More reasons why PG&E hurts the city

No blackouts here -- and no PG&E

I know that the folks in Santa Clara are just taking full political advantage of the Candlestick blackout, buy you have to admit: They have a persuasive case. Here's today's Bay Citizen:

On Tuesday, Santa Clara's mayor said his city's superior public infrastructure helped lure the Niners away from San Francisco.

“To say this would be unlikely here is too kind: it simply could not happen in Santa Clara,” Mayor Jamie Matthews said in a Tuesday interview.

Santa Clara’s publicly owned Silicon Valley Power agency runs its own power generation and distribution system, drawing on sources such as wind turbines on Altamont Pass.

“The reason they moved to Santa Clara is the reliability of our services,” Matthews said. “We have reliability in our electricity system that is unparalleled.”

Yep: PG&E's aging infrastructure and its inability to keep the lights on costs San Francisco jobs. And a reliable public system like the one in Santa Clara would help attract business. Maybe even more than tax breaks.

You paying attention, Mr. Mayor?

Comments

DUH

Just in case you weren't aware, we 'abandoned' democracy decades ago. We now have a corporate oligarchy.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 10:54 am

While if you lose one, the result was stolen, bribed or manipulated?

Is that is?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 11:31 am

the ruling class, along with shutting out any other parties by not allowing them to participate in presidential debates --only Ross Pero had the "resources" to do so, Nader was physically barred from even attending the presentational debates in 2000-- is your idea of a democracy?

No, I don't support Democrats or Republicans, nor do I support reformist parties such as the Green Party. I just am rather baffled that the above practices are indicative of a democracy.

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

@Michael, ditto. The IQ level of many here is a root cause of the decline of our 'democracy' and why we have so many co-opted, unqualified non-representatives.
Posted this elsewhere. I need to do a lot more background checking but the link below at least looks 'interesting'.
www.AmericansElect.org

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 12:36 pm
Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

"It's" neither a majority or a mandate.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

When you win, it's a majority and a mandate.

When you lose, it's a conspiracy, a stolen election or it's bribery and corruption.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

indulge me:

Why do you have such a vested interest in the status qou, along with defending corporate interests? It would seem to me that a person within the economic and professional class you voraciously defend would not have, nor spend, the time posting on an alternative weekly newspaper. (One that you consider rather ineffective and trivial such as this one)

Are you being paid to do so? If so, do you really think that your sponsors will continue to support you after you have worn out your usefulness for them? Do you really believe that you are providing a service to them that is unique and therefore would prolong or secure your employment with them? Or do you work for a company like PG&E, and I believe defending them will result in some kind of reward that will also ensure your employment?

Or do you have some tenuous connection with the middle to upper-class that you wish to retain, and that the continuing decline in the market makes you resort to attacking the lower classes which you fear you may soon join ranks with? Perhaps you are of working class background and exhibit the unfortunate self-loathing that manifests itself in members of the working class. Struggling, or unable, to move into a class you so wish to belong to and therefore find --hopefully, as there is always class prejudice even with the ones who worked their way up and "bettered "themselves--acceptance and self-worth. A couple of scarps thrown to you to further buffer your belief that you are somehow immune from the negative effects of capitalism.

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

There's no limit to conspiracy theories amongst those who fail to understand how the world works.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

possible scenarios I asked in regard to why you spend so much time and effort posting here. You have not address the other two scenarios, and therefore leave great doubt that you are part of the economic and professional class you defend.

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

invalidate the credibility of any others.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

and personal attacks invalidate the arguments and positions of those who rely upon them.

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

attempts at amateur psycho-analysis and I genuinely didn't deem them worthy of response.

If you can refute my points, then do so. But please don't insult readers by inferring psychological diagnoses.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

you tell me not to insult readers when that's your m.o. here? That's rich! And that would be amateur socioeconomic analysis, my friend. Psychoanalysis would me attributing your defense of corporate power by saying that you had very demanding parents who, while were never satisfied or support of your endeavors, you were in need of their constant acknowledgement, no matter how little. Thus, you have a great need to curry favor from your superiors on the corporate food chain; settling for the scarps that they toss you.

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

the topic and not your speculations about those sho disagree with you.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 23, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Look around you moronic cretin - IT ISN'T.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

So be sure and keep it up.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

It's pretty obvious by now that many of these sophomoric one-liners come from the same sad source. Probably a product of the American lack of education system. Each successive post reveals an increasingly deficient understanding of our decaying democracy; political corruption; social reality; international disrepute and impotence. Further compounded by a level of reading, comprehension and grammatical skills that would barely meet the requirements for a GED.
By the way it's 'naivety', unless you meant 'nativity', Ho-ho-ho.
My suggestion is that you 'keep it buttoned up', and consider the adage, "It is far better to say nothing and have people think that you are ignorant, than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

to criticize the Amerian public educational system?

