A Guardian announcement

After 45 years of "printing the news and raising hell" -- and contributing significantly to the cultural and political vibrancy of the Bay Area -- Bay Guardian co-publishers Bruce Brugmann and Jean Dibble are stepping down from day-to-day operations at the paper.

Under their leadership, the paper – which started in 1966 as a 12-page “fortnightly journal of news, analysis and opinion” – has grown to be one of the premier alternative newsweeklies in the nation and an undeniable part of San Francisco.

This transition is connected to ongoing exclusive negotiations with a subsidiary of The SF Newspaper Company LLC to purchase all assets related to the the Guardian publishing operations. SFN also owns and publishes the San Francisco Examiner. Both parties are optimistic that a final contract will be signed shortly, most likely in May.

There are no plans to change the editorial content or positions of the Guardian, which will remain the voice of progressive politics and alternative culture in San Francisco. Executive Editor Tim Redmond will stay on in the expanded role of executive editor and publisher.

Bruce and Jean will remain involved in the paper in a consulting role. The famous “Bruce Blog” will continue uninterrupted.

Todd Vogt, president and publisher of the Examiner, said he was proud to be able to help a community institution continue with its mission. “Bruce and Jean have created a legendary publication, and we are happy to be able to give it a new home and the chance to continue its mission.” He said that the two papers will remain separate and distinct in most ways, although “the potential synergies will be beneficial to readers and advertisers.”

SFN bought the Examiner in December, 2011.

Redmond said: “Todd Vogt is a San Francisco resident who believes in and cares about newspapers, and we’re thrilled to be working with him to preserve and build on the Guardian’s legacy.”

Comments

Seriously? I paid more than that, 8 years ago, for my house in SF.

Hopefully this will bring new resources to the game and allow you to bring back Sarah Phelan - who was a great investigative reporter.

Posted by Troll II on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

Where'd ya get that number, fantasyman?

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

I have had numerous things to take action about in the last yr or maybe two from great picture shoots inside the
direction obese life. I as soon as had work with a day, I could discover their way, I use
to not ever have problems that are until my favorite tummy in order to grow.
I was actually clueless that I was eating a lot more than I
should and also my all-around health was actually deteriorating virtually any kind of
great tempo. I instead was actually having
a great contract of render a mistake, our girl was exiting me next but didn’t get seem advice.
I switched to dr oz on satiereal saffron how does it work Pull.

The msrp was great it taught myself to be shed weight in ways I had will never imagined possible.
Today all of us know many of you decide that most
of this stuff are really just phenomenal things. Women
as well as men sad truth related with the matter is the simple fact
that it most certainly is far separated from a phenomenal it might be stylistic science to team
members! With no stylistic science we wouldn’t
wound up being within the locate to really discover all these things.

I mean imagine exactly how difficult this to make sure you could make a particular effort to shed weight without it.
Technology has already authorized us to obtain things from
landing on mars to forwarding males off in return into the satellite.
It certainly is bizarre considering that him as well as I nevertheless query the actual truly amazing weight-loss
paint brands who possess got come out in the last years. As of yet everyone for you to think it is genuinely completely normal to take the moon.

What in truth had taken enormous amounts of dollars coming
from the state administration on a particular system automobile discontinuing.
It definitely will be one smaller move for machines but little one is ever going to
grasp yet. Sorry for digressing, when I was actually stating returning to science
based and the|with the|effectively as the|site of the|site the|or even the|in addition to the powers of the pills which I personal been taking.
The couple will really do assistance suppress simple hunger discomforts.
I utilize in order to realize ways to really do one simple and easy thing without eating the great information is I get hungry less but
also are becoming to be more proactive simply because I have
which means that much energy I have to do something on it.
It certainly has already changed the life in but is now ready to appreciate the truly
amazing games being might need to has along with wonderful individuals around it.
I appear to be lucky enough satisfy a bunch of extremely interesting
people because I lose the pounds. Irritated when someone had been being changing, just since you start
getting a lot more confidence the rest simply kind of snowballs right into an activity great.
Soon the whole book in general definitely will in the end realize maybe just huge
time spans far separated from better yet weight-loss wonders.
World wide web based business must wait, because time has displayed all us that really found
in the historic past books you are continue to in to the demographic of being the very first
one to do some incredible things let us look at feel that for
as soon as technology established utilizing it ideal and
also you can certainly actually drop additional weight when you
are basically no a lot more than a some lbs overweight with doing nothing.
Yeah they actually have caffeine inside sometimes however who really cares about the
main reason is the best possible thing and ideal. It can be the future .

Posted by www.saffronextracts.us on Aug. 19, 2012 @ 11:14 am

I am very worried that we will loose a progressive voice.

Posted by Guest NIBY on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

We can afford to lose it.

