The most bitter Bradley Manning-Pride piece yet

Photo by Rebecca Bowe

Lots of people angry about the Pride Committee's decision to fire Bradley Manning as a grand marshal. But the most savage, all-out assault comes from Steven W. Thrasher, a former Village Voice writer who has nothing good to say at all about Pride or the people who run it -- or for the more mainstream parts of the LGBT movement:

Listen up, fellow homos—you have been bought, paid-for and sold to the highest bidder. The military industrial complex is so far up the ass of the LGBT movement that it can feel what is being digested in its upper intestines. Talking points and "messaging," not discussion and debate, are the preferred methods of "communication" in a movement now run and owned by PR-firm trained Professional Homosexuals. Dissent will not be tolerated, and the assimilation of homosexuals into the rest of the militarized American public is complete.

On Manning and Pride:

A regular homosexual can give Dan Savage handjob after handjob for his anti-bully “It Gets Better” campaign if he wants, and he can even scream from the rafters that Savage should be given the Nobel Peace Prize for saying that something must be done to protect the powerless who are bullied by the powerful. But that same homosexual becomes as beholden to the military-industrial complex as the Professional Homosexual when he fails to call out SF Pride as a bully. The powerful group found perhaps the most marginalized, powerless homosexual in the nation, pulled him into the spotlight for a few hours, took a giant shit on him, roughed him up a little, called him names, and then kicked him back into the gutter.

I had to smile when I came to the end of the post, which notes:

Steven W. Thrasher was named Journalist of the Year 2012 by the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association for his staff writing for the Village Voice and his freelance contributions to the New York Times and Out magazine. Two weeks after receiving this award, he was laid off by the Voice.

Is he being too harsh? Is he channeling his inner Marc Salomon? Or does the guy have a point here?

Comments

I gotta give you that Tim.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on May. 01, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

We should all be pleasant and on our best behavior for a pride parade that commemorates a riot and for Harvey Milk's sake, don't offend anybody!

Posted by marcos on May. 01, 2013 @ 4:51 pm
Posted by lillipublicans on May. 01, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

These advocacy nonprofits are tools for insulating corporate power by deflecting popular politics while metering out change by the dribble and collecting campaign contributions all the while.

Why does everything in this episode involve something going into or being pulled out of lillipublicans' ass?

Posted by marcos on May. 01, 2013 @ 6:09 pm

and I somehow I can't avoid thinking I should synthesize from it that all gay anal sex is rape.

I lived SOMA in the years before the AIDS epidemic really stuck the gay community. It must have been Halloween 1982 or 83 when walking to the liquor store to buy some beer that I saw like a hundred cops at the end of the alley I lived on. CHP cops, city cops, sherrif's deputies... and then I spotted a naked ass sticking out from one of the officer's chaps.

Why do gay men fetishize cops?

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 02, 2013 @ 3:39 pm

Steven W. Thrasher is spot-on. Another writer back in March told the truth about GLBTQs. He wrote that gays and lesbians have been sucked in by the far right and gave credible examples. I agree with that. I've personally noticed how conservative and sanitized many (if not most) GLBTQs have become just so they can be accepted by the mainstream sheeple.

Posted by Guest on May. 01, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

sexual preference have to have certain political leanings?

Equal rights means agreeing with some sort of uni-mind?

Posted by Matlock on May. 01, 2013 @ 8:46 pm

You have no concept of GLBTQ history. The sad truth is that the GLBTQ movement has abandoned its progressive roots. It has become a conservative "movement." That's the point I was making and the same for the writer (in March) I was referring to.

And it's not a "sexual preference." It's a sexual orientation. They are two different things.

Posted by Guest on May. 01, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

When you no longer spend all your time whining and protesting, and instead simply enjoy life, work and family, you have "progressed" to full status, and no longer have need of being a victim.

So, congratulations. Move on.

Posted by Guest on May. 01, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

I suppose the progressives are bitter some that so many of their expected allies move on.

I have to admit that minorities who are anti gay marriage puzzle me, then I remember that Jesus is more important to some people than empathy.

Poor people who fall for right wing republican's just because of abortion are also a mystery to me.

But people are individuals, something that progressives sorta agree with when people follow their set racial and sexual classes.

Posted by Matlock on May. 01, 2013 @ 9:49 pm

Eighty percent of white Republicans voted for Prop 8. Does that puzzle you?

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 01, 2013 @ 10:45 pm

what you're on about.

Make sense.

Posted by Matlock on May. 01, 2013 @ 11:07 pm

An interesting article for your search engine:

Ray Filar: How conservatives hijacked the gay movement
30 April 2012

Posted by Guest on May. 01, 2013 @ 9:33 pm

premise:

marriage is a conservative institution

the process of conservafication:

gays are being co-opted by conservatives by working for gay marriage

the result:

when all these gays get married they will be conservative.

or

some mammals have tails
humans are mammals
humans must have tails

Posted by Matlock on May. 01, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

It's comical that my not assuming people must be doctrinaire one way or another politically for their own good because of their genetic makeup makes me uninformed? That is such a typical elitist position for progressives to hold, if you don't agree with their narrow doctrinaire ideology you are uninformed.

Progressives celebrate diversity up until people are actually diverse.

from "The Radical Right"
edited by Hoffstadter

"If sociologists require a new term for this change (as if there
were not enough jargon already), then at least let it be a brief, un-
ponderous term. I would suggest the word "transtolerance" for
this curious interplay between the new tolerance and the new in-
tolerance. Transtolerance is ready to give all minorities their glorious
democratic freedom provided they accept McCarthyism or some
other mob conformism of Right or Left. I add "or Left" because
liberals sometimes assume conformism is inevitably of the Right*"

Posted by Matlock on May. 01, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

What is really at the bottom of this is the dishonest and undemocratic manner by which Lisa Williams and her Pride board did this reversal--nobody likes a dictator, nobody likes a tiny minority that pretends to speak for the rest of us and then patronizingly informs us of how we should think about someone like Bradley Manning. SF Pride needs to be overhauled, as does any super group that becomes too powerful, too financially well off for its own good--reaching that kind of clout means a loss in accountability to the people who made their success possible. Instead of keeping their critical edge, these organizations that are now welcomed at the table have started to parrot the powers that be. I see some interesting protests happening at the Parade this year--well deserved too.

Posted by Guest on May. 02, 2013 @ 8:26 am