Mirkarimi's not going anywhere

Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi may be guilty of domestic violence, and if he is -- as I've said repeatedly -- it's a serious crime and he should be held accountable. It will be very hard for him to remain in office with a DV conviction, even if it's just a misdemeanor.

But right now, the charges are just that -- charges. In the eyes of the law, he's innocent until proven guilty. So I don't see how Mayor Ed Lee can suspend him.

Lee's under a lot of pressure, and under the City Charter, he has the sole authority to suspend an office holder for "official misconduct," which is defined as "wrongful behavior by a public officer in relation to the duties of his or her office." If there's a suspension, the Ethics Commission and the Board of Supervisors would both have to vote to remove Mirkarimi permanently.

But here's the thing: Lee has no evidence of official misconduct -- not unless the district attorney decides to turn over to the mayor all of the files in the criminal case, at which point Ethics and the supes would be holding mini trials of their own on evidence that hasn't been adjudicated in court (and a court may rule some of it inadmissable).

That doesn't seem likely (and it would be very odd for the D.A. to join the mayor in what would amount to a second prosecution).

And all of this would be going on at a time when the actual criminal trial is only four weeks away.

The courts have interpreted "official misconduct" fairly narrowly. If Mirkarimi is convicted, then the city attorney can get into the argument over whether domestic violence has any "relation to the duties" of the Sheriff's Office, and since he's a law-enforcement officer, that might not be too hard to argue. Certainly the charge of influencing a witness would be subject to that interpretation. So after a conviction, Lee would be in a position to think seriously about suspension -- if Mirkarmi didn't step down on his own.

But right now, there's no conviction. In terms of the court system (that would have to get involved) Mirkarimi isn't guilty of anything yet.

Mirkarimi could decide to take a leave of absence, although he doesn't seem inclined to do that. But whatever the merits of the case, and whatever the political arguments about whether the sheriff can do his job in the middle of this media circus, I -- admittedly as a nonlawyer -- can't see how Lee could possibly invoke the suspension provisions of the Charter.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Comments

Thomas got approved after sexually harassing Anita Hill just like Newsom continued on and got promoted after sexually harassing Ruby Tourke and every other employee of room 200 who did not get special treatment for not fucking Newsom and breaking up their family.

Gotta tell you, I was driving my old truck up I-80 through Berkeley to Mt. Lassen with the Thomas/Hill hearings on the radio and almost cracked it up when Hill went on with "He would constantly be taking about his penis, commenting on the size of his penis" I was laughing so hard.

Who put pubic hairs on my coke can?

Posted by marcos on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 8:07 am

Seems everything to do with female oppression is treated as a joke, minimized or written off entirely in order to demean women. When you consider the fact that these guys won't lift a finger to support female candidates, you gotta wonder what these dudes really have to offer us(?). Do prog women have to take this shit? We make up 50% of the voters in this town. Perhaps it's time we developed a score card, and stopped voting for prog males who demean women, or who fail to support women candidates and women's issues. Just saying.

Posted by Prog Woman on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Just read the responses here.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

"Sexism amongst progressive males is enemic."

And here I was thinking Arthur Evans is dead!

Posted by Greg on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 12:34 am

Who would have thought?

Greg loves a sexual abuser. Greg loves sexual harassers. Greg LOVES a man who can slap his bitch up (or - in the case of Mirkarimi: one who can slap ALL his bitches up!).

Greg is a real MAN.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 1:01 am

Just curious. How long have you lived in SF. Who was your candidate and who did you support/work for as Mayor in '08.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

The above was posted as a reply to 'prog woman'. God only knows where this will end up.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Answer the question!!!! ANSWER!!!

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

1) What is 'the question' you're so fixated on?
2) I do not have to 'verify' anything, especially not to one such as you who is
'lacking individuality, unique character or distinction'.
3) However, one more time, just to 'humor' you and your narrow minded,
delusional dip-shit cretinous cohort, I have never claimed to be a 'progressive',
I eschew all attempts to simplistically divide, demean and categorise people,
though when fools such as yourself set yourself up as easy targets I am not
above taking cheap shots.
I realise it is difficult for you to conduct a coherent conversation,
engage in a reasonable dialog , or follow a rational train of thought, it's not your
fault that you were mis/un-educated. So let me just repeat what I have stated
for decades whenever mental midgets have 'demanded' that I pigeon hole
myself so that their little bird brains don't get over taxed with concepts beyond
their ken.
I am a 'radicalzenanarcho-yippiehumanistmofo', and if I'm ever accused of
being one I will vehemently deny it.
As Popeye says "I yam what I yam". You, on the other hand, are dogmeat.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

Da-da!!

