Last month, when I wrote about the game of musical chairs in the D.A.'s office that Kamala Harris’ victory in the Attorney General’s race triggered, Board President David Chiu said he wanted to stay put, “for now.”
But is it possible that Chiu was referring to December 2010, or the first week of January 2011, when he said “now”.
Today, his chief of staff Judson True acknowledged that Chiu’s name “is in the mix” when it comes to the conversation about appointing someone to replace Harris. But True also noted that Chiu’s “focus is still on the Board.”
And if I were Chiu, I’d be biting my nails over the prospect of trading my seat as an elected official for an appointment that only lasts until year’s end. Especially since this trade-off would be happening against the backdrop of the November election in which Harris’ chief of staff Paul Henderson and criminal justice reform advocate David Onek have already filed paperwork.
Either way, True says not to expect any announcement about the D.A. appointment until an interim mayor has been selected, so stay tuned.
And Chiu just told Guardian city editor Steve Jones that the D.A.'s office isn't where his head right now.
"Chiu told me he doesn't think he wants it and wouldn't take it without assurances that someone who didn't share his values would be appointed to D3," Jones just told me, as he prepared to head for Daly's roast at the Independent tonight.
Most Commented On
- There's about 3 people in all of SF who want to ban all cars. - December 18, 2013
- More MEANINGLESS talk and GRANDSTANDING ... await RESULTS - December 18, 2013
- Hortenica, if progressives stop with the stereotyping, I feel - December 18, 2013
- SFPD do not currently ticket the private shuttles and - December 18, 2013
- You're right - the shuttled issue is a fake issue. - December 18, 2013
- If a teacher has a partner who runs a hedge fund then why should - December 18, 2013
- Some People Are Addicted to Gambling, Sex, or Posting on SFBG! - December 18, 2013
- Well we certainly can't have - December 18, 2013
- Homeless are disgusting - December 18, 2013
- Not a joke? - December 18, 2013