Posted by Troll II on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Of course we will lose it. Examiner was owned by Philip Anschutz up until 6 months ago for christ's sake. This is a right-wing mouthpiece. Have you read any of their OP-Ed pieces?

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 7:15 am

You haven't read the Examiner since the new owners took over. They have gotten rid of all the right wing columns and articles.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

Someone should complain about that.

Posted by Pulitzer on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I was proud to work at the Bay Guardian as my first job after moving to San Francisco in 1997. I wish the staff, Bruce, Jean and Tim the best of luck!

WAZLO

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Who will I turn to to get my fill of build/change absolutely nothing anywhere near anything?

BANANA

Posted by Mirrorman on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Bring back Sarah Phelan, completely.

The Guardian was the only voice to question the sham of the D10 supervisors race.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

The demise under Jones et al is complete. You sold out to a foreign corporation and a real estate speculator who made bank during Dot Bomb 1. Willie Brown is laughing his ass off and the progressive "movement" is dead.

sucks to be you!

Posted by Buh bye on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

The SFBG is also in contract with a real estate investment firm to sell its Potrero Hill headquarters.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

progressive groups and non profits that could use cheaper office space was of course out.

No one knows the value of a dollar like a communist.

Also it seems that selling the business to the employees was a no go for some reason? The finances were that bad?

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

We should all wish them well and thank them for all they've done for the Bay Area and the Alt Weekly industry over the last 45 year.

Congrats, too, to Tim Redmond!

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Totally agree - I wish Bruce and Jean and the BG a great future. I'm glad Tim is the editor and publisher and hope Steven stays on board. SF and the BA in general need a BG that is progressive and vibrant. I thank you all (and former BG writers) and hope there's decades more for the Bay Guardian.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

zoMg, this is just too awesome.

I just... I can't. Too much. Wow. The sale of the building just takes it to a whole new level of hypocritical, sell out, utter shit baggery.

Posted by Longtime Lurker on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

Disclaimer: the following statement However if the shoes fits, feel free to wear it) is not directed towards any one person or persons.

"Progressive politics and alternative culture in San Francisco"?

My ass.

This sale is merely part of a long standing policy of secretly, or rather quietly, selling out at each and every turn for over 20 years.

Like many other so-called "progressive" papers in the bay area, the SFBG has Proven itself time and time again to be little more than a journalistic service whore for anyone with cash.

SFBG has trumpeted feminism on it's cover, while carrying advertising from massage parlous known to be hotbeds of underage sex trafficking, and adult services ads in an industry known to exploit, abuse, and even kidnap and imprison teenagers from around them world.

They have promoted "Indy" music on their opening pages, while carrying heavy advertising from Far-Right wing Clear Channel,and live nation, (Both directly under the leadership of Mitt Romney) as clear channel shuts down all politically meaningful music in California,buys up all venues, and then uses it's fundamentalist think tank connections in the California ABC to go after clubs that are outside the loop.

They have espoused support for the bay area's gay, lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered community, whole carrying heavy advertising by GOLDENVOICE, owned by Philip Anschutz, legendary Christian extremist involved in giving millions to promote prop 8, attack evolution teaching in public schools, and to launch all out attacks against the rights and lifestyles of the GLBT community.

Progressive?
I guess. If you consider having long term financial arrangements with someone you claim to be your idealogical arch enemy, whole you blow them inn the waiting room is "progressive"

But far be it for me to rain on your little back patting party.

Piero Amadeo Infante

Posted by papamalo on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

There is editorial policy and there is advertising policy, most people get that.

Just the same...

The Guardians editorial policy is ridiculous, but it is solidly out of touch liberalism. The claims of fairness while being hilariously biased are also a hoot.

Your concerns about feminism and prostitution and sex work are at best stunted, at worst Dworkinist ravings. It is 2012, women don't need your paternalistic non sense, if you have some proof about under age sex trafficking one hopes that you have reported it to the police.

I also found the Guardians claim to back alternative culture comical, but "indy" bands now travel the major label circuit with the backing of clear channel other such operations. The Guardians agitprop could not be sold to the masses without these shout outs to the Steve Jones burning man "alternative" crowd. The same goes for the rest of your sour grapes.

The Guardian's politics are comical, that they try and get by while not adhering to an even more unhinged reality isn't really a sell out.

You remind me of

"Should a Christian's "soulwinning skills" include karate, and can that "skill" be used "to glorify God"? And what has karate to do with the reality of "God's power" in a teenager's life? Even though it is difficult to see how the so-called "skill" of karate could or would be used by the Holy Spirit to draw the lost to Christ, the overriding question must be: Is there a philosophy antithetical to Christianity that is at the root of karate exhibitions? Since karate has its roots in Zen Buddhism, and since the same Zen techniques are practiced by karate-loving "Christians" today, only dressed-up in Christian terminology, it is obvious that no Christian should have anything to do with it. (See BDM's report on Karate for more details.)"