My answer is that - hagfish.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

.....usual ridiculous BS. Sad little wanker.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 8:57 am

Eileen Hansen, Debra Walker, Jane Kim, Kim-Shree Maufas, hello, progressive men have supported progressive women over the years when they put together credible campaigns. Going back in time, Carole Migden, Roberta Achtenberg, Sue Bierman....

My reaction in the early 1990s was that a conservative woman was charging a conservative man with graphic sexual harassment because it stands in stark contrast to their stated "moral" values.

Feel free to not vote for me. I'm not.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Totally agreed. I am outraged that the allegedly progressive men in this town have been as silent as they have been -- or vocal in their defense of someone who is a known verbal abuser.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

This goes beyond just Newsom as after his little triste and lie about being a heavy-drinker (total denial; alcoholic) instead of really admitting his heavy drug use.

It was well documented that she cracked a pint over her husband's head. And, she is appointed to protect something equally important plus the firefighters themselves. (See Denis Leary and 'Rescue Me' TV series)

But, NO, she wasn't removed by the mayor. I guess that would be hypocritical because then he would have to step down himself for his shortcomings.

You all need AA!

Posted by MistOfTheCity on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

The guy's name is synonymous with "wife beater" in this town. His most widely circulated and recognizable photo is a mugshot. He heads a department that despises him. And he's just a douche, lol.

The fact that a few progressives are tying themselves to this epic shitbag is AWESOME. It's like they can't resist the urge to fail. Go for it, Greg. Get it girl!

Posted by Sambo on Jan. 24, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

good for him.

If he ran the jail well and he was cleared of all charges, or went into some progressobot feel good, "I've reformed" then I would be happy to see him travel along his career path.

This should be a dead end, and the whole carpet bagger thing should come to an end for Ross and his pals.

Posted by matlock on Jan. 24, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

There was one Gunsmoke where Marshall Dillon was framed for murder. He toughed it out no matter what the lynch mob did.

In the eyes of law: A person is innocent until proven guilty. In the eyes of a mob there are no innocents.

Too many people with axes to grind out to get him no matter what. Just remember if mud slinging brings him down anyone may be next.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 4:30 am

He shouldn't have wanted the job, because it's an admin role, not a policy-making role. And because he'd be put in the position of doing things like evictions and foreclosures which I'm sure he disapproves of.

We shouldn't have elected him, because he has no LE experience, and is tempermentally ill-suited to a LE position. And because LE officers are never going to respect him.

And he should have kept his infamous temper under control, especially with the various owmen in his life.

Ross stepping down, whether voluntary or because he gets kicked out, could be best for everyone, inlcuding poor, sad Ross himself.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

But we did and you lost. Ross graduated from the SFPD academy, president of his class. That's as much LE experience as you need to be Sheriff.

Doing violence to tens of thousands of voters if this election ends up being overturned by political shenanigans has to be measured against an incident of domestic violence as far as scope and severity of damage goes.

So long as there are no bruises on the forearms of democracy, no harm, no foul, eh?

It looks to me like Sam Singer is reverse engineering damage control here, and that Cunnie's op research was held before the election in fear of a Miyamoto win were Ross taken down because the POA is toxic at the ballot box, and that Cunnie's people feel their odds are better for an appointment now that Lee is in office.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

that he's an abusive wife beater.

Ross would lose massively if the election were now, and he can no longer reasonably claim a mandate.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

So we're down to trivializing the experience of violence from now THREE women who were involved with Ross ? So you can get you're little mental masturbation conspiracy theory in ?
Did the golds steam room close early today? Or are you just personna non grata

Posted by Greg on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

Winner gets to smack Ross's wife around. Apparently she's gotten used to it and doesn't notice any more.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

@Greg. You know as well as I do that these Cognitively Impaired Anonymous Guests have no interest in, or capacity to engage in, any kind of substantial debate. Much to my delight and amusement they constantly display their ignorance; don't know the names of current Presidential candidates; don't know who is alive or dead; demonstrate minimal understanding of our SF political history; I need say no more. Humor them with an occasional response but don't encourage them.
To quote my Dad, "Suffer fools gladly, just be glad you're not one of them".
Next up - Spring Training.
GO GIANTS.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

How are those memoirs coming along?

