Sheriff Mirkarimi charged with domestic violence

DA George Gascón announces the filing of charges against Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi.
Steven T. Jones

Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi has been charged with three misdemeanors in connection with an alleged domestic violence incident against his wife, Eliana Lopez, on New Year's Eve, District Attorney George Gascón announced this afternoon. Gascón said a restraining order has been issued that bars Mirkarimi from contacting his wife and child and that bail has been set at $35,000, although he was unaware whether Mirkarimi had been booked yet.

Mirkarimi is being charged with one misdemeanor each of domestic violence battery, child endangerment, and dissuading a witness from testifying. Gascón said their young son, Theo, was present during the incident. Lopez has refused to speak with investigators, but she has publicly denied that her husband has ever abused her.

Mirkarimi has maintained his innocence, as he did again with Lopez by his side during a City Hall press conference held simultaneously with Gascón's press conference at the Hall of Justice. "We believe that these charges are very unfounded and we will fight those charges. I'm confident in the end that we will succeed,” Mirkarimi said, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. It was unclear whether the appearance with Lopez violated the restraining order.

Gascón confirmed press reports that Lopez had communicated via text message about the incident with the neighbor who ultimately contacted police – although he refused to disclose or characterize the contents of the communications – and that there was a photo taken of an injury to Lopez's arm. He also said there are indications that this was not an isolated incident and the investigation is continuing. “We have heard there have been other instances,” Gascón said.

The fact that the charges were misdemeanors wouldn't require Mirkarimi's removal from the office he assumed just last weekend if he's convicted, but he has already been required to relinquish any weapons, including his service revolver. He faces a year in jail and three years probation on the charges.

“While we do not relish having to bring charges against a San Francisco elected official, I have taken an oath to uphold the laws of the state of California and as the chief law enforcement officer for the city and county of San Francisco it is my solemn duty to bring criminal charges when the evidence supports such action. No one is above the law,” Gascón said. “Whether this was the elected Sheriff or any other San Francisco resident, this type of behavior is inexcusable, criminal, and will be prosecuted.”

Gascón also said that while Lopez has refused to cooperate, he believes there is ample evidence to bring charges. “A case is always stronger if the victim is willing to testify. However, it is very common for victims to be uncooperative in domestic violence cases," Gascón said, noting that his office filed 771 domestic violence cases last year. He also said, “Regardless of whether the victim supports a prosecution, it is the state's and my office's obligation to ensure the safety of the victim.”

Comments

ALL cases should be investigated and pursued without fear or favor.
Some may appear to be more 'serious' than others.
Some seem to be pursued with more 'vigor' than others.
The following does not appear to have been one of those.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 15, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Something the other 180+ comments never mentioned. Thought-provoking.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 15, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

Just some basic facts so you don't get confused again.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 9:32 am

People saying things like Ross's family deserves to be torn apart, that Eliana is "sick" and needs psychological help... forget the fact that there's one troll who shouts "conspiracy" anytime someone disagrees with him. That's just par for the course. But the systematic character assassination of not just Ross, but his family... this stuff is vile.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 15, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

as a well-known person. You're acting surprised - which is curious. There is a free press in this country as well as freedom of speech - people are gonna say shit.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 15, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

It's that you are actually spinning conspiracy theories.

Nothing is real is it, there is some secret unseen hand behind everything. Right?

Posted by matlock on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 11:32 am

Recapping the discussion to date:

1. Progressives will bend over backward to protect a fellow progressive.
2. Progressives run like scared rabbits from the "L" word.
3. If the Sheriff were a conservative, he would have been run out of town by Progressives.
4. Webster's Dictionary now lists "Greg" as now a synonym for "hypocrite."

That's all.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 1:30 am

Dont forget that when a progressive is accused of a crime the following are true:
1) The DA must act as prosecutor and show all evidence during the announcement of intent to charge
2)The DA must review all prior decisions by previous DA's for accuracy
3)The DA must not follow normal DV protocol when dealing with the alleged

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Because she didn't listen the first time.

Posted by Chromefields on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 11:17 am

A lot of guys would hit a chick but not usually in the face. I'll give Ross the benefit of the doubt on that charge, but it seems fairly clear that he obviously did something bad.

