"Suspicious package" found at Union Square did not contain a bomb

GUARDIAN PHOTO BY REBECCA BOWE

Police closed off Union Square this afternoon, Thu/17, while the San Francisco Police Department’s bomb squad investigated the contents of a “suspicious package” located there just before noon.

At 1:49 pm, police sent an update, saying: “The suspicious package at Union Square has been secured. There was no merit to a hazardous device. Streets are being reopened.”

The package was discovered on the Stockton Street side of Union Square, police spokesperson Albie Esparza said as he stood behind a police line. The officer found it independently rather than in response to a tip, Esparza said, and made the decision to notify the bomb squad.

Esparza declined to offer more details about the package, but explained, “The bomb squad has special devices that can examine packages to see the contents.”

Police tape had been strung across all surrounding streets, Muni buses were being re-routed, and a shelter-in-place was put into effect for people inside surrounding buildings.

All around the area, pedestrians walked up to the police line to ask what was going on, and many expressed disappointment that they would be unable to get to their hair appointments or go shopping at Nieman Marcus. They texted loved ones to say there was a bomb threat. Even Frank Chu was on the scene, holding his signature sign. Helicopters circled overhead and fire trucks were parked inside the closed-off area.

“It’s better to be safe than sorry,” Esparza said, noting that bomb threats happen from time to time. “We don’t want to have a tragedy just because of complacency.”

Comments

I can understand the panic.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 17, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

It was later discovered that the package was Racer X's lunch (half an egg-salad sandwich and a thermos of tomato soup), packed with love and care by his mom.

Posted by Chromefields on Oct. 18, 2013 @ 9:28 am

he thinks that her carefully packed lunch blows chunks.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 18, 2013 @ 9:40 am

He had to ditch it, because his skater pals were rolling up, and they were in a mood to smoke cigs and do crimes.

Posted by Chromefields on Oct. 18, 2013 @ 11:56 am

take your propaganda and shove it up your ass you worthless fucks!

Posted by Guest on Oct. 20, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

This is a troll Maginot Line.

it is a signpost to indicate to the reader that I have nothing better to do with my life.

I'm doing this in support of the SFBG mods, even though they keep deleting my "troll barrier" posts for some reason. They just don't understand what a valuable service I am providing.

Besides, I'm WINNING - by making the SFBG web page unreadable, I'm striking a blow from progressivism, or something. This is civil disobedience, like the March On Selma.

I'm WINNING. Truly.

Besides, they kicked me off of sfgate. What else I am supposed to do with my time?

Posted by Troll Maginot Line! on Oct. 20, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

you would not have posted the reply in the first place, because it simply makes the problem you claim to be complaining about even worse by adding yet another off topic post to the blog

so there must be another motive for your whinging

the only one that makes sense is that you simply seek to perpetuate irritating trolling on this site

Posted by rkdf on Oct. 20, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.