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

@Cognitively and Congenitally Impaired, you who are/were, "Deformed, unfinish'd, sent before my time into this breathing world, scarce half made up, and that so lamely and unfashionable that dogs bark at me as I halt by them", you really can't tell your arsehole from a hole in the ground can you, no matter how far your head is stuck up it. It's kinda fun to see you making such a fool of yourself.
PS.
@h. In case you ever waste your time here, give me a call, I actually have the same question as doofus. Guess I could call you or stop by but I don't want to interrupt your tenuous twisted train of tortured thoughts.
GO GIANTS.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

But that should be obvious from the content. IMO, ad hominem shit like this shouldn't even be allowed.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

KTVU is reporting that a 3rd woman is coming out of the woodwork to raise allegations against RM.

Posted by The Commish on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Vast and directed from foreign lands.

From the sounds of it Mirk has a thing for Latina women. Guess he got more than he bargained for.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 9:03 am

a bitch to smack around until this all blows over.

Posted by Chromefields on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Just, wow.

"If the progressive community just stands behind him, he can beat this". Good luck...

Posted by Longtime Lurker on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 12:19 pm
Posted by Guest on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

so he's on to his second lawyer now.

Because that's what people who are totally in control and have a rock solid case do, right? No really... right Greg, Monk, Tim, etc.?

In about three weeks we have multiple charges, three different alleged victims, bruises, videotapes, text messages, a concerned neighbor, now a second neighbor, a split with the attorney, and....

** YOU ARE STILL DEFENDING THIS SHITBAG??? ***

Like, how? And what the fuck are you now doing with the "Anita Hill was overblown too" thing? Really? I never, ever believed the progressive boys club thing Arthur would talk about on here, thought it was kind of a faux-argument designed to conflict your movement.

But gawd damn it's actually true!! LOL... Arthur Evans, bet you're having fun with this up there.

Posted by Sambo on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

Arthur Evans isn't having any fun. "Up there" there is only a gradually thinning atmosphere, giving way to empty space, and no part of Arthur Evans is "up there." Arthur Evans is in a 6' hole in the ground (*down* there), and the maggots are eating his carcass as we speak.

He certainly won't be trolling this blog anymore... though Monk-H Claptrap/Sambo/Guest/"Prog" Woman is doing his best to channel his inner Arthur troll.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 12:31 am

you ever were Greg.

He'd never defend a wife-abuser or call someone like Anita Hill a "weak case."

He's everything you never could or would be.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 12:56 am
Was

First of all, Arthur Evans "was," not "is." Arthur Evans "isn't anything," except dead, buried, and being eaten by maggots. And dare I say the world is better off that way?

As for me, I just refuse to be a hypocrite (even if it means agreeing with matlock, the other troll on this board, every now and then.). Incidentally, you should be directing some of your bile his way too, since he said the case was "overcooked." But you won't. You, like matlock, save all your bile for progressives, because you're both hypocrites.

I refuse to condemn someone before all the facts come out. Given how often some of these media trials have gone wrong, I say let's take a step back. That's what I've been arguing for from day one. And I don't care whether the defendant is liberal or conservative or progressive.

Speaking of sanity, I found a little bit of it coming from an unusual place:
The last paragraph is the money quote.

I suppose you'll now denounce Debra Saunders as a shill for male violence and objectification of women or whatever else now.

Oh, wait, no you won't. I forget. You save all your bile for progessives, because you're a hypocrite.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 9:04 am

You sound drunk at this point.

I realize people are goading you, which sucks. But you might be better off not making referenced to Anita Hill being a drama queen and Arthur Evans corpse...

Just an FYI. Now carry on everyone.

Posted by Longtime Lurker on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

Your Gregisms are hysterical! Nothing funnier than a hypocritical (i.e. a "Greg") liberal. Who knew what lengths liberals would go to protect, cover, lie, cheat, and steal for one of their own. This train wreck is a riot!

