Jean Stapleton, RIP

Jean Stapleton, aka Edith "The Dingbat" Bunker
tvtrivia.com

Jean Stapleton, best known as "Edith Bunker" on TV's "All In The Family", passed away in New York. She was 90.

Not only was she an actress of amazing skill and poise, but consider the obvious: There would never be an "All In The Family" today (discounting cartoons like "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy").

Every lefty PC pressure group would be screaming bloody murder about Archie's "hate speech" and every RW blabbermouth would be spittle-flecking mics everywhere about how "this show makes real Americans look stupid". (With subtle and probably not so subtle references to the show's "Hollywood elite producers", ie, Jews).

In reality, Archie was a lovable character, as was Edith. His daughter's husband, the leftist meathead, no. Edith balanced off her husband's reactionary nitwittery with common sense, as opposed to the dopey rhetoric spouted by the collegiate know it all. Which is how life is supposed to work and why it was the greatest TV show of all time.

Comments

It didn't age well.

Edith is probably the only tolerable one of the four main stars.

Posted by matlock on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

I still watch it, I think it holds up.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 02, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

are too cliche.

Gloria just says "oh daddy" all the time when he says something moronic.

Here's an episode.

Archie has a run in with some minority in some way

he says something dumb

Meathead lectures him in some dumb way

Archie tells him to shut up

Gloria says "Oh daddie'

Edith says something observant

the minority comes over and Archie likes him

the end, until next week.

Now do that 18 times out of 22 for years.

All those Norman Lear shows were like that.

Posted by matlock on Jun. 02, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

neo-conventional wisdom; perfectly representative of a callow generation who had been given a bunch of the right answers but had no life experience with which to contextualize them.

His young and sexy wife Sally Stuthers was at one and the same time a liberated woman who also was unable to see her man's flaws... and if a real couple they would probably have divorced before 1980 kids or no kids.

Archie was full of himself and chock a block with thoughtlessly racist memes, but absolutely had a good heart which was less evident then than it is now... for some reason.

Jean Stapleton... I had no awareness of this until I saw the show recently... how to say it? I guess being older now myself is part of it... but now I see that she was kind of hot too.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

He was a blustering, have to have the last word type, but I recall the episode where he and Mike were trapped in the basement and he recalled his childhood in the Depression--for people like that, anything that might lead back to that kind of deprivation was terrifying, so when anyone told them they might lose everything (to Commies or minorities), they were easy pickings.

Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 2:10 pm
Posted by matlock on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

I loved All in the Family -it was my favorite show even though it was in reruns, but I didn't find Archie loveable at all. Archie was an ignorant buffoon at best. At best, because he was shown to be not as vile as real-life people I know who hold the same beliefs. Archie had a human side, which I didn't find too believable, because real-life people I know in my own life, who hold the exact same views, aren't as soft-hearted when push comes to shove. But I guess they had to make him a bit soft-hearted in order to preserve his humanity. Had they made him more realistic, he'd be more Michael Savage than Archie bunker, and then it wouldn't be a comedy.

Reiner's character played the straight guy to Archie's buffoonery -I thought he was the most likeable, though the least funny. You always need a straight guy to bounce the jokes off of. Edith was a not-very-bright doormat, but indeed a loveable one.

Posted by Greg on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

the show... but when I rewatched it, "Meathead" came off as a preachy ass who didn't really have it all together.

Don't say "huh?" until you rewatch. It's on Hulu or Crackle. I'll grant you might have somewhat of a point with regard to Archie and that archetype. It is TV after all... which is something that should be killed as a general principle... so on the other hand... well I just tuned in to see Sally Struthers in hot pants...

Posted by lillipublicans on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

I haven't watched TV in years. Either way, I think we can agree they don't make shows like that anymore.

Posted by Greg on Jun. 02, 2013 @ 8:10 am

Greg is very young so does not understand the Bunker zeitgeist.

On the other hand, Johnny Angel is spot on, as usual.

Posted by Peter on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

≎ Gosh, peecee lefties and rightwing would team up against this show now? Hogwash. (And I say that as a militant vegetarian opposed to washing hogs, unless it's for something nice.)

Posted by Jym on Jun. 02, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

Jym, you know what exists now that didn't in the 70's?

The "professionally aggrieved" class.

Being offended (or claiming to be) is lucrative.

S+P at no major network now would let this show pass.

Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 02, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

Thanks Johnny Angel. Good re-butt.

Posted by Sammy on Jun. 02, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.