So the city's going to take a look at the neighborhood parking program. Good. Here's my first question: Why do the car owners get away so cheap?
It costs $64 a month to buy a Muni Fast Pass. It costs at least $300 a month to rent a garage. But if you're in the neighborhood parking program, you get essentially a guaranteed parking space on a city street -- public property -- for $104 a YEAR, or about 28 cents a day.
I'm not for eliminating the neighborhood parking stickers; the program keeps out-of-town commuters from driving into SF and using residential areas as free parking lots. But let's make the car owners -- who, by the way, are still reaping the Schwarzenegger VLF windfall -- pay their fair share.
Double the fee and you get another $6.5 million. And the parking permits would still be the bargain of the decade.
And then maybe we can get God out of the parking system.
Most Commented On
- I support your suggestion... - June 20, 2013
- A hollowpoint will definitely - June 20, 2013
- Big Talker: Your impotent - June 20, 2013
- Arrogant prick. - June 20, 2013
- Fuck the yupster invasion. - June 20, 2013
- I'm done with this paper. Tim didn't "resign". - June 20, 2013
- Get fucked. - June 20, 2013
- Was Bruce part of the - June 20, 2013
- H Brown with Chris Daly - June 19, 2013
- Oops! I accidentally - June 19, 2013