Davis snags a trio of top progressive endorsements

Julian Davis outside a recent campaign event at Milk on Haight Street.
Steven T. Jones

District 5 supervisorial candidate Julian Davis is emerging as the progressive standard-bearer in that competitive race after today receiving the endorsements of a trio of top progressive politicians: Sups. John Avalos and David Campos and attorney Matt Gonzalez, the former board president, mayoral candidate, and D5 supervisor.

Gonzalez had endorsed appointed incumbent Sup. Christina Olague – who he appointed to the Planning Commission in 2004 – but he withdrew that endorsement last month after being frustrated by a series of actions in which she sided with Mayor Ed Lee, moderates, and developers over her longtime progressive colleagues and constituents.

Avalos and Gonzalez are endorsing just Davis, at least for now, while Campos added to his early endorsement of Olague by today endorsing Davis and John Rizzo, who had earlier snagged the other prized progressive endorsement by winning the support of Assembly member Tom Ammiano.

Davis, who was already endorsed by former supervisor and local Democratic Party chair Aaron Peskin, said he's thrilled with today's triple endorsement. While some have questioned his anemic fundraising so far, raising less than $10,000 as of June 30, Davis notes that he had been in the race for less than a month before that deadline and that he expects to have more than $150,000 to get his message out.

“What these endorsements signal is a confidence from San Francisco's progressive leaders, not only in the vision of this campaign, but in our capacity to win,” Davis told us.

Avalos said that he has confidence in Davis' values, experience, and his ability to run a strong race that will help to reinvigorate the progressive movement.

“Julian is a solid candidate who has been around for years on a number of progressive causes. Running for mayor, I was impressed with his connection to neighborhood issues ranging from small business development to urban cycling and youth and worker rights. His campaign has a good buzz about it, one that I expect will resonate with District 5 residents,” Avalos told us.

Comments

Was SF in danger of losing its realness until Julian Davis began his campaign? Is he going to mandate San Francisco realness on the Board?

I find this campaign slogan to be very confusing.

Posted by Troll II on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

This guy is 10 years too late, he's out of touch with SF values of today

Also the Peskin endoresment is the kiss of death

Posted by Guest on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Lost the DCCC, lost the mayor's office, lost the Board of Supervisors...

Posted by Troll II on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

Aaron Peskin Chris Daly Progressives Values Happy Meals Mirkarimi Wife Beater Something Something Rim Shot

Posted by Troll III on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

Where you can read views from the opposite of its readership!

Posted by Troll III on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

And as such I'll comment if I want. We don't celebrate an "amen corner" here at the Guardian - we celebrate diversity. ALL diversity - including political and ideological diversity!

Posted by Troll II on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

You guys all make me laugh! (in a good way, at least tonight).
You'll find out what real means soon enough. Just keep listenin'...

Posted by Daniele E. on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

Matt González is still considered a so-called "progressive?" I-don't-think-so. Apparently some people haven't been paying close attention. He may still call himself a "progressive," but that doesn't mean he is a progressive.

Just one example: Matt González endorsed George Gascón for San Francisco District Attorney. Yes, he endorsed Mr Sit-Lie for DA. He endorsed a guy who's in favor of criminalizing homelessness. A true progressive would not have endorsed a Republican to begin with. Gascón was a Republican until he came here and from what I read at the time he only switched to the Democratic label because he thought or was told that he couldn't win the DA office as a Republican in San Francisco. So he just changed his label name and most were fooled by that. Gascón is bad news.

Some "progressive" that Matt González!

Posted by Guest on Aug. 10, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Of course people like only define "progressive" by whom you endorse. It's all about who scratches whose back, not, y'know actual issues. Sounds like a machine to me.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 17, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

A broken machine.

Posted by marcos on Aug. 17, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

Maybe, but I see you don't quibble with the label as applied to "progressives." It's not machine politics y'all hate; it's that your machine isn't the one in charge.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 19, 2012 @ 11:22 am

With Olague now voted off the Progressive Island because she believes in the evil tenant called "compromise", I think the D5 progressives have made the right choice.

