So SFist likes our cover this week. I haven't heard any complaints yet, but we'll get some. And they'll be utterly predictable: Why are there penises on the front page, right out there (as my mother used to say) in front of God and everyone?
Here's the thing: I've been doing this a long time, and we've put a lot of naked people on the cover (nude beaches, sex issue, random stories about public nakedness) -- and when it's just women, nobody peeps. Full frontal, whatever -- it seems in our society that it's perfectly okay to show the unclothed female body. But not a dick. God, not a dick.
I've often wondered why a movie that shows tits and (female) asses can get away with a PG-13 rating and even full-frontal female, and lots of it, only gets you an R. But a single glimpse of a male organ, even in its unaroused state, automatically turns a movie into NC-17.
What, are penises really that scary? Or are most of the censors guys who have, you know, issues?'
Most Commented On
- Greg, here is a link showing how an in-law can be exempted from - March 7, 2014
- He says that it is because AirBnB is the biggest - March 7, 2014
- Even if you were right about that, marcos, so what? - March 7, 2014
- Greg, that is not the entire story - March 7, 2014
- Given that the corrupt elites - March 7, 2014
- Illegal in-laws have full rent control protection - March 7, 2014
- Anderson is anti-police and anti-business - March 7, 2014
- #SaveLibertyHall - March 7, 2014
- How many times now has Steven refused to answer the simple - March 7, 2014
- Sean, yes, there may be some local tax due as well as - March 7, 2014