Endorsement interviews: James Keys

James Keys, a former legislative intern in Sup. Chris Daly’s office now running for supervisor in D6, is making economic and social justice the centerpiece of his campaign. He talks, for example, about using city resources to make sure that SRO residents have a chance to move on to more traditional apartments. “We have a lot of housing in the pipeline,” he told us. “But I’m not sure if people are really moving in.”

Keys wants to see the city figure out some want to take over empty apartment buildings to use for housing for SRO residents. “Entities ought to be moving people through SROs and out,” he noted.

He’s a fan of community policing (“there are no cops on the beat in the neighborhood”) and wants to put unemployed people to work doing graffiti removal and cleaning the streets.

He also taked about offering free Muni service (although he had a little trouble explaining how the city would pay for that) and wants to combine the Sheriff’s Office and the Police Department.

You can listen to our interview here:

keyes by endorsements2010

Comments

a loser who worked for a loser. this guy is a clown. claims he was a staffer but he was just an intern? he's district 6's christine o donnel but dumber.

Posted by Charley Horse on Sep. 28, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

He was not even an intern but a volunteer who left Daly's office in a huff when a paid position came up and Daly did not hire him. Now Daly enorses him? Sad.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 20, 2010 @ 9:41 pm

Remember how its was really Dick Cheney calling the shots in the White House through his front man George Bush? Well, that's exactly what we have here. James Keys will simply be the front man for the "retired" Supervisor Chris Daly.

When they were going to have a Progressive Primary and people were awaiting the candidates' responses as to whether they would participate, you could almost imagine James Keys emailing Chris Daly and saying, "Gee, Chris how should I respond?"

The last time I checked the internet, James Keys’ website was one page.

Posted by Natoma Nick on Sep. 29, 2010 @ 8:03 am

>>>The last time I checked the internet, James Keys’ website was one page.<<<

I personally find it unwise to write a post based on the last time I checked something. If at all possible, I check it at the time I'm writing the post so that my information is current and correct. I went to James' website expecting to find one page. It took me about 30 seconds to find out that his website is more than one page. I thought you might like to know that James' website consist of these pages at this time...

* Home
* About James
* Legislative Priorities
* James Keys In Action
* Endorsements
* Donate

But even if his website were one page, some sites are like that and they are called sheets and there can be loads of information on them. They don't usually load well at first but nevertheless there can lots of information on them.

Posted by Guest Bárbara Chelsai on Sep. 30, 2010 @ 1:41 am

If Keys was Daly's puppet, Daly would not have waited until August 2010 to endorse James keys.
As a James Keys' campaign insider, I vouch for the originator of James' Campaign agenda and grassroots action:
Public Servant James Keys.

If you go to JamesKeysDistrict6.com, you will see that there are links to James' personal history, legislative priorities, and endorsements.

As for the old polemic "intern vs.Staffer", Charley Horse (hey Girl!...), it is getting real tired....
Can we refrain from insults and degrading characterizations though ?
Or how far do we want to stray from SF Rep as the Most diverse, liberal city of the world?
"Clown" or "Dumb" have no place in "progressive mouths", or does it ?

Baffled in the Redstone, D6
mesha

Posted by Guest on Sep. 29, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

I have lived in San Francisco for 35 years, been involved in progressive politics all that time and am a resident of D6. Mudslinging is only going to benefit downtown. A couple of posts above belong on SF Gate, not the Guardian.

I will be voting for Keys along with two other top tier progressive candidates in D6 and hope all other progressives do the same. The fact is James's experience working in the community on behalf of its residents and his unique experience/skill set working in Supervisor Daly's office will enable him to both hit the ground running and work well with other progressive supervisors. Anyone who thinks he will be Daly's puppet is very mistaken. He is genuinely working to unite progressives, rather than divide. He has actually endorsed 3 other progressive candidates for 2d/3d in the race - more than others.

Posted by Mark on Sep. 29, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

Thanks Mark for your sensible , non inflamatory response.
Team Keys refrains from attacks on other candidates, as it is very important to us to model behavior and remain civil & respectful at all times.
Let the People decide on their rank choice !

Posted by mesha Monge-Irizarry on Sep. 30, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Dude, you were homeless 5 years ago. You have a history of drug abuse and no college degree. you have absolutely no experience in legislating, running a business, or accomplishing anything with your life. Chris Daly and the progressives are using you as a puppet. You are not capable of doing this job and you do not represent those of us in District 6 who have spent our entire lives working our butts off, saving and providing for our families. I'm glad you aren't on drugs anymore and have found new purpose in life, but you have absolutely not earned this experience and do not deserve it. on the plus side, Chris Daly has show me who to campaign against and who to support.

Posted by soMA resident on Oct. 04, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

Just got Chris Daly's flyer in the mail. of a four page glossy fully color mailing, there is only one sentence of anything the guy did with his life before being a homeless drug addict: "Even though James became a Certified Nursing Assistant in 1981, he continued to work in retail, with a special knack for customer service."

What?????

How on EARTH can anyone with a brain think this man is qualified to make decisions on behalf of all of San Francisco? Does he have experience in economics? Finance? Hell, even US History???

James, really, this isn't about prejudice or race. You truly are not qualified to do the job and could really hurt San Francisco.

Posted by Holy Sarah Palin Batman! on Oct. 04, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

I have met a handful of the candidates and I have decided to vote for James Keys for District 6.

Unlike some of the other candidates that I have met, he took the time to talk with me, was very personable, and I liked his answers to my questions.

He is articulate, thoughtful, and really cares about our district and all of San Francisco. I also like that he has experience in Daly's office (didn't necessarily love Daly though).

Posted by Guest on Oct. 18, 2010 @ 10:39 pm