John Burton, former member of Congress, the state Assembly and the state Senate and now the chair of the state Democratic Party, has represented PG&E and real-estate developers and helped build a political machine that stifled local politics for years. But I have to say: The guy is a great interview. Deep down, he really thinks like the 99 percent and every other word out of his mouth is "fuck."
Oh, and he's always an example of sartorial splendor. Everyone in Sacramento politics wears fancy suits; John dresses like he just came from the Occupy campground. On a good day.
Check out this outstanding interview on The Daily Show (thanks, Calitics).
My favorite line:
"My daughter bought me a Kindle for my birthday and I won't use it because of those goddam people at Amazon. I go to the book store and buy a goddam book and I read it. I can read it while I'm taking a crap."
Oh, and when the Daily Show interviewer tells Burton "you cuss more than a West Coast rapper," he says:
There's nobody else like him in politics.
Most Commented On
- Where I was on the day President Kennedy was shot - July 28, 2014
- Best of the Bay 2013: BEST NORTH BEACH FRY BOMB - July 28, 2014
- Ain't nobody who can sing -- or bring the progressive fire -- - July 28, 2014
- whistleblowers - July 28, 2014
- Not a failure, but definitely - July 28, 2014
- Agree, there are too many people in SF now for one very clear - July 28, 2014
- Wrong again. My point wasn't that my definition of "fairness" is - July 28, 2014
- growth? - July 28, 2014
- So there is on definition of - July 28, 2014
- the Corporate state of America - July 28, 2014