Adachi video attacks public financing

This is odd: An eight-minute video narrated by Matt Gonzalez in support of Jeff Adachi devotes a considerable amount of time to attacking public campaign financing -- something Gonzalez always supported as a supervisor.

The video claims that the $4 million that "politicians" are taking to pay for their mayoral campaigns could have helped the city avoid cancelling summer school and cutting school bus routes.

Actually, the city doesn't pay for summer school or for school buses; the school district does. But I suppose the city could have scrapped public financing and given the money to SFUSD. Unlikely, but possible. (The city actually does share some money with SFUDS, under a measure that Gonzalez opposed.)

The thing about public financing, of course, is that it allows candidates like John Avalos, who won't get big business support, to run a competitive campaign. If it prevents special interests from buying elections, it saves the city far more than it costs. Public financing has always been a central part of the progressive agenda, nationally and locally.

The rest of the message is about what you'd expect -- pension reform, Recology's franchise fee, giveaways to the police and fire unions. All stuff that Adachi has made part of his campaign. It's nicely (if inexpensively) produced, and, as always, Gonzalez is a great presenter.

But what's up with the attack on public finance?

(UPDATE: Gonzalez emailed me to say that Adachi doesn't oppose public financing but thinks this is a bad year to accept it. He also said when he chaired the Budget Commitee the city sent a lot of money to the schools. But he did oppose the measure that guarantees some city funding to SFUSD.)

Comments

The video was made for free in a couple of days by Matt & Isiah Flores, an Academy of Art graduate in his mid-20s.

This is what Isiah wrote when I emailed him asking how it was made and financed:

"The video was an idea matt and I had that turned into a weekend project. It was made with only our donated time and efforts. Just my laptop and lunch. We both wrote the script. Was a fun collaboration."

But since then, Adachi has embraced it sending out an email from Matt paid for by the campaign promoting the video. One of the Adachi visibility people even had a sign with the website which has a short message from Matt & the video

I do think it is sad both Adachi and Matt to attack candidates for taking public financing. Matt would have had a better chance of winning in 2003 if he had access to public financing.

Adachi had only raised $161,000 by the last filing deadline, so he wouldn't be getting anywhere near $900,000 if he had accepted it.

The only campaigns that might get to that level are Herrera, Yee, Chiu, and Dufty.

Posted by Steve Rhodes on Nov. 07, 2011 @ 1:48 am

It costs money to buy air time. How are they distributing the video? And where will the funds come from to pay for this? Which stations/ forums have aired the ad thus far? I appreciate this info.

Posted by Lisa on Nov. 07, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

I heard Jeff Adachi say at one candidate forum about public financing, "Now is not the right time." For him, of course not. He has sugar daddies financing his companion ballot measure, Proposition D. He has also come out in support of Proposition H, the policy measure in support of eliminating school choice.

Adachi, Chiu, and Dufty the clean slate?

Adachi is great at his job as public defender, not so great at as a mayoral candidate as he has allowed himself to be used by the one percent to push their agenda of attacking working class people AGAIN in order to fix a problem that they, the working class people, did not create. I won't vote for him.

Dufty? At a candidate forum I attended he gave an impassioned speech against Proposition H, and I think it came from a place of genuine opposition, but otherwise I find his efforts to pretend to be African American embarrassing.

Chiu? Clean? This man has almost single-handedly undone so many of the gains that we made during the last decade. He has scuttled so many ballot measures, and made so many deals, and sold out so many constituencies, and the coup de grace? Ed Lee over Michael Hennessy. Chiu clean? You must be kidding me.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 01, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

You're not as good as the Chron,

Honestly. You actually tell less of both sides of the candidate and issue stories than they do. It is honestly sad to see. As anonymous said, it is amazing the way you can ignore the numerous flaws in Yee and Herrera.

Hey, I really like you guys as a group and some of you individually but your endorsements for years have been an embarrassment to the Progressive intelligentsia of which I am tops.

Get your raincoats out cause the Rainy Season starts Thursday.

Unless the Chronicle is wrong and I trust them more than you.

Go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 01, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

focusing only on negative campaigning.

Adachi, Dufty and Chui are the best alternatives to Lee.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 7:29 am

drunk who alienates everyone around him, even those who should be his best pals, like Chris Daly, then progressives are in a hell of a lot more trouble than I thought.

Posted by guest on Nov. 01, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

I'm not anti-semi,

I like big trucks. It's 6 sleeps til the polls around the City open and I just got cc'd on an email Gonzo sent to Tim which I'll post here as I know they'd both want y'all to see what they're saying.

Let me re-emphasize a couple of things that I got wrong here. First is that the video in question was shot for free, just Matt and the videographer volunteering their time and resources, so it is NOT and independent expenditure.