The only thing you leanred in English public school was how to be gay. Must have been all that corporal punishment, no?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

Thank you for proving my point.
It is 'learned' not 'leanred', unless you were accusing me of having communist 'leanings', though given how unconscious you seem to be, it must have been a subconscious slip. See me after class and I will administer 'six of the best', I promise it will hurt you far more than it pleasures me, and it will be corporeal.
Also, one does not 'learn' how to be gay, any more than one learns how to be homophobic (like you), it is who you are. I know a number of my gay compadres would be happy if I was (you know who). I see you did not heed my advice and continue 'removing all doubt'.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

public school system in England tends to produce gay males into sado-masochism. This has been the subject of too many books and movies for you to be able to credibly deny that.

And the fact that you rely on correcting spelling errors to defend your corner furnishes further evidence.

Quit while you're ahead. Monk.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

books and films as "credible" evidence to support your ethnocentrism --sorry, even though IF is shot in black and white, it is not a documentary--has pretty much sunk your "credibility", Guest. Not to mention a possible nadir on the comment pages. Nice work; I bet you are proud!

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Last time I checked, Americans always seem fit to criticize other countries on a myriad of topics.

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Is this a blog for foreigners to criticize Americans?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

when my mother's father arrived in New York from Italy. So, gathering from the rationale you are displaying here "Guest", I would probably fall under the commie, art-fag category in your book.

Posted by Michael W. on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

. . .wear it.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 23, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

If you ever read my posts you would know that I don't do man-dates.
That is is.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Shameful comment. Do you write most of your comments while you're drunk?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

I am not going to take the time to read all the comments (i started to, but don't have the time to read them all) so I don't know all what else has been said or argued on this thread. However I will take a moment to add my voice to those who express there fierce displeasure with PG&E.

A common refrain during SF public power debates has been, "I flip the switch and the lights come on, but the buses area always late, keep the guv'ment outta my electrical grid."

When the Niners flip the switch in front of the entire country and the lights don't come on, you can't really use that argument anymore. But of course PG&E customers routinely have trouble with the lights coming on, or their houses getting blown up, or dying from PG&E dumping carcinogens in their drinking water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_groundwater_contamination

Do the folks defending PG&E's recall Prop 16? Well they should, because it was less than two years ago. PG&E spent $46 million dollars of our rate-payer money in a breathtakingly audacious attempt to thwart democracy and preserve a monopoly. Tellingly SF voters were nearly 70% against the measure. http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-06-10/business/21904474_1_pg-e-prop-bay-...

This was before PG&E blew up a Bay Area neighborhood.

PG&E is completely and utterly indefensible. They buy off our politicians en masse. They spend enormous sums of our money to lie to us and manipulate us with propaganda. They overcharge us. They kill us. And on top of all that, their service is substandard.

Why anyone who is not paid blood money would go out of their way to spend even two minutes defending them on an internet comment section, is unfathomable.

In all sincerity, I humbly ask those of you who have made it your life project to attack the Bay Guardian day-in and day-out -- over such things as their watchdog coverage of PG&E -- to please consider how you are spending your time and to what end.

Personally, I am IMMENSELY thankful that there are independent media outlets, such as SFBG, who are not bought off and not afraid to question corporate "power" (pun/double meaning partially intended).

Posted by Andy on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

This was before PG&E blew up a Bay Area neighborhood.

Posted by Andy on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 12:43 pm
Posted by NetRunner on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

God what a miserable, ugly, ignorant, racist, homophobic, sexist, parochial, piece of excrement this gutless guest has shown himself to be.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 22, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

spewing out insults and abuse at unknown, anonymous posters on the internet?

It's going to be a long winter.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 23, 2011 @ 6:43 am

Wrong again. My golden years will be spent primarily continuing my work as a Hospice/Geriactric Nurse for as long as I can; enjoying life with my dear wife; bicycling; woodworking and various other activities. Outing and exposing bigots like you is something I do in my spare time just for fun. Anyone who spouts the ignorant bigoted hatred that you do, and has any common sense, would naturally remain hidden under the pointy white hood of anonymity. There is nothing that I could say that would be more abusive or insulting to you than your own words.
OK, I'm done here, as I know will have to have the last word.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Dec. 23, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

Missing maps mean PG&E lines weren't inspected

"PG&E also admitted it had violated federal law that requires inspections every five years on gas distribution lines. Lines covered by the 16 maps had never been checked and were installed as long ago as 1992."

Posted by Michael W on Dec. 31, 2011 @ 12:27 am

YOU HAVE A CHOICE TO PAY LESS THAN PG&E! If you don’t like PG&E or want to pay less for your Natural Gas for your home or business, you can sign up with Ambit Energy. We entered California in September 2012 with deregulation so now you have a choice of who you buy your gas from. Nothing changes for you except a line on your bill and that you will save at least 8% or more per month. We offer a variable rate or a locked in contract rate. In addition, you get a 2 night hotel stay as a thank you gift, earn monthly travel points, and can earn free gas each month. Visit my customer website: http://www.hambit.joinambit.com or e-mail me at cshambit@cox.net or visit my personal website at www.energymlmca.com or my personal consultant website at www.hambit.whyambitworks.com Lots of choices, visit one or them all! Hope to hear from you, Susan

Posted by Susan H on Feb. 07, 2013 @ 10:32 pm