Real tech worker says SF homeless "grotesque," "degenerates," "trash"

Photo by freelancer Aurelien Foucault

Just a day after a fake tech worker blew up the Internet with class hatred, an actual tech worker spewed hatred for real -- and it’s worse than anything that our political thespian had to say.

As first reported by tech blog Valleywag, AngelHack founder and CEO Greg Gopman posted this gem on his Facebook yesterday:

Just got back to SF. I've traveled around the world and I gotta say there is nothing more grotesque than walking down market st in San Francisco. Why the heart of our city has to be overrun by crazy, homeless, drug dealers, dropouts, and trash I have no clue. Each time I pass it my love affair with SF dies a little.

He has since deleted the post and apologized, but it’s hard to come back from the rest of what he wrote:

The difference is in other cosmopolitan cities, the lower part of society keep to themselves. They sell small trinkets, beg coyly, stay quiet, and generally stay out of your way. They realize it's a privilege to be in the civilized part of town and view themselves as guests. And that's okay.

In downtown SF the degenerates gather like hyenas, spit, urinate, taunt you, sell drugs, get rowdy, they act like they own the center of the city. Like it's their place of leisure... In actuality it's the business district for one of the wealthiest cities in the USA. It a disgrace. I don't even feel safe walking down the sidewalk without planning out my walking path.

You can preach compassion, equality, and be the biggest lover in the world, but there is an area of town for degenerates and an area of town for the working class. There is nothing positive gained from having them so close to us. It's a burden and a liability having them so close to us. Believe me, if they added the smallest iota of value I'd consider thinking different, but the crazy toothless lady who kicks everyone that gets too close to her cardboard box hasn't made anyone's life better in a while.

Emphasis added by Valleywag. The Internet machine didn’t take long in shaming him. Cue social media shaming in  3, 2, 1….

The plot thickens, though, as it appears AngelHack has a Twitter bot that scours the Internet for anyone writing about the company, and instantly retweets them.

It’s already retweeted many of the hate tweets towards Gopman. His own company is throwing fuel in the flames of his Internet hate.

This is his apology, written just this morning:

Last night, I made inappropriate comments about San Francisco and its less fortunate citizens on Market st. I'm really sorry for my comments. I trivialized the plight of those struggling to get by and I shouldn't have. I hope this thread can help start an open discussion on what changes we can make to fix these serious problems. Again, I am deeply sorry.

It’s this kind of class hatred from tech workers that made performances like that of union organizer Max Bell Alper yesterday totally believable, leading to one important question: Can you hack empathy?

Comments

And you know it. Charity is great but never will be a solution. Imagine if we relied on charity to cure cancer or get us on the moon. That is librate rain gibberish non sense

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

That's why they want socialism for everything they like (public money to throw at corporations, oil pipelines, spying, and various armed government agencies; while they want to leave everything they don't like to charities (education, help for the poor and the sick and the old, etc.).

Posted by Greg on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

When you do charity (and I do locally), you take of the hand of the community and it's representatives the choices they should make: you are privatizing support for the poor and sick. Your choice, not the community one, not the democratic choice of the community, whether it's local, state or federal.

Many organizations lives from the 30%+ they took from your privatized charity. This is another way to privatize the charity, even if there's no stak holders, there is big money and even investments. Maybe you should look at the annual results of major charity organization, looking at them as companies. Works pretty well!

At the same time companies and wealthy people are trying to evade the tax, with great success on the SF area, refusing to give money for the city, state and federals, that impair them to give more support for the poor and the weak.

This is neo-liberalism as it's extrem

Posted by Guest on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 4:36 pm

If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Posted by Marvin Pontiac on Dec. 15, 2013 @ 7:42 am

But we don't just give up and stop feeding. People

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

You are just making "facts" up at this point.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 2:41 pm
Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

But we cannot afford decent mental health services?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

spend far more money than we receive in taxes.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 4:14 pm

The military and corporate tax breaks. Let's get real and not just quote the TEA party . . .

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

We need to raise taxes and put in a real safety net, like the Scandinavian countries have. We will get there eventually.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

"tax, borrow and spend" socialism for the last 30 years.

There is no sign we are becoming like Scandinavia, and in fact even Scandinavia is not less like Scandinavia as they have been rolling back their own welfare provision.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

That would help solve the problem rather than just moving it from city to city

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

first place, and even with the cuts, the Federal government is still spending 40% more than it takes in taxes.

The cuts have only just started.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

Are what go us into this mess along with the Great Recession caused by lake of regulation. Get the facts straight.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

economy and the markets. The only problem with them was that we did not cut spending to match them.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

If I recall correctly Bush's term as president ended with the worse recession in 80 years. Your TEA party trickle down Logic has been proven to be false. You need to read up on some new economic models that work

Posted by Guest on Dec. 15, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Google government spending as a percentage of GDP and get back to me on that.

We just passed Obamacare, what is that going to do to government spending? As the Boomers retire, we will be spending more and more on Medicare and Social Security. You won't get your Libertarian Utopia here, try someplace else.

I recommend Aspen.