Posted by Matlock on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

Whoah. you are my personal hero.

For any human to actually put all that together under the influence of what are obviously the most powerful psychedelic drugs available on the black market, is a feat of stunning resolve.

I would also add that your dansrychofaldian air of academic legitimacy, stands in stark contract to the glaring reality that wooohooo!!!! lalalal! boing!

Thank you for the most entertaining post I have read since, EVERGREEN went out of print some years back.
you remind me of:

I will be happily munching my delicious grapes in eager anticipation of our future correspondence!

Excelsior ad infinitum!

Posted by papamalo on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 1:08 am

That the Guardian didn't let you take over, your purity would have saved the day, with your wordpress blog and all.

Posted by Matlock on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 5:58 am

I think your 1950's-flavored, Vatican tribunal style of debate would saved the day, with your doing absolutely nothing and all. Very effective.

"You're not pure!!! to the dungeon with you!!!"

lol. you'll be ok.

Posted by papamalo on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 9:58 am

just like, by 1996, the genera that had co-opted the name "alternative" was mainstream, which by very definition, is the opposite of alternative. "Indy" refers to a genera more than a band without ties to major labels, ie truly independent. I think it is some combination of identity politics and wishful thinking that makes people insist on associating a sound they like with business practices they find ideologically agreeable, especially when the counter examples are surrounding them.

Posted by myklValentine on May. 01, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Good luck to all. Congrats, Tim.

It should be interesting to see if editorial stances soften.

Posted by RamRod on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

In the end, another fucking sell out.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

A sell out to who?

The Bay Guardian is doing what it takes to get by. The owner has told you to suck a dick.

Without "selling out" it would be done no matter the economics.

I would like to see the books as I have in actuality cooked this into employee ownership as a coop.

Outside of that Tim and Steve have whined themselves into self pity.

Posted by Matlock on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

Don't let the door hit ya!

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I hope Bruce uses some of his $1.8 million profit on the sale of his property to pay thesales staff, clerical workers, and other minions a severance package. And, to also pay the full 20% appreciation tax on the profit.

That would be very progressive of you.

Posted by Troll the XIV on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

I say go for an editorial merger of pure muckraking, from the left and the right. Hard-hitting daily crime stories ("Lowlife Cuts Into High Times"), environmental exposes ("SF Approval for Homes on Radioactive Dump Site"), extended riffs on hypocritical SF pols (too many targets to mention), a Top Ten on Why the Middle Class Leaves the City (start with the number of sidewalk fecal clean-ups per year), Who Are the 1% and Why They Love The City, more Man vs. MUNI, "Bikers Gone Wild", Days in the Life for a hooker, a Van Ness median beggar, a developer who makes Farmville games, plus expanded Meet the Bartender, blatant rip-offs of CL ("Rants and Raves!"), and way more Sex Advice. Whatever you do, don't let up on PG&E until we get the public power we already own.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 24, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

"Like"

Posted by RationalGal on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Does the make Bruce one of the 1% ?

Posted by greg on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 6:34 am

You are a bunch of fucking hypocrites. Selling out to the Examiner. Anschult's Examiner... Oh sorry new slightly less right-wing ownership...

After years of reading Tim Redmond's nauseating holier-than-though editorials it is amazing to me that SFBH could sell-out, literally, to the most conservative newspaper in the Bay Area... Sickening actually. Have you guys no shame????

Does this mean fewer editorials about the importance of paying up for government services???

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Selling out Philip Anschutz's newspaper. Lovely. Way to go to SFBG. Why not just sell the company to satan.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 7:19 am

Philip Anschutz sold the SF Examiner. Does anyone know the political POV of the new owners and their background? Is it part of the Conrad Black media empire (Canadian guy who was convicted of something a few years ago - not sure if he ever went to prison but know he had a huge media empilre)?

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Per the usual, living by do-as-I-say, and not by what they think they actually stand for. When I worked there it was miserable and I never regretted my departure. Employees were never treated the way that Bruce and Jean would like you to think.

And that Steven T. Jones is such a monumental douchebag to work around. Hope that the new owners see this and tell him and his plaid pants to take a hike.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 8:30 am

they realise that the new owners have no truck with their quasi-socialist views. They'll either have to tone it down or find another job. And there aren't too many places that will pay a "living wage" to a middle-aged hack just to trot out tired old sixties platitudes.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 9:48 am

BTW, he likes to be called "Sir." LOL! You friggin' hypocrite!

