KQED's Forum weighed in on Sup. Scott Wiener's anti-nudity law Oct. 18, and I particularly enjoyed the attempts by all to avoid the use of the word "cockring." I taped a show for KPFA's morning mix (to air 7:30 am Oct. 19) and host John Hamilton told me that "cockring" wasn't on the FCC list of unacceptable words and it was ok to use it, but that's KPFA, not KQED. I also laughed at Michael Krasny confessing that he was beeing "lookist" when he said he'd heard that the men at Jane Warner Plaza weren't all that good-looking.
At any rate, here's the real story: A friend's mom was visiting recently from Switzerland, and what did she want to do in San Francisco? She wanted to go to the Castro and see the naked men. Of course.
You see the buses going down Market Street with all the tourists, sticking their cameras out the window to get a shot? It's a tourist attraction.
Remember -- when the sea lions first arrived at Fisherman's Wharf about 20 years ago, and hauled themselves up on the docks, the city tried to get them to leave -- they were loud and stinky and unappealing. But they wouldn't go -- and after a few weeks, the merchants realized how good they were for business.
I asked the Convention and Visitors Bureau, now known as SF Travel, if banning nudity might be bad for the tourist industry -- and the local economy. The folks there haven't gotten back to me. But I don't know; maybe the city economist should study this nudity ban.
Most Commented On
- Norwegians? - May 23, 2013
- Rocky, while there are some who love misery, I fear you will - May 23, 2013
- We can have a debate about whether those who sublet their homes - May 23, 2013
- A stunning majority of those who commit these atrocities - May 23, 2013
- Tech Bubble Crash - May 23, 2013
- It's not your job to define what this city is. - May 23, 2013
- Yep, he knoes he has lost the debate. - May 23, 2013
- I'll take that as your concession that you cannot refute - May 23, 2013
- It's one of those cases where the law has not caught up with the - May 23, 2013
- Intolerance and hate? What am - May 23, 2013