And he really shouldn't have tried to tamper with the witness.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

If you did that, you should be arrested. Pretty sick of you to get on her and, what, brag? about the way you mistreat women.

I hope you get arrested.

If you're trying to spread lies here, it shows how weak you and your team's position is that you need this bs to try to win this argument. Let me help you out: the accusation is he GRABBED HER ARM for which there was no noticeable bruise on her arm four or five days later when she wore a sleeveless dress in front of reporters at City Hall.

Keep telling the lies - it makes your team look more desperate than they already are.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 11:26 pm
Posted by Cain on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Pretty much sums it up, although a few words in there blaming Brugman and Redmond wouldn't have been amiss.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

So admirable that you are abel to get such pleasure out of the problems of others.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

particularly about Ross's self-inflicted denouement.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 8:18 am

The article was unfortunately a pretty accurate description of the failings of 'the movement', and reflected the criticisms some of us on 'the left' have been making for a long time.
However I do not accept that it repudiates the goals of 'the movement', (Freedom; Equality; Civil Rights; Brother/Sisterhood; Environmentalism etc). To many 'progressives' seem to have lost their way and become compromised as they struggle for political power and personal advancement. This co-option has spawned a new breed of fascist haters who feed on their vulnerabilities in an effort to perpetuate their policies of greed, militarism, racism and exploitation.
"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people". (MLK)
"...Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me" (MN)

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Domestic violence is a real and serious issue. If any women want to know if they are in an abusive relationship and how they can get out of one, I recommend visiting http://OnlineCEUcredit.com/edu/domestic-violence-bw. Hope this is helpful.

Posted by Kathy Patterson on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

Posters to this comments board have assumed facts that are not facts. Eliiana Lopez did not go running to her neighbor asking for help and telling her to photograph her "abuse."
I'm very sickened by the fanciful, capricious way people have decided they know the story here when they don't.
Eliana Lopez was not then and is not now a victim who was afraid to come forward. Anyone who knows this couple knows she could stand on her own two feet and that she was not afraid of Ross. It's ridiculous that people keep acting as if she stood by him afterwards because that's what victims do. She is not a victim. Why do I know this? I know the couple and so I know.
What this case has shown me is that people are vicious and ugly and hateful--and I don't mean the person charged in this case. I almost don't want to read any more stories about this they upset me so. I certainly won't read any more comments. People comment first and think second, if they think at all. It does nothing to further the discourse. It's all snark and rudeness.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

If there is photographic evidence of bruising to her body and it's proven to have been caused by the Sheriff, will you be back to admit your error?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

While I obviously don't know whether these allegations have merit, I do know that Ross has a long history of being verbally abusive to his staff. This was the primary reason I did not support him in his run for D5 supe. As a progressive, I was sick of people voting, but not living, my values. I watched seemingly helplessly as folks like Carole Migden and Chris Daly treated people like crap, ceding "civil discourse" to the middle and right.

I doubt this incident will cause us to collectively think about how our allies treat others more generally--but I hope it does.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

You wrote: "Ross has a LONG HISTORY of being verbally abusive to his staff" but then you provided no evidence of such an accusation.

So why didn't you back up your provocative accusation WITH ANYTHING???

You could have spoken of your own experiences. But you didn't so nothing there.

You could have spoken of friends or people you knew who worked for Ross and were treated badly. You didn't do that either.

You could have discussed things in the press such as something you read and then one could do a Google search on it. Didn't do that either.

Thus if I was placing a bet on whether you were bs'ing or being truthful, I'd put a high probability that you're bs'ing.

A big piece of evidence that totally contradicts what you wrote is the words of his longtime girlfriend (about 8 years) who said the allegations really surprised her because he was never abusive in any way towards her. She said he always wanted to talk things through.

So it appears either you're lying or she is. She's a former gf who has given her name to the press to say this (as well as apparently staying with Ross for 8 years). You haven't given your name or any other name that says he or she was abused by Ross. She has a lot more credibility than you - you have none (and almost went out of your way to keep it that way by providing NOTHING to back up the strong words).

If you can't back it up, one should assume you're a liar who's no progressive (the second apparent lie in your post) - only one who see's an opportunity to use lies to hurt progressives.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 16, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

interactions with Ross.

