Many progressives have been disappointed in Board President David Chiu, particularly after his pivotal role in putting Ed Lee into the Mayor’s Office and stacking key board committees with moderates, as well as his controversial swing votes on Parkmerced and other projects. But nobody has been more disappointed than Chiu’s predecessor and one-time mentor, Aaron Peskin (as we detailed in a cover story earlier this year).
Now, knowledgable sources tell the Guardian that Peskin is seriously considering running against Chiu next year for his old District 3 seat on the Board of Supervisors -- and that Peskin recently told Chiu that directly -- although neither of them is commenting on the record.
So far, Chiu’s run for mayor doesn’t really appear to be catching fire, with Lee leading and only Dennis Herrera, Leland Yee, or Jeff Adachi exhibiting a credible chance of catching him. With many progressive activists actively searching for someone to run against Chiu next year (as Peskin said about another matter, “payback is a bitch”), Chiu is rumored to be eyeing a run for Tom Ammiano’s Assembly seat (which fellow Sup. David Campos is also said to be looking at, probably with Ammiano’s blessing if it happens), either next year or when Ammiano is termed out in 2014.
But Chiu campaign manager Nicole Derse dismisses such speculation, telling us, "The only thing David Chiu is running for is Mayor of San Francisco. He is not thinking about the 2012 re-election for Supervisor and he is certainly not thinking for a minute about the Assembly race. If Aaron Peskin decides to run in District 3 next year, it is a free country.”
Most Commented On
- No they don't. They become - March 15, 2014
- Watching the video, it - March 15, 2014
- There are PLENTY of taxes on - March 15, 2014
- Yes, marcos is a white male tech worker who helped to gentrify - March 15, 2014
- Exactly - the burbs carry the freight of SF's inability to - March 15, 2014
- When progressives encounter reality and power then they - March 15, 2014
- How is the appreciation on 32 - March 15, 2014
- because it is at all - March 15, 2014
- She ran on the "progressive - March 15, 2014
- SFgate article today says lefty schemes again - March 15, 2014