill.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 10:53 am

Progressives don't "run" this city. Power is held in this city, as in any other city, by a whole number of people -the mayor, the board, the courts, the police, the DA, wealthy business interests, the media, and various state and national forces beyond the control of local government. Of all these entities, progressives have a majority of only the board of supervisors (and a bare one at that). That's a far cry from "running the city."

Posted by Greg on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 11:24 am

This is what I love, the progressives hand out the spoils of being in power and promise their backers the world, then when things go bad they don't have any control over anything.

Progressives have bragged about all the good things they have done for the city, you can read those claims right here in this paper, then when things go bad "hey, who knew?"

In the context here though, Marcos said that Sparks was at the helm so is at fault for the fiscal problems of good vibes. For the last ten years we have been hearing about how district elections was "turning this city over to the people" or whatever talking point bullshit. Now you are saying that the people at the top are not responsible? Jezz, tell Marcos.

I fully get that the progressive are not at fault for many of the problems in the city, there are external factors of course. Marcos thinks otherwise and I was responding to him, thanks for your input though.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 11:50 am

Is always major dildo action.

Theresa Sparks seeks office based on her business record.

At the first hint that Sparks is playing a bait-and-switch on us by misrepresenting her record of failure as one of success, all of a sudden you would redirect our attention to how none of the Board has done what Sparks claims to have done but didn't, in fact she failed and accomplished the opposite.

Did I mention the 2007 POA MOU signed when Sparks was President of the Police Commission which gave the cops 25% raises and did not recover Prop H mandated retirement contributions?

-marc

Posted by marcos on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

She claims to have been the CFO or CEO of good vibes, of which you have no idea why the business model changed. What other claims has she made? You like people who have nearly zero experience in the real working world while whining about someone who does giving it a try. You are just making things up around this.

Yes you mentioned that police commission thing, and Campos was on at the same time and you excuse his do-nothing status as being OK because you agree with his politics everywhere else.

You just keep making things up as you go along here.

what we do have is... we already went over these things, from now on I'll just post the numbers.

12. The business that person ran failed
13. I support people who could never run a business

and

20 That person was on the police commission when it didn't work
21 That person was on the police commission when it didn't work but I agree with thats persons view on everything else so they are great.

Posted by matlock on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

Campos is not on the ballot, Theresa Sparks IS on the ballot. Prop B IS on the ballot. The budget is busted and SFPD salaries are a large contributor to that budget hole.

Sparks is the Fiorina of SF politics.

-marc

Posted by marcos on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

Hey, marc, didn't you say pretty much the same thing about Matt Gonzalez, Jeff Adachi, h brown, and many others?

You've walled yourself in as much as Chris Daly has. The difference is that Daly has at least ended up with a bar on Market Street.

What do you have left, except some software that hacks discussion boards?

Posted by Arthur Evans on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Practical consequences the dogma of the progressive sect. Hacks Ross Mirkarimi progressive cauldron our local progressive sect thing hacks rigid dogma. H, seething sect ended Matt The h anti-social buffoonery thing much a progressive alternative. Milk Club the dogma of the seething progressive sect.

Quality-Of-Life Court worthless piece of shit. Adachi filth crisis demean hurling feces Haight Ashbury always. Ross Mirkarimi relieving themselves self-righteous lone male discussion.

The gang who couldn't shoot straight left disrupt difference, stale. Hey, filth crisis say the dogma of the progressive sect.

Posted by marcos on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

As far as major dildo operations go, did I say that h. brown delivered major dildo action to a major dildo operation?

Did I say that Matt Gonzalez delivered major dildo action to a major dildo operation?

Did I say that Jeff Adachi delivered major dildo action to a major dildo operation?

There is nothing left to wall myself off from given the lack of progressive leadership to challenge Newsom's developer driven administration. If Obama did not prove a certainty, local progressives confirmed that voting cannot change the orientation of government so long as electeds abandon their electoral coalition in favor of the existing, dysfunctional governing coalition.

-marc

Posted by marcos on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

Dear Friends,

Hope you will read the above posts by marc salomon? Has he gone off the deep end on us?

Luckily, the leading contenders for supe in district six are far more coherent!

Posted by Arthur Evans on Sep. 15, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

It only sounds like he's gone off the deep end, because his machine-generated posts sound just like you. I actually thought it *was* you for a couple seconds!

Too bad you don't have a sense of humor. Of course, if you did, then you probably wouldn't sound like you sound in the first place.

Posted by Greg on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 7:55 am

I enjoyed reading your humorless post, Greg, accusing me of being humorless.

The fun thing to watch, though, is the progressive nasties tearing each other apart in district six over the upcoming supe race. Marc salomon and the rest are really going at it!

They don't seem to realize (yet) that you can't elect someone to office by tearing everybody down in the name of ideological purity.

However, the realization will dawn on them on election day.

Then who will have the last laugh?

Posted by Arthur Evans on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 9:35 am

Seem Greg progressive Harvey Milk Club dirty district. Filth crisis seven-hour revival meeting, a progressive alternative handjob salomon. Visceral hatred seething antagonize dogmatic sect dogmatic progressive sect. The drug dealers supe office sudden outbursts nasties.

Street prostitution salomon (yet) thing filth crisis. Ideological Critical Mass worthless fucking piece of shit.

Filth crisis Gay Activist Alliance the commuting drug dealers the progressive sect.

Seizing the initiative rest fun district urine-soaked filth crisis realization Red Queen!

Quality-Of-Life Court San Francisco Bay Guardian.

Post ignore salomon really, enabled fun, Marc Red Queen hurling feces. Filth crisis I threatening Harvey Milk Club. District purity character assassination progressive sect salomon filth crisis.

Diseased, deranged supe seven-hour revival meeting I, seething progressive cauldron male prostitute. Quality of life seething cauldron dogmatic progressive sect really. Laugh apart humorless Gavin Newsom filth crisis.

Posted by marcos on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 9:53 am

I love watching marc salomon's diversionary tactics backfire. My favorite was when he ran around in a chicken suit, hoping that the antic would defeat Gavin Newsom's Care-Not-Cash measure. Smart move, huh?

Anyway, let's get this thread back on topic, despite all the usual diversionary thrusts.

Click here:

Posted by Arthur Evans on Sep. 16, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Maybe it was noted in the interview, but it needs to be put in print too. Theresa Sparks moved into the district something like a year ago. It was noted in Jane Kim's interview, and to be fair it should be noted in Theresa Sparks' interview as well.

Jane Kim said that D6 was the kind of district you didn't have to live in very long to run in. I wonder if Theresa Sparks agrees.

Posted by Greg on Sep. 21, 2010 @ 4:20 pm