The Gavster, the Lite Guv, our former mayor, has a new book out, and while I eagerly await my review copy of "Citizenville," I got to hear some of its themes on Forum. Here's what the honorable Lieutenant Governor Newsom has to say:
You've got to "lean into it."
Oh, and you need to "get into their heads."
He can talk a lot about the millenial generation and technology, and he made some valid points about how government, particularly voting, is still way too analog (young people vote all day long, with likes on Facebook, and they vote for American Idol contestants, but not for local government offices). And he's still hugely, overly enamoured of the notion that technology (operating through the private sector) can solve all of our problems.
But mostly: Platitudes. Astonishing, amazing gushers of platitudes. It got really hard to listen after a while; it's as if the guy has taken ever bad cliche of the past decade and burned it so deeply into his brain that he doesn't even realize he's spewing them back out.
I hope the book's a little better. Meanwhile, Gav: Get a grip.
Most Commented On
- Well, I quoted what you said. - June 19, 2013
- Guest, Good question - June 19, 2013
- Offhand, I cannot think of a major botanical garden in any of - June 19, 2013
- Uh oh, someone mentioned a fired SFBG writer and their post was - June 19, 2013
- What he did of? - June 19, 2013
- The Gardens are a lot nicer now it isn't packed with people who - June 19, 2013
- Nah, Jody, I was just pointing out that you making a single post - June 19, 2013
- It's expensive to buy and run a newspaper and so the idea that - June 19, 2013
- You caught me - my real name - June 19, 2013
- No, Ann, everyone doesn't know what is trolling. - June 19, 2013