Well, the Chronicle didn't have any problem when one of its columnists, Willie Brown, showed up at California Public Utilities Commission hearing representing PG&E. That was a stretch. Now Brown has hosted a fundraiser for the mayor -- getting directly involved in an electoral campaign while writing about politics in a column in the daily paper.
And when an Examiner reporter asked for details about his fundraiser, Brown used his Chron job as an excuse to duck:
“I don’t talk to reporters. I am a reporter,” said Brown, now a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. “I write my own column. All right? Nothing personal.”
We’ve gone down this road before. Our position remains the same. Willie Brown is not a member of the Chronicle news staff. Our reporters continue to cover the former mayor as a newsmaker and he has been the subject of scrutiny in our editorials. Willie’s World is highly popular with our readers who are well aware of his background and long history of involvement in local and state politics.
Most Commented On
- His "political theatre" is - December 9, 2013
- Deceit = 'good theater' if it advanced the SFBG narrative - December 9, 2013
- Pot, kettle... - December 9, 2013
- Smells like Xenophobia to me - December 9, 2013
- Or companies like Facebook could contribute to the city - December 9, 2013
- Probably ha. - December 9, 2013
- Dont worry Kevin, none of the - December 9, 2013
- If they didn't want disruption - December 9, 2013
- Please block all the buses - December 9, 2013
- The SFBG is broken. The very - December 9, 2013