Draft Kucinich to run against Pelosi

Bay Area progressives are constantly searching for a solid candidate to run against Rep. Nancy Pelosi, an Establishment figure who has helped lead this country down a disastrously unsustainable path, but nobody has ever been able to mount a serious challenge to this powerful incumbent. So here's an idea: how about recruiting Dennis Kucinich, the representative from Ohio whose principled politics have made him a hero to progressives.

As Kucinich himself confirmed today in an email blast to supporters, there's an effort underway in Ohio right now to carve up his district through reapportionment and he is actively looking from a new base of operations should that come to pass. While he's rumored to be considering a move to Washington state, which will get another seat in Congress, I can't imagine a better ideological fit for Kucinich than San Francisco.

So what do you say, comrades, is it time to launch a campaign to lure Kucinich to the Bay Area?

His message -- entitled “My next move?” -- follows:

You may have heard some rumors over the past week, so I wanted to set the record straight with you: While I'm committed to representing the 10th District of Ohio, I will not rule out a run elsewhere should my district be eliminated or radically altered through redistricting.

From Afghanistan to workers rights, Libya to climate change, there's simply too much at stake for our voice to be eliminated. We cannot let a group of downstate politicians silence me and our movement - they would like nothing more than to stop hearing our calls for peace over violence and the people's interests over corporate handouts.

So, no, we're not going to quietly fade away, and let the corporate interests and status quo have its way. Instead, we're gearing up for a long and difficult campaign in 2012 - wherever that may be. I know it's worth it, and I know we can prevail. But I'll need your help. Can you donate $25, $50, or $100 dollars today?

I've been approached by supporters across the country - from Washington to Maine - to explore options outside Ohio should redistricting force me out of my current district. It has been truly humbling to see the support that has been expressed for me to continue my work in Congress. Right now, my efforts and focus remain on representing my constituents in the 10th District and fighting for peace and justice, but as we plan for our movement's future, I will consider all of these ideas to keep our voice in Congress.

And I say the same to you right now. Do you have a comment or idea I should consider? Is there a option you would like me to explore? If so, let me know by clicking here: options@kucinich.us

Thanks for being with me.

With respect,

Dennis Kucinich

Comments

Which was - not at all.

Another carpetbagger. No thanks.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on May. 11, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

to run to against Pelosi too.

Posted by maltlock on May. 11, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

He always expressed astonishment when his views aren't mirrored by San Francisco at-large. As if people are going to get rid of the former Speaker of the House, an institution in SF, for this flim-flam charlatan. Kucinich is a joke - completely ineffective in the House, is more interested in grandstanding than doing anything to make people's lives better.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on May. 11, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Although Tim shares the same beliefs.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on May. 11, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

District shopping was a minus when it came to the various people in the last city district elections, but if they can get their own monkey in, well thats OK.

Posted by matlock on May. 11, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

He'd be an improvement. That's all that matters.

Posted by Matty on May. 11, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

I always look forward to the blogs by Steven T. Jones because they are so outlandish and good for laughs.

It was Steven T. Jones, you will remember, who called Jane Kim a real progressive after she was elected to the board. Why? Because she refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. We all saw where that went.

And now Steven T. Jones thinks it's an example of progressive principles for a carpetbagger to shop around for a safe Congressional district to run from.

Steven T. Jones brings to mind Alix Rosenthal. When Rosenthal ran unsuccessfully for supe against Bevan Dufty, she said one of her goals was to keep SF "freaky."

She must happy to see that Steven T. Jones has remained faithful to her vision of politics.

The city's voters, however, are now insisting on common sense.

What a bummer for those two, huh?

Posted by Arthur Evans on May. 11, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

and for that she has my undying respect and admiration.

The President didn't lift a damn finger for that bill, even though he explicitly campaigned on passing an energy/climate overhaul. That was Pelosi and Waxman's baby. It was a watered down bill, to be sure, but it would have started us down the road to climate sanity -- and it was too strong of a bill to pass the useless Senate, which means it was definitely more than just the industry giveaway it is sometimes depicted as.

Pelosi has my vote just for that. She may not be as far left as Ammiano, but on the national stage, she is fighting to get those things that can be done, and must be done, done. She has done more to get liberal policy actually passed than Kucinich ever has or will.

2010 was actually the first time I ever voted for her -- I used to always write in Bernie Sanders. She was everything I could have hoped for in the health care fight and the climate fight though, and she was the only Democrat in Washington who was a pleasant surprise in 2009-2010. When the moment was right, she went for the most liberal version of everything that could pass. I'm in her corner forever for that.

Posted by hermann on May. 11, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Are you seriously arguing that Congress has addressed climate change in a way that is even remotely up to challenge we face or the responsibility that this country should be taking for this problem? Our country's response has been shameful, and the longtime speaker of the House bears greater  responsibility for that than most.

Posted by steven on May. 12, 2011 @ 9:04 am

by the president, then I would say that we were on the road to dealing with the problem.

Not nearly as far down that road as we objectively ought to be, but the strength of reactionary forces in this country, from undereducated tribalists in the heartland to the greed-addled bastards who run our corporate sector and play those tribalists like a fiddle, are not Pelosi's fault.

