The new Forbes 400 list of the richest Americans is out, and guess what? Sixteen of them live in San Francisco. That's a lot of very rich people. Some new ones on the list this year, too. And that doesn't count all the very, very rich who didn't quite make the cut (Warren Hellman, for example, isn't quite rich enough for this list.)
It's another reminder: This is a wealthy city, folks. And some of the people who live here, who have done exceptionally well with the Bush tax cuts (and despite the recession) can well afford to pay more local taxes.
So next time a political candidate tells you we can't raise taxes in a recession, tell them to check out the Forbes 400 and our own 16 billionaires.
Most Commented On
- Only legal evictions are approved by the courts. And the way you - May 22, 2013
- At least you admit your envy towards the successful. - May 22, 2013
- And that was a literate response? - May 22, 2013
- Turns out that JW doesn't even live in SF - May 22, 2013
- Care to make a real point rather than just - May 22, 2013
- A Few Things - May 22, 2013
- The SFBG spam captcha - May 22, 2013
- How are you supposed to adapt - May 22, 2013
- I see nothing wrong with - May 22, 2013
- JW, you might want to take a step back. - May 22, 2013