Moreover, his temper is well known and oft commented upon. That doesn't mean he hit his wife, however. But if there is another explanation for how those bruises got on his wife, then he should come forward and tell us.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 8:20 am

Here's what he wrote, "I do know that Ross has a long history of being verbally abusive to his staff."

Saying one knows x is not evidence that one knows x. If one knows x and wants others to feel confident he / she knows x, he or she would be wise to give some details about knowing x - where he / she witnessed the abuse, the circumstances, what was said by Ross, what was the tone, what was the reaction of the person receiving the abuse. None of that was given - thus it wasn't backed up.

Even in his / her response to my post, he / she, once again gave NO evidence - only a "well I thought it was well known." Sorry that doesn't cut it.

The interview by Ross's ex-gf counters completely the picture of a person that has a temper. She apparently lived with him for 8 years and said she was shocked to hear of these charges because "he liked to talk things out" so according to her interview, it's not "well known."

Until I hear actual details (that can be verified to some extent) by either the poster or someone who worked for him, I'm not going to give it any credibility due to the words of his ex-gf and due to not once hearing about his temper in the Chron from either Chron reporters or from supervisors that have worked with him.

And you say "his temper is well known." Let's hear the details - did you experience it firsthand and if not, where did you read it? Can you provide a link - ANY LINK - or ANY DETAILS with some facts (that I can verify) of this "oft commented upon" temper?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 9:59 am

as first-hand reports of others who have direct experience.

The fact that it's "common knowledge" merely adds further support for the hypothesis being true. And it is significant that NOBODY has claimed Ross has no temper.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 11:11 am

just because nobody claimed that Ross has no temper doesn't mean that he is tempermental. your argument is so weak, it's laughable.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Including Ross's own supporters?

When even his supporters talk about his temper, we know it must be true.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 18, 2012 @ 6:32 am

It is true that I gave no backups, because I thought that this was generally known (but overlooked). Ask his staffers (both campaign and city hall). While I have not received the abuse first-hand, I have seen it first hand. Again, I posted this because I thought it was generally known, but not talked about, amongst those who work in these circles. But I understand, if it is not generally known, that this can feel like an ad hominem attack. Not the intent.

I just want us (and, yes, I *am* a progressive) to think about how "our" electeds treat other people. Being a fierce advocate for change doesn't have to mean being an asshole (see John Avalos as a good example). I think we hurt ourselves by not being upfront about the problems in our own community--and fixing them.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 5:32 am

One thing the press has not examined at all is why Gascon slapped Mirkarimi with a restraining order that keeps him away from his wife and his young son and does not allow him even to telephone the child. What is that about? People I know who work with DV victims say they have never heard of such a thing when the alleged victim has not contacted authorities, no 911 call was ever made (the neighbor, remember, called the local precinct, not 911, and that was four days after the alleged incident), when the alleged victim has refused to press charges and when it is a misdemeanor case. What is going on here?
Will someone in the press please look into this?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 6:54 am

The duration of them at this point is fairly short, typically until the enxt court appearance. If there is a conviction, then a 3 year RO is normal.

A RO can also be pursued in civil court, typically also for 3 years. Some wives do that in case the criminal case fails.

And obviously reports were made to the police else things would not have gotten this far.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 8:23 am

But I've yet to hear of a case where one was imposed even though neither party wanted it. Can you dig up even one other such example?

Posted by Greg on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

Even with the initial RO's, a judge has to sign it.

Are you accusing the judge who signed this to be lying?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 18, 2012 @ 6:33 am

Will someone in the press look into who this lunatic obsessive is that keeps posting over and over again about hayes-white and Gascon?

Honestly, every site covering this story that allows comments is plastered over with his commentary in support of Mirkarimi.

its creepy, and delusional

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 7:52 am

thinks he is helping his fallen idol by endlessly drawing attention to this and seeking to make it a conspiracy.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 8:21 am

The public don't like it when their DAs use double standards - prosecute one group of ppl for something but then let another group go for the same thing. It looks like a politically-based prosecution then.

But I'm confident you're not too stupid to realize this. I salute the poster who is posting the examples of the double standard of prosecution by SF's DAs.

The real question I'd like to know is why are you so afraid of someone pointing out the double standard? Are you saying it's not a double standard? Give an answer.

Are you saying the quotes he's posting that Hayes-White's former husband (made while he was still married to her) are bs? Are you saying that? Give an answer.