Incidentally, I think tribalism is the greatest and most pointed criticism of your outlook that I have to offer. I've been reading this blog for four years or so, and I think that you, more than Tim, have an ultimately tribal outlook. You see your kind of people, and opponents, and maybe a much larger set of "neutrals" that just aren't relevant to you. But you're just as tribal -- although considerably less violent -- than a small town Southern Baptist.

And that is a limitation. People who aren't "your kind of people," who don't share your exact value set, can nonetheless be doing things that support the greater good. I don't consider Pelosi to be "my kind of person", exactly; her father was in Congress, she had money, married money, and became prominent in politics by raising prodigious sums of money from other people who had money. She was chosen for the seat by Sala Burton, and beat Harry Britt in the primary. That's not the kind of history with which I identify. But she was, by far, the rockstar of the 111th Congress from a progressive point of view. She almost singlehandedly muscled the public option into the debate, and she and Waxman muscled the only climate bill that has ever passed either chamber through the House. The failure of Obama, Biden, and Emanuel to sway the Senate Democrats is not her failure. And even though I'm a bit alienated by her background, I am prepared to admit that on actual legislation that was actually passing, Pelosi was a force for good every time.

Obviously I wish the House was populated with 200 Pelosi's as the right-wing party and 235 Harry Britt's as the left-wing party. But it's not, and in the real world, Pelosi is helping, not hurting. I think you can't admit that because she's not of your tribe, and your analysis of politics is about who you are, not about what you are doing.

Posted by hermann on May. 20, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Well he's knocking off a babe that's 30 years his junior, he's got my vote!

Posted by Guest on May. 11, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

Maybe we're being too harsh on Steven T. Jones.

If progressives could put forward Quintin Mecke as their candidate for mayor, and Krissy Keefer as their candidate for Congress, then the idea of importing Dennis Kucinich from Ohio doesn't seem so out of place, after all.

I remember when Chris Daly anointed Quintin Mecke as the mayoral standard-bearer of progressives against Gavin Newsom. Mecke's slogan was "substance over style." He later became an image polisher for Tom Ammiano.

I also remember Krissy Keefer, the progressive alternative against Nancy Pelosi. Keefer appeared one evening at the corner of Castro and 18th Streets, dressed in rags. She shouted incoherently and was drowned out by two women pounding on drums. Passers-by thought the three were street crazies.

So in light of this progressive pattern, I have to give Steven T. Jones credit for a certain consistency as he pushes for Kucinich.

Intelligence, however, is another matter.

Posted by Arthur Evans on May. 12, 2011 @ 12:13 am
Posted by Guest on May. 12, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Honestly, folks, many of the blogs and articles here at SF Bay Guardian are so goofy, you have to wonder what's happening. Compare their low quality, for example, to what we find in The Guardian of London. (Ouch!)

Steven T. Jones and others give the impression that Chris Daly's medical alcohol dispensary on Market Street has become the city's progressive think tank.

Apparently, they all flock there, get drunk, and then plan strategy. The predictable results appear later in The SF Bay Guardian.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe this is what they actually think when they're sober.

Isn't that even worse?

Posted by Arthur Evans on May. 12, 2011 @ 9:50 am

It did same strangely inconsistent for the Bay Guardian to propose that someone move into the area to run for federal office and challenge Pelosi after criticizing Jane Kim for not being a resident of D6 long enough to meet the paper's standards as a valid candidate. If memory serves, the Bay Guardian even wrote an editorial suggesting people should live in districts for a certain amount of time before being qualified to run for Supervisor.

Posted by The Commish on May. 12, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

The Guardian's response will = ..... never going to happen.

It's weird, because they have some reporters that at least try to maintain integrity. Sarah for sure (although her obsession with all things POC are pretty embarrassing to red), I think Tim to an extent, I love the food/wine review girl.

And then you get this Steven T. Jones character, and the dude is just a disaster. Can somebody over there at SFBG double check his work? Just to make sure, "Wait... this doesn't make us sound like a Junior College Socialist Collective Club Newsletter... does it??". Because you should.

ZERO standards, and a totally inability to recognize when he's espousing blatant hypocrisy.

Posted by Longtime-Lurker on May. 12, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

"Can somebody over there at SFBG double check his [Steven T. Jones] work? "

- Longtime Lurker

Guess what? He's an editor, not just a writer. He's one of the people who sets the standards at The Guardian.

I kid you not.

By the way, he believes that Burning Man is transforming American culture.

Okay, you get the picture.

Posted by Arthur Evans on May. 12, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

have a debate on issues. In a city with this many lefties with enough change around to fund a primary challenge to Pelosi. Not even PDA Progressive Democrats of America is challenging her.

So that seems fair in a way that the cornerstone of PDA should come here and give her some heat for some of her sellouts.

Less and less democracy here all the time.

Posted by Guest on May. 14, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

What does that mean?

If you can't win an election there isn't democracy?

Posted by matlock on May. 14, 2011 @ 9:17 pm