A couple of months ago, I got into an argument with Enrique Pearce, who runs Left Coast Communications, the firm that set up Run Ed Run and ran one of the independent expenditure committes for Ed Lee. I told him that his firm was misnamed, that Lee was not a "left" candidate; he told me that Lee was the best bet for progressives because he was the "only candidate who could stop Leland Yee."
Now: We can all argue forever about Yee's progressive credentials (I've done that in detail here). But if Pearce was telling the truth, he was wrong, so wrong, and the numbers show it. Leland Yee came in fourth. Lee didn't prevent Yee from becoming mayor; he prevented John Avalos or Dennis Herrera from becoming mayor. Very different story, Mr. Pearce.
Willie Brown and his rich friends were all ecstatic at his party at the Palace Hotel, and why not? They're back in the game, back in charge at City Hall. And if Brown -- who, by the way, engineered this whole thing in one of the most brilliant political moves in San Francisco history -- is that happy, there's a reason for it. The wealthy and powerful interests in San Francisco think Lee is going to do what they want. That's why they're celebrating his election.
I'm not trying to be a downer here -- it's still possible that the ranked-choice voting system will put Avalos in first. But it's not at all likely. The only way that could happen: If the "anybody but Ed" vote was so strong on election day that virtually all of the second-place votes from Bevan Dufty, Jeff Adachi, Yee, David Chiu and Dennis Herrera went to Avalos. Possible, but don't be on it.
The reality is we're probably facing four years of Mayor Ed Lee, and I hope he proves me wrong and shows that he's willing to stand up to the people who put him in power. Possible, but don't be on it.
Most Commented On
- This is the agency Tim Redmond wants to charge with purchasing - April 16, 2014
- Campos will push for vacancy control if he gets in the Assembly - April 16, 2014
- Guess the potholes in the - April 16, 2014
- Wait a sec. I know texting - April 16, 2014
- CA taxes capital gains as if it were income - April 16, 2014
- Federal criminal indictment of PG&E doesn't go far enough - April 16, 2014
- Lots of private companies would meet the transit demand - April 16, 2014
- I always vote no on every revenue Prop anyway. - April 16, 2014
- "Relocation payments are - April 16, 2014
- Relocation payments are taxed at lower capital gain rates - April 16, 2014