As my buddy Gabriel Haaland likes to say, 'At the end of the day' ... you get 3 picks in your vote for Mayor. I like Baum/Adachi/Avalos and I think a vote for people like Yee and Herrera is a vote for the Devil. Brooks and Redmond feel differently. It's the job of the voter to sort through all of the bull shit and make some decisions then go home and take a shower and "slouch toward Bethlehem to be born".

That's a little Yeats for you there, that was, I'll post the entire thing after this correspondence atween Matt and Tim ...

Tim,

I saw your blog posting on the video I made. Two things.

First, I should have made the point that Jeff is not opposed to public
financing. However, many of us feel that it is not appropriate to take
public money at a time public resources are scarce and workers are being
asked to give back salaries, not to mention services being cut. I am also
troubled by the negative ads public money has been used to pay for. I think
the measure is poorly drafted and needs serious reform.

Second, when I was on the board of supervisors we put more money into the
public schools than at any other time in the city's history, despite not
being mandated to do so. I dont remember the exact numbers as i sit here,
but I was on the budget committee that did this. The measure I opposed was
a mandated set aside that didnt give sufficient consideration to the
services that might be impact if the money promised were actually
delivered. So it is not accurate that I opposed giving money to our public
schools.

Matt

And, Yeats describing Tony Winnicker ...

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Ahhh, classic poetry. It's a long way from rap, huh?

Go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 5:20 am

Guest,

I got the boot for surreptitiously (not so much,I guess) topping off the bourbon on the rocks I got from the bar with some Ancient Age I had in my backpack. I did the crime and now I'm doing my time (the penalty is a 30 day closure for bar and I'm repentant.

Who's got a list of election nite parties?

Gary Brown hitting .220 now in AFL and it's killing me.

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Works best with clear licquor like vodka, of course.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Eric,

That's the most comprehensive description you've given of your job and you finally admit that it could be "arguably' said that you're paid to post here. I think you've posted the name of your organization here before but I don't have it. Would you repeat it please? Do they file a 990?

Pesonally I've worked for the Koch brothers for years. I get just over 10 million a year and live on Skid Row as a cover.

Go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 7:51 am

reasonably infer that he is paid to post here. Which of course doesn't even require that he believes what he says.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 8:22 am

The organization is Our City.

FaceBook:

Twitter:

And we've never had to file a 990 because our budget is always less than $50k.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Where do you get the money you use to operate?

Posted by guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Nonsense. There is nothing shady at all about it.

The organization spun off of the Matt Gonzalez for mayor campaign in late 2003.

Our donors are solely individuals who have been signed up by grassroots canvassing, and average around $30 per donor.

Finally, we take no donations or grants whatsoever from any corporations, political parties, governments, or even other nonprofits.

This keeps us free from being manipulated by those entities, and gives us the latitude to go after them when necessary without fear of reprisal, or loss of funds.

Our City is straight up.

Coolest group I've ever worked for.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Laundered through 'Brightline Defense',

The irony is that Brooks may be in such a state of deep denial that he doesn't realize where his money comes from. "Small contributors"? C'mon, anyone out there reading this who'd give Eric Brooks a dime please answer here and use your real name?

"Under $50,000" so you don't need to file an accounting of the source of your funding with a standard form 990? Awwww, c'mon Eric, don't let any silly government loopholes stand in the way of public knowledge. I'm absolutely certain that every one of your donors wants us to know who they are. Give us a peek.

Here's an exchange I had with Eric and Joshua Arce on this site back in early Spring of this year ...

Eventually Joshua filed a 990 and it revealed that he has 4 or 5 employees and pays them all and himself on about 50 thousand bucks a year, half of which he personally lends Brightline Defense.

Defense of who?

PG&E, that's who.

Go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 10:44 am

So it is therefore impossible for Our City to be a PG&E front.

Our City also has regularly attacked PG&E, and the core campaign that we have worked on for the past 7 years is to get CleanPowerSF off the ground in San Francisco, in order to put PG&E out of business.

We also helped found and organize the statewide campaign against PG&E's incredibly evil ballot measure Prop 16 which would have enshrined PG&E's monopoly in the state constitution and killed the municipal clean energy movement in California.

So the idea that Our City has anything to do with PG&E is totally loopy.

Here are two Our City web pages which clearly show our work opposing the juggernaut of PG&E:

And if you visit our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/OurCitySF you will see several posts there attacking PG&E.

Furthermore, Brightline Defense has been a key ally in the fight for CleanPowerSF, and so is likewise actively engaged in fighting PG&E.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Laundered through 'Brightline Defense',

Defense of who?

PG&E, that's who.

Go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 10:54 am

So it is therefore impossible for Our City to be a PG&E front.

