Enough already

Flowers at the site of the attack
Guardian.co.uk

The gruesome and sordid attack in Woolwich, UK has alarmed and horrified that nation and a fair amount of the world. An unprovoked beheading by cleaver of the 25 year old Afghanistan war vet has stunned London and in the wake of the killing, reprisals have been carried out against Muslims in the UK as well. There have been heroes in this story as well, but it is impossible to imagine that anything would balance off this lunatic brutality.

As has become almost rote in the wake of these events, both sides in this battle are already fully engaged. I don't mean the British military and local terrorists. I mean the dildos and dildettes of the Net, who regard every news story no matter what it is as vindication or repudiation of their cause.

When it became clear that the attackers were Muslims, you could almost hear the Pamela Geller's and Steven Emerson's of the world climaxing in sexual ecstasy over the intertubes. Their "opposition", the people that trot out Tim McVeigh as the "white Christian terrorist" by way of "everyone does it" when these attacks occur were silent--they'd lost this one. Better luck next time, I suppose.

Which isn't quite as sickening as the violence itself, but shit: What is wrong with these people? A dad had his head lopped off and for all the expressed sorrow by Islamophobes, they were actually pretty jazzed. Whether they admit it or not, what's one dead dude you never met compared to the thrill of rubbing it in some "dumb lib's" face? You were right and what's better than that? Nothing!

It's just as bad when it's some white supremacist asshole and the "I told you so" palaver comes from the left.

Thing is, the idea that "my team won, yay!" over this story and other negates the painfully obvious. This is a complex issue. It doesn't boil down to "see, I told you the Islamofascists were crazy/No, they aren't". Imperialism, propping up bogus sheikdoms, coups, invasions, nationalism--a melange of those plus the asymetricality of terrorism is complicated. Nobody wants to delve too deeply into the actual cause. They just wanna be the "right person at the water cooler this morning". To which I say enough already. Really.

Comments

They may well be on the right, but I don't hear any progressives supporting Islamic terrorists.

That still doesn't give America the right to go in and overthrow governments, right or left.

In terms of who we should fear... as terrorists, there are plenty of terrorists on all sides. In fact, some of the worst terrorist incidents, other than 9/11, have been perpetrated by non-Muslims -Breivik, Tim McVeigh, that Jewish terrorist who went into a mosque and gunned down 50 people with his uzi, Luis Posada Carriles who this country still shamefully harbors (oh yeah, I'm sure you forgot about him -the guy who bombed a civilian Cuban airliner killing 76 innocent people). Personally, I don't spend too much time living in fear of terrorist acts. As horrible as they are, your chances of being caught up in one are slim. And since by their nature these acts are political, the best way to prevent them in the future is not with added security, but by not messing with other people's lives around the world.

Who I do fear, are political fundamentalist Christians. Not because they're worse than the Muslim mullahs (Give them full power, they'd be about equally bad). But they're *here*, in the country where I live. If I lived in (US ally) Saudi Arabia, I'd have more to fear from the fundamentalist Muslims. But I don't live in Saudi Arabia. I live here. And here, the Muslims pose no threat to me whether they are 1% or 10% or 20% of the population. But the fundamentalist Christians... they are a constant threat, because they control an enormous amount of power in this country.

Posted by Greg on May. 25, 2013 @ 10:10 am
heh

1% 10% 20% heh.

At 20% they will be making common cause with Christian fundies around all sorts of awful shit.

Posted by Matlock on May. 25, 2013 @ 10:38 am

let me add a couple which I feel are glaring omissions:

1) Bill Clinton lobbing a few Tomahawk missiles into war-subdued Baghdad as "retribution" for the imagined targeting of George H. W. Bush in Kuwait; resulting in the death of world acclaimed Iraqi painter Layla Al-Attar and her husband; and the partial blinding their daughter.

http:[notspam]//www[notspam].youtube.com/watch?v=AgF914EHmeg
http:[notspam]//www[notspam].arcadja.com/auctions/en/al_attar_layla/artist/376784/

2) Bill Clinton lobbing Cruise missiles into Sudan to destroy an aspirin and antibiotics factory, resulting in many thousands of deaths and far more widespread suffering.

http:[notspam]//nation.time.com/2013/04/26/u-s-intelligence-on-sarinwith-a-grain-of-salt/?iid=tsmodule

Of course, numerous terrorist crimes of the Bush Crime Family are too probably too obvious to bear mentioning.

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 25, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

This was a horrible act, the man was butchered on the street. Many people on the street saw this act, what a nightmare. It doesn't matter the the 2 persons that carried out this terrible act were black, white or purple. It was terrible way to die, the man served his country, he had a family, he had friends. I feel bad for the 2 person that did this, what have we don't to them that would make them do this act.

Maybe we all need to go back to kindergarten to learn how to share, get along and be kind to one another. I work for a Muslim and with others, nice people. I wouldn't want to, try to or get them to change what is important to them. I am Christian, they are Muslim, at least they have faith.

Posted by Garrett on May. 28, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Why do people like you always casually brush off the "white people do it too" argument as if it isn't relevant. It very much is. The truth is that white people have their own criminal element just like blacks, hispanics, muslims and everyone else. But you only want to own that fact when it comes to organized crime because it looks cool in a movie. Must be nice to sit on your high horse all day with the mass media propping you up. Why hasn't the meth epidemic (whose perpetrators are mostly white) been as intensely covered as the crack epidemic? The power of the media is very strong and we all know who is in control of it. I hate all criminals and I don't care what they look like. If a black drug dealer is shot by a cop in my neighborhood, good riddance. And if a crooked cop is shot, good riddance to him too. Wearing a badge does not absolve you from wrong doing. But I refuse to sit silently while people like you pretend that all the criminal activity in the world can only be laid at the feet of people of color. Don't bother with your clever comebacks about statistics that ignore the facts that whites who come from poor economic and educational backgrounds have a proclivity for criminal activity as well because I won't be reading any replies. I already know what they will be. Try taking your anger and actually confronting a person in real life instead of anonymously running your mouth from the safety of your mom's basement in a consequence free environment.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 02, 2013 @ 11:10 am

It's not relevant because your racist ass wants it to be.

How many white Christians have bombed abortion clinics? Like 1 in the past 30 fucking years? How many extremist Muslims have committed terrorist attacks in the past 30 years? GET REAL.

Tim McVeigh's bombing was in retaliation for an attack on a religious cult that was of JUDAISM, not Christianity. This is such a common misconception it sickens me. YOU ARE STUPID.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 12, 2013 @ 4:10 pm

Sigh. The one problem I have with this story is that the author apparently thinks it's legitimate to suspect white Christian terrorists as much as Muslims. First of all, Tim McVeigh's bombing was in retaliation for an attack on a religious cult that was of JUDAISM, not Christianity. This is such a common misconception it sickens me.

Second of all, how many white Christians have bombed abortion clinics? Like 1 in the past 30 fucking years? How many extremist Muslims have committed terrorist attacks in the past 30 years? GET REAL.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 12, 2013 @ 4:08 pm