Lee fraud bumped by Hammer

Ron and Ed: Rap masters

The San Francisco Chronicle finally -- finally -- put the story about voter fraud by Ed Lee's supporters on the front page Oct. 25, and it was on the top of sfgate for a few hours. But by 11:30 a.m., the story was off the front page of the paper's website, buried where it's impossible to find without searching -- and replaced by a big story about this bizarre Ed Lee rap video featuring Hammer, will.i.am and Brian Wilson. It's almost a joke, the video, a cartoon version of a music video featuring young women chanting "Ed Leeeeee" and lyrics that just about left me speechless:

My my my, music hits me so hard,
Newsom left and they put him in charge,
and the rest of the city with Mayor Ed Lee
Got us all sayin’ “Run Lee Run”
Only five-foot-five but he gets (bleep) done
So tell them other candidates to find a bus pass,
Unless you ridin’ with us…FEAR THE MUSTACHE!

It's almost like Rappin Ronald Reagan. Except that one was actually funny.

So: A real, serious story about the kind of dangerous sleaze that we can expect from an Ed Lee administration is bumped off the top of the city's daily newspaper website to make room for a weak joke. Go Chronicle. Go sfgate.

Comments

mayoral race and, although it was corny, it was creditted with establishing some empathy towards here among Oakland's disaffected black and hispanic youth.

So it's not a bad gambit, and we're just grateful to see you covering something other than alleged improprietaries. Who knows - you might even resume covering the real issues again soon, rather than trivia . . .

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 11:41 am

...trivia like ballot stuffing.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

I got nothing against rap videos, but this was beyond corny. And I believe that corruption IS an issue, a big one.

Posted by tim on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

In Anon's world this video is "the real issues" whereas potential election fraud is "trivia" Just think about that.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 11:44 am

doesn't appear to actually want to report on the real issues or policies.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

And it's not just the Bay Guardian reporting on it.
News outlets all over the US are reporting on these ridiculous examples of corruption.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

I want to see evidence that voters were deceived, and not just that A helped B complete their ballot.

The latter is a mere technicality.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

over this issue. The "vapors" must be spreading through the SFBG newsroom, with both Tim and Steven reeling out of their second-hand Aeron chairs at the very notion of electoral chicanery in San Francisco. They're shocked! SHOCKED!

Which I would appreciate more had the SFBG not endorsed sleazebag Leland Yee for their #3 pick for mayor. The Guardian doesn't AT ALL appreciate ethical lapses on the part of candidates or campaigns - unless it's one of the candidates it's happened to endorse.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Sadly for you, people care about law breaking stooges who want to be mayor.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Sadly for you, people care about the law breaking stooges who want to be mayor.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

spend less time throwing dirt and more time focusing on their stated policies.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Not ALL politicians are crooks, and saying so does not lessen the seriousness of the video recorded crimes.

Who cares what
Ed Lee's policies are if he and his campaign are willing to break voting laws and pervert the democratic process?
That alone is enough to disqualify him from the position of mayor.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

To my knowledge, Yee has never once even been accused of vote fraud.

Lee, on the other hand, has now been caught red handed in clear election corruption.

Bye, bye Mr Lee. No more politics for you.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

They brought back Hammer!!

Posted by Sambo on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

hammer has been flogged endlessly, from his much-ballyhooed Digg promo three years ago to headlines last week about him launching a new search engine. Also, he's been on like 75 reality shows. The guy kind of won't die, and goofy-ironic 80s/90s nostalgia has been tired for a loooong time now.

Posted by marke on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Here is a line they should have used:

"Willie Brown said long ago
if you can't afford to live here
maybe you get out of San Francisco."

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

The M.C. Hammer search engine. San Francisco's only hope.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

The M.C. Hammer search engine. The way these people do business makes me ill.

"Wiredoo hopes to beat Google at its own game"

Which is why Marissa Mayer from Google is on Ron Conway's roof with M.C. Hammer filming a video for Ed Lee.

"Ron Conway, Marissa Mayer, MC Hammer And Others Endorse SF Mayoral Candidate Ed Lee In Amazingly Silly Video"

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

That MC Hammer search engine looks like that Ed Lee book, "campaign literature."

Posted by Guest on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Yes, I ran the red light but that's only a technicality. Pffft, you can't prove that I intended to break the law, and since I didn't hurt anyone, no harm no foul. Besides, you weren't even there, so where do you come off throwing dirt on me?

Posted by Crazy8 on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

I am a hopeless tool.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

You've just completed your first step toward election integrity.

Step One: "We admitted we were powerless over the law, and our lies had become unmanageable."

Posted by Crazy8 on Oct. 25, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

and I am a corruptionaholic...

Posted by 'anonymous' on Oct. 26, 2011 @ 12:07 am

I saw Ron Conway speak at a Real Estate conference - He loves MC Hammer. Somehow Hammer has become a master tweeter which has endeared him to the high-tech twitterati. He and Will-I-am make millions for appearing at techie parties.

Ed Lee - Mustache Revoked! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150508227712586&set=a.35543938...

Posted by Guest on Oct. 26, 2011 @ 7:50 am