So the idea that Our City has anything to do with PG&E is totally loopy.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Hey Guy,

Had to jump in the sandbox with you on this one. Which is unfortunate because the time I waste on this reply is time that I will never see again.

It's also unfortunate that you've changed up from the civil conversations we've had of late and gone back to throwing around lies and fabrications. If you got something else going on in life that's making you lash out, I am sorry for that.

But there's no need to lie and undermine your own integrity with low-brow garbage. Eric and I are part of a small but effective coalition that over the past three years has revived CCA from life support, built it back up, and advanced it to the point where it is poised for adoption by the City.

I would even credit Eric with singlehandedly keeping the program going at certain points over those years. You and I have discussed this, you may have even been sober (!)

So knock it off, grab a cold one, simmer down, and stop wasting people's time.

Go Accuracy!

Josh

Posted by Joshua Arce on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Pure and simple, it is all about Jeff Adachi and what he wants.

When it comes time to defend indigents accused of crimes, Adachi is a dick.

When it comes time to attack union workers and leave corporate corruption untouched, Adachi is a dick.

When it comes time to buy a house, Adachi settles in St. Francis Woods, Adachi is a dick.

When it comes time to buy a car, Adachi goes for a Mercedes-Benz, the car of a dick.

When it comes time to send the kids to school, Adachi forgoes the SFUSD (while crying crocodile tears for how pensions cost schools money) and sends his kids to private school, a total dick.

When it comes time to advance Jeff Adachi, Adachi plays progressive but attacks the only investment that gives the public a chance to elect someone not beholden to billionaires like Michael Moritz (a first class dick, read the articles) Public Financing, such a dick.

Matt Gonzalez did not almost win in 2003 because he sided with billionaires, attacked public financing and was a dick. Enrique Pearce was the dick in that campaign. Gonzalez almost won because he ran a no apologies progressive campaign AND THERE WAS A RUNOFF WHERE EVERYONE COULD COALESCE BEHIND A PROGRESSIVE CAMPAIGN.

Thanks to Matt Gonzalez and Prop A 2001, those organizing opportunities that runoffs provided in 1999, 2000 and 2003 are gone, gone gone, and with it progressive power has faded.

Like rats jumping off of a sinking ship, the progressive circus elephants left their droppings for us to clean up, abandoned progressives and are comfortably siding with the billionaries while earning six figures at city jobs.

Watch how Adachi's rabid attack dogs go after me with a vigor that they'd never show in going after corporate corruption. Adachi's political operation has pissed off enough people that if they go after me again, we'll see an expose of Adachi's main political assassin. Understood?

Posted by marcos on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 8:11 am

The name-calling speaks for itself - the last refuge of a scoundrel who wants to revisit a 5th grade playground. Sometimes it's hard to use one's brain and actually be clever.

A di*k would say Adachi "attacks" public financing after MG independently makes a video and Adachi has already stated previously he supports public financing. Let's be clear - you're a di*k AND a liar.

"When it comes time to attack union workers..."

Please copy us on your email to the Mayor, every member of the BOS including your hero John Avalos, the head of every City employee union and Jerry Brown- that they're all "attacking" workers! Let's see a little consistency.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Jeff Adachi, the dick, sought out billionaires to go after pensions, sought out the tea party model for money dominating politics.

I disagree with my #1 candidate Avalos on Prop C. And I disagree on the sales tax increase as well. But John did not seek out and spearhead this, rather he got carried along in the swarm and that is wrong.

I'm voting against everything BUT Prop A, denying the premise that pensions and retirement security are problems but corporate corruption of government and the dominance of finance capital like Moritz are not.

Posted by marcos on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Well, he sought out people with money, yes - to support his cause. Turns out people with money donate to political campaigns- see Warren Hellman. At least Adachi's funders don't make money off the City's pension fund like ol' Warren. Anyone trying to take on the City's unions without any money would be a fool and it would amount to unilateral disarmament. I'm still getting Prop C mailers from the unions and STILL see their commercials. Even with "billionaires," Adachi is being outspent and you know this.

I'm glad you've clarified that only the Tea Party seeks donations from rich people.

Yes, Avalos did not spreahead this but he got rolled by the police and fire unions. Unlike Adachi, Avalos whom I like, could not stand up to bullies. In my mind, you can't champion the rank and file and bail on them when the going gets tough. I heard Avalos told a City employee "I'm sorry" for supporting Prop C - that's very weak.

Well we agree on the Sales tax- prop G is a joke. For all the "tax the rich" tripe we hear, the actual reality is that the City wants to tax the poor to underwrite City employee largess and that is just vile.

When politicians promise retirement security that is unfunded and without resource, that is not an act of corporate corrupton. When our City officials print lies on the ballot about pension benefits that "should not cost anything for ten years" and if they do employees will pay them - this is not an act of corporate corruption.

