Endorsement Interviews: George Gascon

George Gascon is, as far as we can determine, the only police chief in the country ever to become a district attorney. It's put him in an odd position, particularly given the recent problems in the SFPD: He has to monitor and possibly prosecute people who used to work for him. That conflict has been a big part of the campaigns against him.

Gascon discussed the situation at length, telling us that he's proud to be "a progressive chief of police who became district attorney." He said that he was the one who brought some of the department's problems (the crime lab, the lack of a Brady policy) to light. "I have taken on police corruption aggressively," he said.

You can listen to the full interview (and see the video) after the jump.

Gascon by endorsements2011

Comments

Amazing guy,

Fabulous interview. Y'all were on him like a street gang attacking Superman in the alley and he kicked your asses. If your readers want to hear what you're really like in person they should listen to this.

Pay attention particularly to the difference in the responses from Gascon (Mexican/American) and Gascon (Cuban/American) and Tim Redmond and Steven T. Jones and Bruce Brugmann. It's Spanish gentlemen against alley thugs. Really. You don't believe me? Listen to this tape end to end.

How is the Bay Guardian editorial staff like the Ethics Commission?

They don't want to be on TV.

Seriously. When I asked Jones at Daly's the other night why the Guardian didn't just video-tape entire interviews and make them available (Tony De Renzo would do it for them within hours at $250 a pop) ... make them available online?

Jones said that they couldn't "afford the bandwidth".

That's odd cause De Renzo is on SSI and he get's it done.

Great interview.

Note to Brugmann ... hire Tony De Renzo to do the rest of your interviews.

And, as always,

Go Giants!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Sep. 28, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Amazing guy,

Pay attention particularly to the difference in the responses from Gonzalez (Mexican/American) and Gascon (Cuban/American) and Tim Redmond and Steven T. Jones and Bruce Brugmann. It's Spanish gentlemen against alley thugs. Really. You don't believe me? Listen to this tape end to end.

How is the Bay Guardian editorial staff like the Ethics Commission?

They don't want to be on TV.

Jones said that they couldn't "afford the bandwidth".

That's odd cause De Renzo is on SSI and he get's it done.

Great interview.

Note to Brugmann ... hire Tony De Renzo to do the rest of your interviews.

And, as always,

Go Giants!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Sep. 28, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Campers,

Let's see if Redmond limits Mirkarimi to 32 minutes for his endorsement interview as he did Miyamoto. Is it done already? Haven't seen Guardian interviews with Ross or Cunnie yet. But, I'm sure they didn't short-change Miyamoto.

Seriously on the manners of the Guardian staff. Absolute bullies. Ganging up. Talking over their subject. And, you can't see them cause they "lack the bandwidth" to film themselves showing their patooies. Notice that you NEVER see Redmond or Brugmann or Jones in the picture. It made me realize something.

The reason the Guardian online political exchange is full of nasty creeps who distort and attack and gang up is because they reflect the personality of the to brass at the Guardian.

giants last game of 2011 in 14 minutes and counting ...

h.

Posted by h. brown on Sep. 28, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Geoge Gascon is not qualified to be San Francisco District, Attorney, everybody knows it. He has zero experience as a prosecutor, or even as a lawyer. The job of District Attorney is a LEGAL job, it's the top legal job in the city, yet Gascon has no experience whatsoever as a prosecutor or a litigator. He has spent his entire career as a police officer - LAPD- , and as a car salesperson.These jobs do not prepare you to run the District Attorney's office, period. You cannot make the case that appointing George Gascon to the District Attorney's job was a "good appointment". It was a bad appointment any way you look at it. If you believe Gascon was qualified for this job, then you must believe he is qualified to run the Fire Department, or San Francisco General, or Yahoo, I mean experience matters. Also, appointing a Police Chief to the DA's job opens up all sorts conflicts, what you are doing here is blurring the lines of law enforcement, that's why this is never done, I've never heard of a police chief sliding over to run the DA's office, this is just laughable. In fact, Gascon talked Newson into giving him this job so he could "retire" from his Police Chief job - start drawing the typically fabulous pensions police Chiefs get, and start a new job. This is going on all up down the state, police chiefs are retiring from one agency and going to work for another, driving up their annual incomes to $300,000 a year. I don;t think it a "good thing" for an unqualified person to hold the SF DA's job because he wants to"spike" his annual income, but that's what going on here, in my view.

