Double standard and then some

Who indeed?
knowyourmeme

"Let's see. I was a reporter for the AP in Washington. I'm a Verizon customer in America. Way to go, govt. You have my phone records covered."

Ben Feller, writer, today.

"For an unpopular guy on his way out of his office, President Bush still has some juice.

When Bush signed a law Thursday to broaden the government's eavesdropping power, he served notice of how much sway he still holds on matters of national security.

Why the difference on security?

Because protecting the country is, in fact, a different matter. The president commands the military in a time of war. He leads a nation that was infamously attacked -- and no one has forgotten 9/11.

So going against him can mean being labeled as soft on terrorism or unsupportive of the troops. In an election year, try going to the voters with that around your neck".

Ben Feller, same person, same subject, 2008.

Let me see if I fully get it: When it is we the peon public being eavesdropped upon, it is to "protect the country". When it's the press, it's an outrage.

Right.

>>Read SFBG writer Rebecca Bowe's coverage of the NSA scandal here and here.

Comments

JAW is prescient here, as usual.

Posted by Arnold on Jun. 06, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

As a law-abiding citizen, I'm comfortable with the government listening in on all my private conversations no matter what my occupation. I know I'm not a threat to anybody in power, so I have nothing to hide.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 06, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

"... forget the First Amendment. Getting paid to infiltrate vegan potlucks? That sounds like the best job ever!"

FBI Looking for Informants to Infiltrate Vegan Potlucks

Posted by Guest on Jun. 06, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

We need a republican president!

Posted by Guest on Jun. 06, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

This government is out of control. The surveillance state is here.

Posted by Greg on Jun. 06, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

Republicans are more into personal liberties.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

when in doubt, bureaucrats should always be constrained.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 2:09 pm
NSA

I wonder if this is really news in a way, I remember reading several decades ago that the NSA eavesdrops on virtually every phone call made in the USA, this was a little buried item in the newspaper that excited no comment at the time.New technologies have come along since then of course for them to infiltrate but the point is,this may not be as new as people believe, I suppose back then it was the Cold War paranoia that was the impetus.You got something shady going on with other people?Talk in code on the phone,then!

Posted by Jane on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 3:34 am

Unless you're up to no good, of course, when it is really bad news. Ask me if I care.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 5:12 am

Jason Grant Garza here ... yes, I know about the HYPOCRISY and DOUBLE STANDARDS, EXPECTATION verses RESULTS, and naturally the RULE of LAW.

With me DPH, SFPD, MOD, OCC, HRC, City Attorney and the Sheriff Office all believe that they are carrying out the LAW as they INTERPRET it. They are INCORRECT when it comes to health care, medical rights, law enforcement, civil rights, human right, etc.

Go and see where the LAWS are broken ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cP3jCmJFRo then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFd-KtS8Zss (then told no ctrime by SFPD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHuQi_I8e4E ) and then a repeat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa7kfWNt4aQ and for the final "DAGGER" and HARM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCuMwXVxADk

Now watch the videos to see what I got from the Sheriff, SFPD, OCC, HRC and MOD.

Now go to http://www.sfbg.com/2007/06/27/crazy to see an article written by the SF Bay Guardian staff in regards to receiving care where the byline is " This is nuts: A bizarre tale of the insanity that is SF's mental health system." INTERESTINGLY enough when I went to the current SFBG staff to do another article with my videos, paperwork, etc ... I STILL STAND HERE AWAITING ... why?

And don't believe for a minute that the city cares about doing RIGHT ... go to http://www.myownprivateguantanamo.com to see where the SCREWED, SHAFTED, FURTHER HARMED me. There you will see where I took the city to FEDERAL COURT (C02-3485PJH) and they had my case dismissed with TESTILYING and FRAUD only to sign a CONFESSION http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html years later ADMITTING fault and guilt ... YET leaving their INNOCENT VINDICATED VICTIM for DEAD. NO ONE from the city attorney's office, the RIGGED court system nor DPH has been able to explain. Now, I have an arrest record ... never having been arrested before ... for a CRIME they COMMITTED.

And as you can tell it has just continued ...

HYPOCRISY, DOUBLE STANDARDS, FALSE WORDS, and FALSE HOPE .. what else is THERE?

So do you believe I'll get a call from the SF Bay Guardian? Shall we see ... keep looking at the videos to see HOW the GAME is PLAYED ...

or maybe the SHERIFF after drinking his "cup of poison" or the Chief of Police, or Police Commission ...

Shall we see what I get from DPH, OCC, HRC and MOD ... I will continue to videotape.

Double standard ... OH, we are here to HELP ... oh, it is YOU (there is NOTHING more we can do for you and if you DO NOT go away you are harrassing (false representation) and I am calling SECURITY.)

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 8:06 am

Thanks for juxtaposing those two Ben Feller quotes, Johnny. I've got to love it when somebody in a bubble of privilege finds it's been explosively popped.

Posted by Peter on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 8:27 am

Wholesale Galaxy Leggings,Cheap Galaxy Printed Leggings,Fast Shipping Worldwide.You Can Buy Various High Quality Wholesale Galaxy Leggings Products from China.
galaxy leggings
galaxy leggings china
galaxy leggings sale

Posted by galaxy leggings china on Dec. 17, 2013 @ 12:36 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.