I'll take a politician with a spine over one without one on November 8th.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Everyone knows that REAL progressives only live in the inner Mission, Tenderloin or Haight. George Moscone was clearly a "dick" too - because he lived in St. Francis Wood as well!!

I want a full listing of what kind of car every city employee drives and where they live. The "dicks," if they're lucky, are going to be sent to reeducation camps and the dick neighborhoods depopulated and their homes and possessions distributed to the people!

Posted by guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 9:29 am

You can use them to discredit anbody without ever having to check your facts.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 10:01 am
Posted by marcos on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 10:27 am

unless a 12 year-old child stole your handle.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 2:04 pm
Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 10:21 am

For those of you new to, ignorant of, or in denial about the corruption and nepotism that infects SF politics, I suggest this oldie but goodie from Daniela Kirschenbaum as a primer or reminder. Ed Lee is just carrying on an old 'family tradition'.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 8:29 am

Link does not appear to work, looking for another. Article referenced was in FogCityJournal. Oct 29. 2006. Daniela Kirschenbaum. Pay To Play Bay Area.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Except no one cares Patrick.

Go play on the YouTubes now.

Posted by guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Tech employers,

Don't fret. It's perfectly OK for me call Marc Salomon who posts as 'Marcos' a 'dick' here because he's allowed to talk that way about others here. Marc is a computer professional who's looking for work. Would you like you and your employees to be described as 'dicks' on the Bay Guardian? Marc will do that for you if you hire him and it's perfectly fine with the Bay Guardian for Marc to spew slanderous lies about anyone here. In fact, they encourage it by allowing him to do it daily.

It's the way Bruce and Tim and Steve and Marke roll.

Go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 10:51 am

You're putting Johnny D at risk with this conduct. Better knock it off, h, John and Matt.

Posted by marcos on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 11:27 am

How surprising, an anonymous TeaParty troll doesn't care about corruption in our city politics.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 11:15 am

The beat down goes on. Corrected link.
Ed Lee "just carrying on an old family tradition"
Feinstein>Brown>Newsom>.....

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 11:33 am

You're saying we should ignore the fact that all three former Mayors support Lee? The only three Mayors who actually understand what the job demands?

And you are . . who, again?

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 11:38 am

That's a lie. Agnos doesn't support Lee.

Posted by marcos on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I didn't mention Jordan either. I was discussing only the high-profile Mayors anyone has ever heard of.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

" all three former Mayors"
Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 11:38 am

"I was discussing only the high-profile Mayors anyone has ever heard of."
Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

Idiot much?

Posted by matlock on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

who are still alive.

And then the two everyone forgets - Jordan and Agnos.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Why do you hide yours?

Posted by matlock on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Is Meatlock the same as Matlock?

Posted by Guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Really Marke,

I just got a phone call with a tirade of obscenity laced threats from Marc Salomon (Marcos to all of you potential employers) on the phone in which he threatens to, "get your friends fired" if I continue to expose him.

Now, I responded exactly once to this guy's insane and obscene posts about some of my best friends but it is the Guardian who has blame in the end because you continue to allow him to publish this garbage. Hey, he's called me everything from a homophobe to an anti-semite and everything in between on this site and that can't help my employment opportunities (if I had any). But, you allow it.

Why Marke?

Why?

Do you have any standards at all for this site?

go Niners!

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Come after my livelihood and I'll get medieval on your ass. Or do only Jeff Adachi and his hired guns get to do that?

Posted by marcos on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

H, if you want to be treated with respect, how about first showing respect to others. You have been far more guilty of filthy, specious, libelous public attacks than anyone else who posts on these blogs, and I don't see anyone deleting your posts.

Lighten up man.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

H has really gone off the deep end this time. That banning from Daly's seems to have sent him over the edge.

Posted by guest on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

You and Salomon have that cornered,

Just read your posts and read mine.

Again, Marke, you gonna continue to allow this?

h.

Posted by h. brown on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

h, use the sfbg website to come after my livelihood at the behest of Adachi and his cohorts and you all will pay in kind.

Posted by marcos on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

(Slow day, so breaking my vow by responding to nameless buffoons.)
Wildly popular...with whom exactly?
"You will never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public", especially when you have the money to disseminate false and misleading information, buy people's votes and control all the major media outlets.
One thing I am NOT is a sad little wanker skulking in the dark.
GO NINERS.
FYI, for example, Newsom.
2003; Supported by 19% of the electorate.
2007; Supported by 22% 0f the electorate, despite 'no significant challenger.
PS. I was 'campaign manager' for one of the 'insignificants'.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Nov. 02, 2011 @ 1:09 pm