Posted by Guest rewgolfer on Sep. 30, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

Posted by Guest rewgolfer on Sep. 30, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

Does your favored DA candidate know you're posting this tripe? If so, and they think it's an effective use of your campaign time, then I say your candidate would be a terrible manager, even as head dog catcher, since they obviously don't know how best to allocate limited resources - a terrible trait in these tough bugetary times.

No one who reads this chatboard - and most definately no one who posts here - hasn't made up their mind about various candidates. So any of your propaganda posted here is wasted effort. See if your candidate has a phone bank operation. You just might call someone who hasn't made up their mind about their DA choices and you'd have a chance to make a difference. Posting your unconvincing run-on sentences here, not so much.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 30, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

Golfer,

You want to take those paragraphs and break them down into around 5 separate paragraphs. I'm certain your teachers told you this and I hope you don't talk like that in court. A couple of facts.

First, you clearly haven't bothered to listen to Gascon's interview with B3 and his crew. Matt Gonzalez was with him for God's sake! It's cause Gascon actually works with the Public Defender's Office. George, in his usual humble and low key manner explained to the interviewers that he certainly could have stone-walled Adachi's office on the Henry Hotel and related matters. Instead, he went over hundreds of cases with them and tossed the majority of them.

Secondly, what's this 'no experience in court' thing? How many thousands and thousands of cases do you imagine this guy evaluated over the last few decades? Difference in he and Bock is that the first thing that Sharmin impresses upon any audience (worse with reporters I'm told) is that she has a "95% conviction rate!" Dagummit! Fazio's even worse and in addition is crude (he doesn't have a prayer so don't worry about that).

And, third, see paragraph one. Notice how my style flows and has humor while yours is dense and hostile? Like I said, I hope you don't come over like that in court.

See how Larry Baer is still attacking Bill Neukom? Today he referred to Neuk's hanging with the team and bringing Sabean into meetings with the investors' Executive Committee as, "meddling". Sad. Sad cause Neukom's "meddling" brought us SF's only World Series title and an entire season of sold-out games.

I know one of these Giants partners it turns out. William Chang. Great family. I managed one of their many properties (Kirkham Heights above UC Medical) a quarter century or so back. Thanks to the Chron's John Shea for the best piece I've seen to date on Giants management.

You getting this, 'Golfer'? Open with a couple of solid jabs to let your opponent feel your power. Inform. Leave em hanging with an untold story. Mix in some humor if you got the gift.

Adachi for Mayor!

Baum for Mayor!

Avalos for Mayor!

Hall for Mayor!

Miyamoto for Sheriff!

Gascon for DA!

Go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Sep. 30, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

'Golfer',

I post to push my own political agenda. I know pretty much every politician in town but I don't work for any of them. I'm a retired special ed. teacher amongst a host of other trades. I try to influence Public Policy by using my considerable writing talents to support candidates and issues which I favor. I try not be hampered by any false modesty but, as I can sometimes come off as arrogant and condescending (it says exactly that on several sets of divorce papers in my possession) ... I read everything in my local terrain and send links to pieces that support my positions (I have more than the Kama Sutra).

Here's a great piece by a new writer at the Examiner which was posted after lunch today and since they don't publish tomorrow I thought I'd pass it on to you.

Nice job to Sarah Gantz and thanks to billionaire homophobe Phil Anschultz for allowing us to share the work of your cub (did you know that George Boros founded the U.S. team 'D.C. United' and that he sold the team to Anschultz who then sold it to William Chang, Giants part owner?) ...

Gascon shows how real D.A. builds a case:

Go Cardinals!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Sep. 30, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

No doubt about it. He's happy to put out for nothing ever in return.

Posted by Right on Sister Snapples on Sep. 30, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

No, seriously.

The office is falling apart under Gascon, and that's probably the best thing I can say about the guy. He lies about not incarcerating people for drug possession, he changes his position on the death penalty seemingly every week, he's a Republican who changed his registration to pander to the overwhelmingly Democratic San Francisco electorate. Yet he totally supports authoritarian measures like sit-lie. Some progressive!