If you're not or won't answer then you should shut up because then all you're doing is telling people to "look the other way, nothing to see here" when the double standard of who gets prosecuted for DV is obvious.

The only lunatic here is one who can't recognize a double standard of prosecution for the same thing by the DA when it's staring them in the face.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Lets hope our DA, reverts back to say 1900 standards.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 10:42 am

I don't think anyone is advocating for preferential treatment, there is no excuse for DV in any shape or form. It is the 'double standard' that is troubling.
But don't expect any of the ignorant haters here to be concerned about the unbiased enforcement of the law, the incident documented above is proof of that.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 10:53 am

BS! I am 100% sure that this " I salute the poster who is posting the examples of the double standard of prosecution by SF's DAs."
is just you.

What a lunatic! Do we have a ross stalker on the boards now?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Hypothesis: A not so secret and not so intelligent organization has been watching Ross and family for years. The eve of 2012 offered a time to orchestrate a scandal because org feared Ross's ability to bring fairness to SF as Sheriff and also feared his future in politics.

This is the era of the PATRIOT ACT. COINTELPRO is still alive. Sheriff Mirkarimi is lucky he has not been dragged off to some place like Guantanamo, where surely some people would want him. Early 2011 the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center in Memphis was raided. Peace activists and people wanting equality in this world are still under the eye of big blubber. Remember that yesterday's MLK Day is to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr., a preacher of peace who was assassinated. There is a big, secret budget that funds covert operations to plan and implement strategic strikes against peaceful people across the globe. Big secret budgets might have even your own neighbors on a 3 letter payroll with a different company's name as the payee. Your neighbors might be paid to fabricate stories about you if you happen to be a peaceful Iranian. The not so secret and not so intelligent orgs orchestrate scandals, riots, print up faux news, and even use deadly weapons till the mission is accomplished. We have to be aware of these tactics everyday if we want to know the truth of the world and if we want to avoid being bamboozled.

There are people who have been keen on invading Iran for a long time. Ross Mirkarimi's rise in politics is no doubt perceived as a threat to warmongers. Mr. Mirkarimi has a low bail because he has no record. He supports the community and has been involved with the arts, crime deterrence, education, and is like an ambassador of the Persian culture. It is harder to rally the homeland against the "enemy" when an Iranian American is doing great things in San Francisco.

The truth is out, out, out.

Posted by gyananakashu on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 9:33 am

The truth is out, out, out.

Posted by gyananakashu on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 9:37 am

until I read further. The author is actually serious.

Mirkarimi is an "ambassador for Persian culture" and this now has something to do with the Zionists and their coming attach on Iran?

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 10:01 am

Either way, loved it - fun read. Thx.

Posted by Longtime Lurker on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 10:34 am

Wow, who knew? Thanks for the head's up, gyananakshucrazysob!

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

how do you know this isn't a right-wing troll who is just posting this to make progressives look like conspiracy theorists? Don't trust anything you read in the comments section unless the poster has the courage to sign their name to it (and even then).

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

"conspiracy theoriests" because they nearly all are.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 18, 2012 @ 6:34 am

SFGate just posted a story recounting the arrest warrant affidavit and the contents of the videotape. It sounds pretty bad.

Posted by The Commish on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

This part "the former city supervisor had warned her he could gain custody of their young son because he was "very powerful," court documents show."

Watching that guy in action on cable access, that he behaves that was is easy to believe.

If all this comes out to be true, what a POS.

Posted by matlock on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

"hushed up"? If true, that's worse than the three counts he's already facing.

And how many days after being sworn was this? Perhaps it shows more than anything that Progressives are well suited to opposition, where they can complain without having any accountibility for getting thigns done.

But put them in power and the stress exceeds their abilities.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

he does not represent every damn progressive in SF. quit with the generalizations. it makes you look foolish.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 5:50 pm
heh

That complaint is bit late in the game considering our progressives attribute all sorts of things like this to status and political affiliation. That ship has sailed with most of the Woody Allen/Alan Alda progressives.

The Mirkarimi complex is more likely systemic of people who go into politics be they right, left or middle. Super high self esteem mixed with Narcissism.

The apologist are the same, the Nixon apologist like conspiracy ravings here are too much.

Posted by matlock on Jan. 17, 2012 @ 6:16 pm