David Onek has been running for district attorney pretty much since former D.A. Kamala Harris announced she was seeking the office of attorney general. He's clearly, repeatedly and strongly said he opposes capital punishment and will never seek the death penalty. He told us he's running because "the criminal justice system is broken" -- and vowed, among other things, to start a restorative justice system for juvenile offenders. And although he's never been a prosecutor, he told us that "we've been arresting and prosecuting people just fine -- now we need to reform the system."
You can see a video of his opening statement and listen to the full interview after the jump.
Most Commented On
- The city should find a way to - December 12, 2013
- Good point - I was mistaking Steven for a journalist. - December 12, 2013
- They wear Lycra in Aspen, no? - December 12, 2013
- We ban lots of things in SF - December 12, 2013
- Yes, our favorite Korean Tracy Flick - December 12, 2013
- "cars are subsidized" - December 12, 2013
- Cycling is for the privileged. - December 12, 2013
- Kim has to pay her dues to the non-profits that run this city. - December 12, 2013
- Don't need any substantiation - December 12, 2013
- Why not propose prohibition? - December 12, 2013