The first results just got posted, and it's a fairly large number of votes. More than 60,000 people voted by mail, and there's enough to draw a few conclusions.
Prop. A, the measure that would have required competitive bidding for the city's garbage contracts, is dead, losing in the early absentees 77-23. No surprise that it's losing; getting 23 percent of the vote with no campaign to speak of up against the full might of Recology's money and political connections is actually pretty impressive.
Prop. B, the Coit Tower measure, is winning, 55-45, which is a good place to be at this stage. I'd say it's time for the Yes on B camp to start celebrating.
The DCCC early returns show a lot of what we expected -- the elected officials and incumbents are doing well. David Chiu is in first, beating Scott Wiener, who is beating John Avalos. For what it's worth.
After that, it's Bevan Dufty, David Campos, former Sup. Leslie Katz and former state Sen. Carole Migden.
Interestingly, Matt Dorsey, an appointed incumbent facing the electorate for the first time, is ahead of Sup Malia Cohen. Rafael Mandleman, Zoe Dunning, Alix Rosenthal, Petra DeJesus, and Justin Morgan finish out the top 14 on the East Side.
Those are the early absentees, and the difference between Morgan and incumbent Gabriel Haaland, now in 18th place, is just 800 votes. So it will change.
Right now, the progressives have 9 of the 14 seats on the East Side, but only 4 of the 10 on the West Side, which won't be enough to elect a progressive chair and ensure good endorsements in the fall. But the margins are so thin and it's so early we can't call it yet.
On the West Side of town, Assessor Phil Ting is comfortably in the lead for the 19th Assembly District, but newcomer Michael Breyer, a conservative Democrat who spent a ton of money, is edging Republican Matthew Del Carlo by two points, setting up the possibility that Ting will have to raise money and face off against Breyer in November.
Most Commented On
- I am the World's Smartest Leader and I am running for Mayor too - March 8, 2014
- Craft empire | SF Bay Guardian - March 8, 2014
- I'm sure the SFBG was just as - March 8, 2014
- So you've never been inspired - March 8, 2014
- I've hired a few dozen people in my time - March 8, 2014
- Yes, the moderate majority are a majority who agree.on - March 8, 2014
- Assuming you get hired to do - March 8, 2014
- They might as well all be the - March 8, 2014
- Eddie, you think everyone posting as "Guest" is the same person? - March 8, 2014
- Only when they pretend they could moderate a meeting. - March 8, 2014