The Mission 'douchebags'

Okay, you have to read this. When a 1990s tech-startup guy who admits he was part of the last generation of gentrification is now so fed up with the new arrival of high-paid techies that he's ready to leave, it's pretty serious.

Chris Tacy makes an excellent point: When you move into the Mission, you need to understand that there are already other people living there, some of whom have been there a long time, and that it isn't just you're rich-kids playground:

Be considerate. That little old hispanic lady at the bus stop? Help her onto the bus instead of loudly bitching about how she’s going to make you late to your meeting at The Creamery. Be respectful. This neighborhood was here before you and will be here after you leave. It’s not your trashcan, your toilet or your playground. Understand the history and the culture and the people and act in a manner that isn’t stupidly offensive. Be sensitive. The traditional residents of this neighborhood are not rich and never will be. Flaunting your wealth and your opportunities is a douche move.

A guy I knew in college came from a very wealthy family, and his parents set up a trust fund for him. But he wasn't going to get a penny until he was 30, and most of it would come to him later in life. His dad's rationale: People who have a lot of money in theirs 20s become assholes. They don't have enough life experience to handle the sudden riches. Get a job, live like a normal person, find out what life is like.

That's how riches used to happen -- the great industrial fortunes of the previous American generations tended to come to people who had worked for a while first; there weren't a lot of 20-something millionaires. I think that's a big change in the current economy. Some people are just too young to be rich.

I know, I'm an old fart who is not rich and never will be. Sometimes I feel like a curmudgeon. But if you're lucky enough to be rich in your 20s, show some respect.

Comments

Exactly! When you start your rant with a disclaimer that you used to do the same crap you're complaining about, you've already lost any sympathy you're going to get from me.

"I already got mine by shitting on the guy who came before me, but that's ok because now I realize the error of my ways. But stop shitting on me because it's wrong and I don't like it"

Grow up and do something the state of the world about it instead of whining about it on your blog!!

Posted by JustJimi on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

In all likelihood Tim is too busy answering his return calls to give a flying f*ck about what you think. Face it, you're just a troll, nothing more. Someone who has nothing better to do with his time than launch a flame war (if you can get away with it). Pity, but Tim knows better than to take the bait.

Posted by guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 2:09 pm
Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

you're joking about the returning his calls thing right? I mean who calls him?
Sue Hestor? Ross Mirkarimi?

Posted by NOT_Eric_Brooks on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

Why would anyone care what is written here?

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

"And most of those 50 come here, like me, just for mild amusement and the ability to easily win debates."

wow. what a sad, sad pathetic life you lead. you realize this, yes? i pity your unloved, pathetic existence. you give nothing of worth to this world.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

This shows how much this website has declined.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

Re: "Help her onto the bus instead of loudly bitching about how she’s going to make you late to your meeting at The Creamery. "

This incident, to anyone except Tim Redmond, sounds like something that someone made up.

And it makes you wonder how the young person was "flaunting" their wealth while waiting for a Muni bus.

Re: "This neighborhood was here before you and will be here after you leave. It’s not your trashcan, your toilet or your playground."

Yes...in Tim's world it is the Google employees who are urinating and defecating in the street. The rest of us falsely blame the homeless I guess.

Ah...reality. What a concept! Thanks for sharing your version, Tim!

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

serious anger problem.

If he cannot walk a few blocks without getting mad at his neighbors just because of what they are saying, then he is demonstrating exactly the kind of intolerance that I thought San Franciscans were proud of.

And why does Tim seize on this? Not because it is a shining example of the city's tolerance and diversity since clearly the author can't tolerate the diversity of having some successful people in his neighborhood.

In fact it shows exactly what is wrong with SF in another and more important way, i.e. people coming here from somewhere else and demanding that SF fit exactly with their adolescent vision of what they feel the need for SF to be so that they can reassure themselves that they are important. It's tribalism and it's ugly.

I'm fine with hispanic old ladies and fine with successful techies. I'm not OK with angry intolerant people like the author here.

Posted by anon on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Yes, the angry, intolerant person with a lot of pent-up, resentful emotions whose sole accomplishment amounts to little more than troll droppings on a progressive site. That would be you, anon.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

projecting much, anon?

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

At least change the handle. C'mon, that's trolling 101.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

in a hall of mirrors. who can tell who is who? not even the NSA

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

is that better?

Posted by handle on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 2:02 pm
Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

he is here.

So one troll trolls another troll? Real constructive.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

so who's to say if you're not just one person playing devil's advocate with him or herself?

