Pretty goddam lame.
Bruce Brugmann always says that the way to tell where a big-city daily newspaper stands is to look at its endorsements for mayor and United States Senate. And on Sept, 26, the Chronicle endorsed for United States Senate and said:
Man, we suck. In a race with a crystal-clear choice, we can't make up our minds. So we won't endorse either of them.
The Guardian's done a few "no endorements" too -- but only in races where an incumbent who's really bad is unopposed, or where the outcome is pretty much pre-determined and we want to make a statement. In a race like this, ducking the question is completely irresponsible. One of these two women is going to get elected to the United States Senate -- and the outcome of the vote will have major national significance. Make a choice, folks. The voters have to.
Stay tuned for our local and statewide endorsements issue, coming out October 6. Listen to our interviews with the candidates here.
Most Commented On
- You cannot have total equality without a massive cost. - March 11, 2014
- One Source Journalism - March 11, 2014
- Disabled people don't - March 11, 2014
- Lighten up and grow a sense of humor. - March 11, 2014
- Nobody is saying the disabled don't deserve a break - March 11, 2014
- Home Improvement Fashion - March 11, 2014
- Homophobic troll - March 11, 2014
- I do love a good party - March 11, 2014
- 2 of these officers killed my son Idriss Stelley - March 11, 2014
- impressed - March 11, 2014