I must admit, though, that he hasn't turned out to be as frightening as I thought he'd be. And that's because while he's an authoritarian, he's ineffectual. Ideally of course, I prefer not to have an authoritarian period. But if we have an authoritarian, an ineffectual one is better than a ruthlessly efficient and competent one.

Hopefully, we won't get an authoritarian at all, but it's a really sad field out there. None of the candidates are terrific, and two of them actually scare me more than Gascon. Can San Francisco really do no better than this?

Posted by Greg on Sep. 30, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Please, you can do bettah. Please don't slither back down in the slime with rest of the Hagfish. Whether you like him or not; agree with him or not; I think that anyone who has more than a passing, superficial, involvement with, or real interest in SF politics, acknowledges that 'h' has a deep and comprehensive knowledge, and historical understanding of the underbelly of this city's shennanigans. Does he sometimes insert his foot into his mouth, well maybe he does, {I of course never do !!} but that's to be expected when you have the cojones to stand up and speak your truth in your own name; even when you may have 'had a few'. We were born with a number of appendages and orifices, they all have a specific function, sometimes we get confused; but probably the worst outcome is when one ends up, like many nameless commentators here, with their head irretrievably stuck up their arse
I know that there are some who will use the 'had a few' statement to disparage 'lefties' as drunken stoners, that was one of Arthur's frequent rants. My old man used to say that 'drink will out', In my youth I used to think that was a 'negative' comment; in my dotage I understand it differently. The stressors of 'modern' life; keeping up appearances; fitting in; acquiring and maintaining status; feeling 'better' than; ignoring the suffering of others; just surviving without becoming homeless and starving, like hundreds of millions in other countries, forces us to shut down, withdraw, become protective, dismissive, judgemental and separated from each other and especially 'the others'. We become emotionally, spiritually, psychically constipated. In the short/intermediate term it really doesn't matter what your particular enema may be; booze; chanting; mushrooms; meditation; finding jesus/allah; just so long as you can find what you need to get rid of the shit and start over with a full heart and a soft belly.
*couldn't find Georgie Fame.
So "Sistah'.
Damn, just previewed,
I started by addressing this to you, and talking about 'h'; this is not a 'defense' of 'h', he doesn't need it and even if he did he could do a damn sight better job than me and a boatload of boozy Brit bozos without getting outa bed. Apologies 'h'.
It became more generic, but I will close by trying to be more direct and personal.. Hope you made some good scores at Bloomies and will be strutting and looking fine.
Like many 'old-timers' I quit this "blog" a coupe of years ago and have just 'revisited' in the last few months. At least one of our trolls has suggested that he might 'leave' after the November elections, frankly m'dear I could give a damn. As far as I'm concerned whatever the 'results' are it's just gonna be another farcical exercise perpetuating the delusion of a representative participatory 'democracy'. I'm done here for tonight; I of course know this is 'public', but I kinda hope you might take it a little personally. If you are, as you have claimed, 'black and lesbian', then you have 'experience' that I can only imagine, 2 strikes, but that does not mean that I can't be empathetic, haven't experienced my own repression, and can't pitch a little relief. We should/could have more that unites than divides us, but then I'm just an old radicalzenanarcho-yippiehumanistmofo
PS.
"The Poors"are People 2.
Peckerwood got soul 2. I was there the night this was recorded. I was 'gone' early and never came back. Ain't no turning back now.
PET MONKEY SOUNDS

Posted by Pat Monk.RN. on Oct. 01, 2011 @ 1:39 am

FYI. "Night Train" - Georgie Fame

Posted by Pat Monk.RN. on Oct. 01, 2011 @ 1:58 am

fuggedabahtit

Posted by Pat Monk.RN. on Oct. 01, 2011 @ 2:12 am
Posted by Pat Monk.RN. on Oct. 01, 2011 @ 2:16 am

Thank you for the endorsement interviews. They are tremendously helpful, especially, under an IRV system. However, I noticed to date you have not done an interview with District Attorney Candidate Vu V. Trinh. I hope that this interview will take place.

From what I have been able to garnered at the debates, candidate forums, news articles, and his website, Mr. Trinh appears to be a well-qualified candidate of integrity, who is offering real solutions, in the present, to our current justice system and safety. I would like to learn more.

I hope you can provide the voters of our beloved City with an in depth and penetrating interview of this candidate. Thank you.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 03, 2011 @ 12:18 pm