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 10:52 am

your ugly schadenfreude. I guess being generally ill-informed goes hand-in-hand with having a leaky bag for an ego.

Posted by lillipublicans on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 11:54 am

political views of your owner "inform" your ability to report independently.

I give Tim six months.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

don't want you to be happy; its just that I don't want you to be happy from being an ignorant jack-a-mule wallowing in mistaken shadenfreude.

Posted by lillipublicans on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

The Examiner is the worst piece of garbage that shows no passion or "care" about newspapers. And to expect the Guardian to survive under the wing of a company that produces that is like trusting Chester the Child Molester with your 7-year daughter. This is horrible news for progressives in the Bay Area. Sell-out is putting it mildly. Please tell me that Harper's going to take over Fox News in retaliation?

Posted by John Brown on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

The Guardian and The Ex under the same ownership? Who woulda thunk!
Kudos to Bruce and Jean for all the hell raising over the years!
Harold

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

It's the end of an era that probably passed earlier than we realized. New owners means bending to the will of new masters with their own ideas and designs. I can't imagine the new owners won't tinker with any or all of what made the BG a significant press. I just hope it doesn't end in a tear down.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

According to the California Secretary of State, the SF Newspaper Company LLC was formed in 2004. But supposedly they just bought the Examiner last year?
I did some Googling. Looks like the SF Newspaper Company belongs to Clarity Media Group, which is a Philip Anschutz property.
So, there you go. Just like the New Times acquisition messed up the LA Weekly... you can bet on the new owners influencing the editorial line of the Bay Guardian.
But I guess some people need a golden parachute for their golden years.

Posted by Michael N. Escobar on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

You're wrong. Clarity sold it in Nov of last year to Black Press Group (which is probably related to that Conrad Black dude who apparently is a conservative

According to the above DP article from Nov 11, 2011:

*********** start **********

"The media holding company of Philip Anschutz today sold the San Francisco Examiner newspaper to a consortium led by Black Press Group, a Canadian publishing company with more than 170 newspapers in North America.

Founded in 1863, the newspaper was owned by Clarity Media Group, which had bought it seven years ago from the Fang family, who had purchased it from the Hearst Corporation.

"When we purchased the Examiner we wanted to provide readers and advertisers with a credible, second daily newspaper, devoted to local reporting," Clarity CEO Ryan McKibben said in a statement. "Thanks to the excellent staff at the San Francisco Examiner, we achieved that, and much more."

The Examiner became a free daily newspaper in 2003.

Expansions to its newspaper titles in Washington and purchases in Oklahoma made it "clear that owning a single newspaper asset on the West Coast was no longer consistent with our evolving business plan," McKibben said.

Black Press runs a number of daily and community newspapers, among them the Star-Advertiser in Honolulu and The Akron Beacon Journal in Ohio. The company is controlled by David Black and his family.

******* end *****

Here's what it says at Wikipedia under Black Press:

Black Press Group Ltd. is a Canadian privately owned publisher of prominent daily newspapers in Hawaii and Ohio, United States, and numerous weekly newspapers in Alberta and British Columbia, Canada, and the U.S. state of Washington. Black Press is headquarted in Victoria, British Columbia.

It is currently administered and majority owned by David Holmes Black (no relation to Canadian-born media mogul Conrad Black). The company is 20% owned by Torstar, publisher of the Toronto Star and David Black's former employer.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 26, 2012 @ 1:01 am

According to the above DP article from Nov 11, 2011:

*********** start **********

The Examiner became a free daily newspaper in 2003.

******* end *****

Here's what it says at Wikipedia under Black Press:

Posted by Guest on Apr. 26, 2012 @ 1:05 am

The SF Newspaper Company belongs to Clarity Media Group. Clarity Media Group is a Philip Anschutz vehicle. So let's not have any illusions about the nature of the new ownership. Just like the New Times acquisition messed up the L.A. Weekly, you can bet that the new owners will exert their influence to change the Bay Guardian's editorial line.

Posted by Michael N. Escobar on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Never mind about Anschutz. The Bay Guardian lost its way long ago and tried to use a lawsuit to lift it out of the pigshit it found itself in. It is a reprehensible, disingenuous, hypocritical pile of garbage. Look for an endorsement of the Romnoid come October..

Posted by DanC on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

Kneel down, hide under your desk, hug your head and kiss your ass good-bye, Bay Guardian. Phil Anshutz bought the Southern Pacific Railroad in the 1980's and where is it today? Gone, baby, gone. If what I've read above is true, you're done.

Posted by RationalGal on Apr. 25, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

... by which I mean any supporting information for the mention of "Anshutz" in conjuction with San Francisco Examiner and/or Bay Guardian ownership in last couple months. Okay?

Posted by lillipublicans on Apr. 26, 2012 @ 12:29 am