Thank you, Sir David, Prince Matt has hereby knighted you into the fold.

Don't ever compromise about anything, and you could become a Prince someday, too.

Posted by Trolll the XIV on Aug. 11, 2012 @ 4:30 am

I think you mean "tenet." Learn English, Troll.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 11, 2012 @ 9:55 am

Thank you Gregorio, of the PartiDA Popular.

I'm a native Spansih speaker. What's your excuse?

Posted by Trolll the XIV on Aug. 12, 2012 @ 9:48 am

to be a native Spanish speaker -- is it not? -- but simply troll-like, the attempt to use words beyond one's ken.

_____________________________________________
lillipublicans©, often impostered, less frequently equaled.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 12, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Ken? Who's about Baribie, too, pendejo?

Posted by Trolll the XIV on Aug. 12, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Heard Julian debate. Good man. Got my vote.

Posted by Obo on Aug. 11, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I am going to vote for him bacause his website confirms that he will work to keep San Francisco "special". And he is going to keep it "Real" as well!!

With campaign slogans like "Keep San Francisco Special and Real" he might be our next Obama!

Talk about San Francisco Values!

Posted by Guest on Aug. 11, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

I'm hoping that this is sarcasm.

Posted by somers on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

I see that Steven Jones is still referring to conservatives on the Board of Supervisors by the misnomer "moderates."

(One wonders if he's doing that so that said supervisors will continue coming to the BG office for endorsement interviews when needed. They are less likely to agree to an interview when the publication does not describe them as they erroneously describe themselves).

Posted by Guest on Aug. 11, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

Why are Avalos and Campos called "progressives"?

At best, they are wishy washy liberals.

This endorsement makes me quite suspicious of Davis because Avalos and Campos have sold out San Franciscans any number of times--whether it be coronating Ed Lee or catering to the wealthy in Golden Gate Park.

Unlike Olague, they voted to name a battleship after Harvey Milk!

How much will Davis sell out?

Posted by Guest on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 8:35 am
Posted by lillipublicans© on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 8:53 am

Milton Marks III did not move to the center when he was elected.

He remained focused on rooting out corruption from the public sector and was more successful at that then the what passes for "left" amongst the poverty social services progressives.

Both left and right are perfectly fine with corruption so long as their constituencies get theirs, corruptly.

This works out fine for the corrupt on the right, because there is real money behind that corruption. But on "the left," that kind of corruption delivers increasingly diminishing returns because the beneficiaries of the graft are a very small, powerless minority.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 10:28 am

"Nobody in San Francisco politics, elected or seeking office, has demonstrated an ability or willingness to confront the corruption that deprives San Franciscans of honest government services in almost every city department. "

Hope Johnson has demonstrated this. See her record on the Sunshine Ordinence Task Force or Fog City Journal.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

posting your run-of-the-mill idiocy while impostering me, I think it kind of funny for you to be issuing lessons in "reality."

Then again, I guess you are some sort of expert in reality; making up your own.

______________________________________________________
lillipublicans©, often impostered, less frequently equaled.

Posted by lillipublicans© on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 10:42 am

The trend happens all the time.

_____________________________________________________

lillipublicans©, often impostered, always out-argued

Posted by lillipublicans© on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 11:00 am

Did I make you change your argument to "politicians always move to the right?" Hmmm.... which way did G.W.Bush move?

Troll, you are a silly fucking fuck.

______________________________________________________
lillipublicans©, often impostered, less frequently equaled.

Posted by lillipublicans© on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Davis is raking in endorsements, Breed is raking in money, Olague is raking in... whatever it is that Rose Pak rakes in for a politican — only candidates I've seen doing the hardcore field work on this campaign are Selby and Rizzo, and they should be respected for doing it.

