Well, the Chronicle didn't have any problem when one of its columnists, Willie Brown, showed up at California Public Utilities Commission hearing representing PG&E. That was a stretch. Now Brown has hosted a fundraiser for the mayor -- getting directly involved in an electoral campaign while writing about politics in a column in the daily paper.
And when an Examiner reporter asked for details about his fundraiser, Brown used his Chron job as an excuse to duck:
“I don’t talk to reporters. I am a reporter,” said Brown, now a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. “I write my own column. All right? Nothing personal.”
We’ve gone down this road before. Our position remains the same. Willie Brown is not a member of the Chronicle news staff. Our reporters continue to cover the former mayor as a newsmaker and he has been the subject of scrutiny in our editorials. Willie’s World is highly popular with our readers who are well aware of his background and long history of involvement in local and state politics.
Most Commented On
- Keep waiting - April 17, 2014
- Two legs good; four legs, better. - April 17, 2014
- They are SOL because ordinary people do not have activists and - April 17, 2014
- Yep, 4/20 is for the bridge and tunnel crowd. - April 17, 2014
- The unions should pay this fine - April 17, 2014
- Just want to say your article - April 17, 2014
- Some commenters are more important than others. - April 17, 2014
- It's a myth that "if only" we give the homeless this or that - April 17, 2014
- Aren't their folks that are - April 17, 2014
- Too late - April 17, 2014