AP is callling the Wisconsin election for Scott Walker, although the results will no doubt tighten up as the night goes on. But this is a wake-up call -- for all of us. It's one of the first clear tests of what happens when you have unlimited corporate money flowing into an election (Walker outspent his opponent about 8-1) and it's a sign of how bad things can get under Citizens United.
It's also going to dampen the enthusiasm of labor activists for the Obama re-election. Already, commenters on DailyKos are calling for progressives not to support the Democratic Party this fall -- and while that's common and people mostly get over it, Obama has to start moving now to shore up labor support. We're all for gay marraige, and that was a strong and much-needed (if also much-delayed) stand, but it's not going to be enough.
There's going to have to be a concerted effort to end the demonization of public-sector workers. This election just shows how it's gotten out of control.
Most Commented On
- And joysticks for all - July 10, 2014
- Industrial hemp legalized in California - July 10, 2014
- Yesterday, today, and Tomorrow - July 10, 2014
- Airbnb makes small admission on tax issue, saying its hosts - July 10, 2014
- Me too. I like that as well. - July 10, 2014
- ABC7's pedestrian safety coverage courts controversy - July 10, 2014
- I was there. I have to say, - July 10, 2014
- Isn't it the nonprofit - July 10, 2014
- From SF Gate: "The sale will - July 10, 2014
- I like how you specifically - July 10, 2014