Posted by somers on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Seems like a lot of progressives are jumping on the flashy Julian Davis bandwagon. Nothing against Julian -he'd probably be one of my top 2 because I pretty much like what he stands for -but can he parachute into the race late and then pull it off on high profile endorsements alone?

Rizzo shouldn't be underestimated. His citywide win for College Board over Johnny Carter was a shocker, but he laid the groundwork for it by working his tail off. And he's a good guy, he's done good work on the college board, so I don't understand why the Guardian has given him such short shrift.

Thea Selby... still have no clue what she stands for even after talking with her extensively at one point. She talks progressive, in sort of a vague David Chiu-ish kind of way (and we all know how that worked out). But most of her endorsements suggest a stealth conserva-dem. I could be wrong, but color me skeptical.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 13, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

itlooks like most of her endorsements were personal favors from friends, back before her politics got settled. it might be the organizations, and maybe some of the remaining supes, that tell the true tale (if they have the balls to dump olague). is avalos planning on giving a third? by process of elim., the money's on selby if he does. she's progressive enough. no davis, yeah,but she's got more money and is playing the mom card far.

Posted by waltin on Aug. 14, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

Fiona Ma, Emily Murase, and Malia Cohen aren't usually the kinds of endorsements you see on progressive resumes.

The mom card? Meh. I don't think it gets you much in D5.

But in all of this, I still don't know where she stands on any issues.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 14, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

Rizzo? He's been on the Community College Board for years and somehow he didn't see City College's problems coming?

Matt "Graffiti is Art" Gonzalez is still looking for the "root causes" of homelessness after Gavin Newsom cleaned his clock on the issue in 2003.

Julian Davis shut up about his criticism of allowing UC to hijack the Extension site on lower Haight Street after Dufty and Ammiano engineered some gay senior housing to give that rip-off a PC veneer.

Posted by Rob Anderson on Aug. 14, 2012 @ 9:38 am

I'm heartened to read the in-depth, on-the-ground commentary that I've come to expect from wary, connected San Franciscans. This is what keeps SF, ahem, real. I consider myself an old hand at this stuff (SF politics) but always learn new stuff here. Kudos.
Why folks post anonymously, I don't entirely get. Right or wrong, you earn your reputation in this town. The Good can do wrong, the Bad can do right. And it ain't about what you post online, it's about being there, in the thick of it, making the political sausage. I'm sad to see so many smart folks hide behind fake names. You can't hide in a march, protest, speech, or sitting in a board or committee meeting. That said, I understand that what you say and do follows you and can hurt you at home and at work but that's why we have a First Amendment. Stand up for yourselves, people. If you deserve to be heard, we deserve to know who you are.

Posted by Bradley Reeves on Aug. 14, 2012 @ 11:10 am

I would love to, but the last time I posted something under my real name, a troll assumed my identity and began putting words in my mouth that I would never dream of saying. So, if you enjoy having your name trashed, by all means, do as you advise others. Sorry but some of us have learned the hard way.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 14, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

but some people with unique names might have reasons to be bit more reticent. Concerns about employment are not so easily discounted, though to be sure I'd much prefer to *not* work for an outfit that didn't like my politics enough to have me if they were aware of how I feel.

In any case, since there is no means to register your identity on this site, I would strongly recommend that you avoid making a nuisance of yourself to the troll by debunking his nonsense. Such a troll will start impostering you; something which might seem traumatic if you haven't guarded your true identity behind an alias which you don't fullly mind being bandied about falsely, since there may be some amusement factor in that which would not be the case if it was your real name being used.

______________________________________________________
lillipublicans©, often impostered, less frequently equaled.

Posted by lillipublicans© on Aug. 14, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

Davis is a great candidate but he's getting beaten badly in fundraising and in other ways because the Guardian and so many progs are dilly dallying with Smirkarimi the Guilty instead of helping people who could actually do something in City Hall.

stop wasting your time on a failed loser like Smirkarimi, and look to the future, or face the consequences.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 18, 2012 @ 6:01 pm