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Seems that you are suffering from the same syndrome.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

It's worked so well in controlling the real estate market in San Francisco over the past 30-40 years, hasn't it?

Does anyone have any REAL solutions for this "problem" or is using pejoratives and dreaming of secession the only options our progressive class can come up with? What, within our current framework of local, state and federal laws - can anyone do to address this issue?

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

And yes, money plus youth is the perfect recipe for assholism.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

people who are also strongly progressive as well as supporters of the local food and music scene in San Francisco. They all take shuttles to work - not a single one I know drives anywhere other than outside the city on the weekends.

These are residents any city would LOVE to have. Instead many in San Francisco spend a lot of time running them down. It's really shameful.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 4:20 pm
Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

Because I believe, deep down, that's exactly what it's all about.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

little more than the formal codification of envy.

If a person hasn't bothered to get an education, and/or doesn't want to work hard or take risks, then it is easier to become an activist and try and push policies that will confiscate the wealth of the successful, than it is to succeed on merit.

If you lack the will or smarts to gain wealth and power, then you make a career out of trying to punish those who have it.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 6:16 am

Yeah, that's it. Everybody wants to be you, that's why you're hated. Fuckouttahere.

Posted by Long time Mission resident on Jun. 20, 2013 @ 2:17 am

I feel no anger at my neighbors in the way that you clearly do.

Practice tolerance, my friend.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 20, 2013 @ 6:17 am

Before the carpet baggers like, Campos, Avalos, Mirkarimi, Daly, Redmons, etc... got here there were already people here.

Clueless to the bitter end.

Posted by matlock on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

Burn the hipsters.

Posted by Travolta on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 9:39 am
Posted by Guest on Jun. 13, 2013 @ 10:16 am

i'm in the mission everyday. I haven't seen any douchebags. This is just propaganda.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 15, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

I lived in the mission for years now and can attest to the reality of this article. Well there has always been white hipsters gentrifying area, have noticed the influx of new, disrespectful, young, rich techies jammin up the vibes of this neighborhood. Just today I was at Philz coffee and saw a young techie with an apple-stickered moleskine and pre-ripped jeans who barely got out of the way for a Latin lady's food cart as she struggled to move past him. He looked at her in a way only a real rich douche bag can. Take home lesson: if you're gentrifying, AT LEAST HAVE A LITTLE RESPECT

Posted by Guest (not the pompous one) on Jun. 16, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

The hispanic woman was rude and pushy, while the white techie male was polite and deferntial.

Aren't stereotypes fun?

Posted by Guest on Jun. 20, 2013 @ 6:16 am

About time somebody admitted as much. I'm sick of these assholes invading my neighborhood and disrespecting us. Gentrifying motherfuckers. This was my hood long before you arrogant bastards came in and turned it into yuppie kingdom. Word up, I see any of you yupster Banana Republic sweater vest-rockin cornballs on the street I'ma duff you off principle.

Posted by Long time Mission resident on Jun. 20, 2013 @ 2:14 am

Just because you say so?

Those who cannot adapt, are doomed to extinction.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 20, 2013 @ 6:15 am

Really?
Because statistics show they have donated more money? That's pretty ridiculous... Of course they have, because they have disposable money to donate. What about the working class people that donate their time, working on projects to benefit the community; volunteering, or specifically choosing to work in fields that don't earn as much but directly help the people in their city? What about teachers? Would you say they are less empathetic than a kid that works at a star-up?
There are many many people that live their lives supporting the communities they reside in, as opposed to donating some money to displace their consumerist gourmet lifestyles and get a tax break.
Sure, there are plenty of people with money that are philanthropic, and help to create a situation that can benefit everyone, but to say that the wealthy are more righteous is just dillusional.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 28, 2013 @ 10:44 pm

put in time and effort as well. To pretend otherwise is to engage in class warfare for no reason other than envy of the successful.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 29, 2013 @ 5:46 am

Some of them are not only being disrespectful toward others, but also affecting the economy of San Francisco.

There is a microeconomic phenomenon occurring in SF, some people call it "The Techie Invisor".

I found a very informative post about this topic: http://blog.sprinklebit.com/left-my-wallet-in-san-francisco/

Posted by Jose on Aug. 23, 2013 @ 11:18 am

20 years is not enough to handle a large fortune age, I think you have to be more experienced in life, but of course, I have no great fortune for being able to experience for myself.

Posted by Paula G. on Mar. 07, 2014 @ 11:07 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.