George Gascon is, as far as we can determine, the only police chief in the country ever to become a district attorney. It's put him in an odd position, particularly given the recent problems in the SFPD: He has to monitor and possibly prosecute people who used to work for him. That conflict has been a big part of the campaigns against him.
Gascon discussed the situation at length, telling us that he's proud to be "a progressive chief of police who became district attorney." He said that he was the one who brought some of the department's problems (the crime lab, the lack of a Brady policy) to light. "I have taken on police corruption aggressively," he said.
You can listen to the full interview (and see the video) after the jump.
Most Commented On
- we covered that this week - July 26, 2014
- I understand that the SFBC - July 26, 2014
- San Francisco needs - July 26, 2014
- Artificial turf - July 26, 2014
- Moron - July 26, 2014
- Golden Gate Park, an - July 26, 2014
- What a monumental waste of everyones time - July 26, 2014
- Are You A Bot? - July 26, 2014
- Oh Bullshit - July 26, 2014
- How Much Do You Make? - July 26, 2014