SFBG Radio: protecting obnoxious speech

In today's episode, Johnny Angel and Johnny Venom talk about the Supreme Court, free speech, the asshole Fred Phelps -- and why we have to stand up for the rights of people to be really, really obnoxious. Listen after the jump.

sfbgradio342011 by endorsements2010

Comments

Neither Mr Wendell nor Mr Venom are particularly obnoxious. But are arbiters of obnoxiousness. Funny!

Posted by Paul Patterson on Mar. 04, 2011 @ 8:13 pm
Posted by guest on Mar. 04, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

Fred Phelps does not have the right to do what he does--there has to be some limit to freedom of speech when his speech destroys the spirit of the event he's picketing.

These two Johnnies are a pair of idiots. Like to see how their families would feel if Phelps picketed their funerals!

Posted by guest on Mar. 06, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Plenty of other countries limit the freedom of speech.
America is different and you should be proud.
However, maybe a country with less freedom would be a better fit for you.
Careful which one you choose, though. A lot of Middle Eastern and African countries are moving towards more of the freedom that you object to.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 06, 2011 @ 11:40 am

"America is different and you should be proud."

Why? No it's not. That's just nationalistic propaganda.

I know what you mean by "America." A lot of people use it (often without thinking). I don't. I never call this country "America" because it sounds arrogant because there are three Americas. North, Central and South. All the people in North, Central and South America are Americans.

This country (the U.S.) is not different when it comes to freedom of speech, despite your claim. This country limits freedom of speech. Read this:

Free speech zone

Also regarding free speech, have you ever heard of the draconian U.S. Patriot Act? It's been part of our laws since 2001.

As for this church group protesting funerals, sigh, these people are not christians. They don't practice the teachings of jesus. I think the word asshole is too good of a word to describe them.

(Now this "Guest" that I'm responding to will likely not respond to the content of what I wrote and the links I gave, but will attack me for saying what I did. That's a typical tactic on the Internet).

Posted by Jorge Orwell 1984 on Mar. 07, 2011 @ 2:56 am

Yes, we have problems that need fixing. One of them is that people like the first commenter believe that "there has to be some limit to freedom of speech ", and are comfortable saying so.
My hope is that we can work towards restoring the constitutional freedoms that have been eroded over the years, especially in the last ten or so, which has been a complete nightmare for our country.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 07, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Wouldn't a "Christian" be anyone who believes in the divinity of Christ? Isn't it "arrogant" to try and define what a "Christian" is?

There are two continents here in the western Hemisphere, North and South, isn't it arrogant to make up a new one, isn't it leftist propaganda to say there is the third?

I love playing this game.

"Everything you know is wrong" unless you heard it from Howard Zin.

===

But what exactly is your point here, to rant?, thats cool, everyone does it, I'm no stranger to it.

But in relation to Phelps, you are OK with silencing his unpopular speech?

Kinda missing your point here. Be specific, are you upset that you can't muzzle him or what?

Posted by matlock on Mar. 07, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Perhaps these links will help you.

Central America:

Maps:

Christianity definition:
"is a monotheistic religion[1] based on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in canonical gospels and other New Testament writings."...The word Christianity is the label that has been widely accepted by the secular and church-world to describe the practice of faith by the followers or disciples of Jesus Christ.

Posted by Jorge Orwell 1984 on Mar. 07, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Then I will start talking about North America, Central America, South America and Antarctica America. Maybe you could add Central America like how they removed Pluto?

I love this game.

So you agree that Phelps is a Christian?

Still, what is your point, that it's OK to silence people if they are unpopular? There are some limits on speech, so limiting Phelps is OK? "They" do it to people I like, so it can be done to people I don't like?

Still not getting your point here.

Posted by matlock on Mar. 07, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Limitations on speech have rendered Canada and Europe completely unlivable hellholes.

-marc

Posted by marcos on Mar. 07, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Not sure if you are joking.
If you are arguing for less freedom of speech, could you please give some examples of what should not be allowed?
Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 07, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Matlock, LaMonte Young and John Cage called: They want their one-note symphony back.

Thanks,