I realize that Mayor Ed Lee has denounced what appears to be clear voter fraud, but he has a problem and it's not going to go away. Lee has allowed himself to be surrounded by the same sort of sleaze artists who circled around the administration of Willie Brown, doing the same sorts of things. And simply calling this crew and its actions "moronic" isn't going to cut it.
Does anybody really believe that there's no connection at all between Lee and the San Francisco Neighbors Alliance or the other independent expenditure committees working for Lee? No way that Rose Pak, Lee's friend who meets with him regularly, is communicating with Enrique Pearce, the consultant for the IE, who worked with Pak on the Run Ed Run committee?
Does anybody really believe that this kind of activity would continue if Lee really wanted it to stop?
Lee's supporters say the guy is new to this level of politics and is a little naive about the rules. Sorry -- that's not an excuse. The last thing we need is a mayor who doesn't understand how important honest, open government is and who can't figure out how to keep the likes of Enrique Pearce in line. Because then we get Willie Brown all over again.
Brown's administration was full of lobbyists and so-called independent operators who had the mayor's ear, got what they wanted -- and had no accountability to anyone. Brown also had some problems with election laws.
This is a bad sign, and the district attorney ought to be investigating, fast -- and releasing the results before Election Day.
Most Commented On
- Alcohol helps everyone get laid, and the species to propagate. - March 17, 2014
- It's easy to see why you need - March 17, 2014
- Exactly. - March 17, 2014
- I've seen words like "sharks", "hogs", "snakes", "vultures" and - March 17, 2014
- Enough animosity to have a commonly accepted - March 17, 2014
- exactly - March 17, 2014
- True, and in fact the word "progressive" itself us devoid of any - March 17, 2014
- Greg, of course YOU cannot think of any other profession that - March 17, 2014
- Laws to stop you harming others are reasonable - March 17, 2014
- Correlation is not causation. - March 17, 2014