OccupyOakland vigil dismantled, 11 arrested

Oakland Police officers in riot gear once again use force to disperse a peaceful protest.
Yael Chanoff

After several nights of threats, the OccupyOakland vigil at 14th and Broadway was dismantled last night by police, and this latest incident in a series of aggressive arrests has prompted the Interfaith Tent group to pledge to return today at 2 pm to protest at the spot.

Eleven people were arrested throughout the incident. Seven have been charged with obstruction of justice. Bail has been set at $5,000. Others have additional misdemeanor and felony charges, and are being held in lieu of between $10,000 and $30,000 in bail.

Police entered the plaza a few minutes after 11 pm. About 50 people were at the steps of Frank Ogawa Plaza, renamed Oscar Grant Plaza by protesters. Protest materials included a teepee, a food table, an information table, a media table with power and computers, a decorated umbrella serving as an “Interfaith Space,” a platform, flag and protest sign accompanying a tree sitter, and prayer flags strung overhead.

On Dec. 30, the city of Oakland had revoked a permit allowing for the teepee and information table, and threatened arrest if protesters did not remove those items. Without issued a specific warning that they would be arriving at that time, several police cars pulled up on 14th St at 11:06 pm. About 50 police in riot gear, wielding batons, emerged from the vehicles and lined up on the far end of the plaza. After a captain gave some orders, the officers advanced as a line.

Many protesters ran off. A few dozen continued to stand in the vicinity of the vigil. As police advanced, some shouted, “You must leave now! You must back up or you will be arrested now!”

Protesters responded, “What are you arresting me for?” to which officers repeated the order to back up. About five protesters stood in front of the teepee, as others obeyed orders to back up. Those five were arrested. Police dismantled the teepee.

“You’ve gotta leave. We’ve been told to make you leave. We’re doing what we’re told,” one officer said. He declined to answer a question from the Guardian on who the order came from.

Police ceased advancing when they had formed a line surrounding the vigil area.

A Public Works Agency truck pulled on the plaza and workers began loading all protest materials into the truck. Police did not attempt to dislodge the tree-sitter.

Police had left the plaza by 11:45 pm, leaving no trace of protest materials on the ground. Protesters marched to the Glenn E. Dyer Detention Facility where arrestees had been taken, and when several entered the building demanding information about those arrested, but were promptly pushed out by police.

Members of the Interfaith organizing contingent within Occupy Oakland have planned another march for 2 pm today. A Facebook event says that protesters may meet at the Plaza, “erect the canopy and then go into city hall to occupy the mayor’s and city administrator’s offices.” (https://www.facebook.com/events/280730585308960/)

Comments

Yes, the best tool of the USA government always has been ignore the little people and what the are forcing the people to do, it is leave the country, but not as political refugee to China or any other country, as loser in the heart of the Empire of evil.

Posted by Lazaro Javier Garcia on Jan. 05, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

Just leave them in jail, please.

Posted by Chromefields on Jan. 06, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 06, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Until the weather turned cold. I'd like to see a volley of rubber bullets greet the Interfaith Alliance.

Posted by Chromefields on Jan. 06, 2012 @ 10:18 am

they keep warm and dry this winter, and maybe eat some sushi once in a while.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 06, 2012 @ 10:40 am

they'll always have the STD's. Hopefully, they'll be spayed or neutered before they're released.

Posted by Chromefields on Jan. 06, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Hey. Please don't jerk each other off in a public comment thread, creeps.

Posted by the Doctor on Jan. 07, 2012 @ 6:30 am

Hey. Please don't jerk each other off in a public comment thread, creeps. Don't you two have, like... jobs or some other reason to leave your apartments? I spend a lot of time outside, since I'm almost always at work, getting involved with improving my community, feeding and taking care of the homeless, learning about race, class, gender & other socioeconomic divides, educating people about the current war that is being waged on the working class, hanging out with my friends and/or watching all of those friends get beaten and arrested under charges like 'resisting arrest' and 'lynching' while their personal belongings are destroyed and stolen in front of their eyes. Last week was especially difficult, since they've made multiple arrests every day, often snatching those who wander away from the group, ostensibly kidnapping them. It's not super fun to have to find a buddy so that someone won't grab you and pull you into a squad car on your way to the restroom.

Around midnight, when I finally get home to my tiny Oakland apartment that I share with 3 people, 2 cats and a rescued dog, all I want to do is take off my medic kit and call my parents back in LA to tell them that I didn't get hurt or arrested today, again, and that I also promise to not let it happen on a school night when the semester starts up at UC Berkeley. What I DON'T want to do is read a nice article about the things I've been up to lately and then have it spoiled by a couple of trolls (I'll be kind and refrain from implying that you're just ONE lonely guy high-fiving himself) whose lives are apparently so starved for purpose and some means of productivity that they have to hunt down internet articles that say positive things about stuff they don't like and then express their disturbingly perverted and violent thoughts about the people involved at the bottom of the page.

PS: You can probably tell by now that I am being incredibly condescending to you, highlighting how great of a person I am in order to make a point. Don't worry; you deserved it. You've been very ignorant, rude, pathetic, etc. in here, and I'm pretty confident that this isn't an isolated incident. You'll never be able to validate your existence by devaluing the struggles and accomplishments of others. Instead of trying to tear down everyone else, why not just improve yourselves? It's much easier, I swear. And if you ever feel up to the task of turning your lives around, why don't you stop by Oscar Grant Plaza? My name is Liz, but I'm more easily identified by the rainbow hair or messenger bag with the only red cross that ISN'T made out of duct tape. I'd be happy to show you around and we're always ready to help out a fellow human being, no matter where they come from. I mean, as long as they don't come with riot gear and hidden badge numbers. =]

Posted by Liz the Doctor on Jan. 07, 2012 @ 7:51 am

Also from this author

• Privatization of public housing

Many residents feel they're moving from the frying pan of Housing Authority control into the fire of developer and nonprofit management

• Homeless for the holidays

Changing demographics in the Bayview complicate city efforts to open a shelter there

• Betting on Graton

Newest casino targeting Bay Area residents promises to share the wealth with workers and people of color