Police raided Occupy Oakland's new encampment at Fox Square Park at 19th and Telegraph streets early Nov. 20. Some 30 tents had been set up at the park, which protesters entered Saturday evening after tearing down a chain-link fence surrounding the perimeter.
The camp was created following a Saturday afternoon march meant to highlight cuts to education which passed through the downtown Oakland banking district and stopped Lakeside Elementary School, one of five Oakland public schools that are slated for closure at the end of the school year due to budget cuts.
Occupy Oakland has called for general assembly at Frank Ogawa Plaza (renamed Oscar Grant Plaza by protesters) on Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. to talk about next steps.
Although Occupy Oakland's home was short-lived, the Guardian was on hand to capture the moment when the fence came down and occupiers rushed in.
Earlier in the afternoon, an Oakland school teacher sounded off against the budget cuts.
Videos by Shawn Gaynor
Most Commented On
- But the rest of us should be - May 25, 2013
- So when people... - May 25, 2013
- Your problem is with the syntax? - May 25, 2013
- Progressive like to claim to speak for "the people" - May 25, 2013
- Case in Point - here is a - May 25, 2013
- heh - May 25, 2013
- "Coverage" is not an - May 25, 2013
- I don't make anywhere close - May 25, 2013
- And your contribution to San Francisco - May 25, 2013
- There just doesn't seem to be any joy in Thugville - May 25, 2013