Of course, what goes around, comes around. So we will all expect your support for the next Republican who goes off the rails, right? LOL!

Here are a few bumper stickers for you:

Save the Wife Beaters!

Stop this Endless Criticism of Wife Beaters!

Green Wife Beater on Board!

Friends Don't Let Friends Vote Against Wife Beaters!

Posted by Guest on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

@ all 'prog' men and women; lovers and haters; impsters and anonymous guests; dickheads and dipshits; etc.
Where were you when Ahimsa needed you.
(Stay tuned for possible 'interesting' developments).

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

Because I'm your love child.

Love child - never meant to be. Love child - born in poverty.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown CI on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

What? What does she have to do with any of this? I don't think she is his type at all plus she has had it out for him for some time. She is a little imbalance.

Posted by MistOfTheCity on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Bad handle, you are not in the mist, you are in a deep fog.
It is better to remain silent and have people think you are ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

This ill-begottenn little bastard is in desperate need of 'professional' help. I would suggest a lobotomy but I doubt there is much to zap.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

I think we should leave this guy alone. I mean, he has the ability to beat his wife and have her be totally cool with it! Imagine what he could do to criminals and the prison population.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 25, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

He has to tough it out.....the guy is UNEMPLOYABLE except for being a "political director" for the SEIU like the other scumbag, Chris Daly.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

Com'n Folks! The vast majority of bruises caused by grabbing with or without shaking lasts more than 9 days from the incidence, and even longer if she was low on iron (enemic). There is no denying this. We've all had bruises.

How Long Do Bruises Last?
You know how a bruise changes color over time? That's your body fixing the bruise by breaking down and reabsorbing the blood, which causes the bruise to go through many colors of the rainbow before it eventually disappears. You can pretty much guess the age of a bruise just by looking at its color:

When you first get a bruise, it's kind of reddish as the blood appears under the skin.
Within 1 or 2 days, the hemoglobin (an iron-containing substance that carries oxygen) in the blood changes and your bruise turns bluish-purple or even blackish.
After 5 to 10 days, the bruise turns greenish or yellowish.
Then, after 10 or 14 days, it turns yellowish-brown or light brown.
Finally, after about 2 weeks, your bruise fades away.

Stages of a bruise on the bicep as described by the report

If the bruises were that bad to the point of abuse, they would have been there at the inauguration where she was wearing a sleeveless dress, probably on purpose, to show that there was no bruising whatsoever. After a week it would have been yellow-green. You can't cover something like that up with makeup and be that public and surrounded by that many people up close at the party afterwards. It's impossible.

So, the question is what exactly was the bruise? Was there really a bruise? Maybe the photo/video was doctored? Any teenager can do that now on a smartphone!

Posted by MistOfTheCity on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

How long bruises last. In fact I don't give a shit if Ross bruised anybody at all. Look, if you haven't guessed by now, I just don't think progressives should be in office, and we need to do everything possible to make sure that progressives don't get elected to anything. If hurling mud at Ross and his progressive supporters helps that cause, fine by me.

Posted by H. Monk-Brown Cl on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

What a typically redundant comment, we know you could care less. We all know what your agenda is; the depth of your ignorance; the shallowness of your intellect; your abject appropriation of other's names and frequent postings as 'Guest.
I will, grudgingly, grant that a slime-sucking bottom-feeder, such as yourself, shows at least a basic level of common sense and self protection by hiding in the shadows.
I'm also considering 'posting' under another name, maybe something like:-
HM-BCI/PAULT. Stay tuned.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

Now THIS is vintage Patrick Monk - the mention of "bottom feeder" is a sure sign.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

This is same old tired and vacuous CI/Paul-T/Guest crap, the 'best' they can do. Go back to fantasizing about your 'fluffers'. Sad little wanker, you ain't got the meat to stand the heat.
RIP Arthur, kinda miss a worthy adversary.
HM-BCI/PAULT

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

Friday, January 27 is Solidarity with Ross Mirkarimi Day. Please join the thousands of others and show your support and solidarity for our beleaguered sheriff by wearing a wife beater on this special day.

Posted by Diablo on Jan. 26, 2012 @ 5:23 pm