Posted by GlenParkDaddy on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

It's the entitlement programs that have cost. They don;t count as welfare but they will need to be cut. We will never go back to "tax, borrow and spend" socialism.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

You are in the wrong place if you think we buy that nonsense.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

We have been cutting spending at all levels of government. We just haven't done it enough to fix the deficit yet.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 14, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

You can completely eliminate welfare for the homeless and it wouldn't even make a dent in the national deficit. Your reality is pretty shaky when you look at the facts.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 15, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

For the price of the latest aircraft carrier we could have hi speed rail from SF to San Diego, with $ left over for state parks.

Posted by Queequeg on Dec. 16, 2013 @ 7:07 am

The rent control addicts hate technology professionals with all the zeal of the KKK... SAN FRANCISCO IS A VERY HATEFUL PLACE

Posted by Guest on Dec. 17, 2013 @ 8:13 am

I think the real problem is that most of the rent control addicts spend the cash they save on subsidized rents on METH and therefore are psychotic ! How else can you explain the fact that bums who poop on the sidewalk are seen as saints and productive people who pay taxes are seen as devils ? IT"S PURE MADNESS....

Posted by Guest on Dec. 17, 2013 @ 8:06 am

This is so true. I've not only seen firsthand how dirty they are, but how perverted they are as well. I had the misfortune of living in the bay area during my teen years, and whenever myself and my female friends took day trips to SF we would constantly be harassed with the most lewd comments - we were all between the ages of 14 and 16. This would happen even with our parents around. The worst was when we saw a guy fondling himself and blowing kisses at us. Ugh.

I'm back on the east coast now and am shocked by how much cleaner cities like NYC, Philly and Boston are compared to SF. I would never ever live there. With that said, I hope measures are being taken to help the mental issues of the homeless to get them off the street.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 23, 2013 @ 6:39 am

If the City could come up with idea how to make majority of homeless to work,that would swipe them from the streets and will benefit all. They will keep peeing on the streets and our shoes until WE let them doing it by our non-constructive liberal preaches .

Posted by Guest on Feb. 02, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

So there's things to fix. And in the way to fix behavioral problems, and "disgusting" people that couldn't buy $3000 suits or even get a shower each and every day, not talking about a loft, your 80" TV, etc.

I am from Canada, I walked down the streets on SF, I like SF. There's an incredible contrast between some parts of the city and poverty is really terrible compared to the wealthiness that's visible in other places.

They suffer. They are like the third world in front of our eyes. They have no job, no money, and they try to keep a littl dignity, if possible. And things seems to get worse each and every year.

Maybe it's time to act for them, make their life better, while keeping a mix of different social classes throughout the SF Area. My own life gets better when I give money, or MacDo card to a homeless, each and every time. They do something for me, they add value to my own life.

Maybe it's because I care?

Posted by Guest on Feb. 20, 2014 @ 4:21 pm

one of the regular "contributors" to the comments here.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

What a horrible, hateful human being. No ex post facto apology will erase the evidence of the utter black hole of human empathy that sits where his heart should be. Is this what it means to be a techie? To be so absorbed in machines that you have no ability to recognize your neighbor as human?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 12:21 pm

heard many, many people say the exact same thing about the homeless, who can be extremely hostile, aggravation, filthy and offensive.

I'm not saying they don't deserve help or compassion. Only that I understand why people are routinely grossed out by them, and sometimes feel threatened by them.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

never once felt threatened by a homeless person.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

I regularly hear people complaining about the hordes of homeless people in some parts of the city. And as a result we have passed laws like sit-Lie, Care-not-Cash and the recent law forbidding sleeping in GG Park.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

in money than machines or people. Can he imagine what poor and disabled people think about seeing young, rich or wannabe rich people prancing around town in limosines, talking loudly about all the money they make or spend?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

No, this is what it means to be a jerk. But, why are we even paying attention to what one person says? He is a non-entity and wasting time on his remarks is not useful.

Rather than everyone piling on about what this jerk has to say, I would ask people to please donate to a not-for-profit that I have long supported that helps low-income women in recovery, many of whom are homeless and most coming out of the criminal justice system.

It is a great San Francisco not-for-profit, and I think the best response to this guy's comments would be to donate to it, or to a similar not-for-profit in SF that helps people in need.

Please go to www.gsgracenter.org and click donate.

Thank you.

Posted by Chris on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

If you cannot accept an apology from this man and give him room for redemption then might you agree that homeless people are also irredeemable? I will wager that this man's critics will spend more time and effort attacking him and maybe his company than attempting so solve the homeless problem. This city is full of self righteous hypocrites that drown out those of us who have real concerns about where San Francisco is headed. I imagine the problem of homelessness in our city's troubles are not unlike those of other cities but unfortunately, San Franciscans think deserve special dispensation.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

homeless people are often filthy, then I think he can live his life with a clear conscience.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

Of "lower" people. Sounds a lot like a new Jim Crow

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

He's not sorry. He's sorry that it's generated so much negative PR for him. I'll believe otherwise when I see some redemptive actions on his part.

Posted by Greg on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

Homeless people are kinda filthy and smelly. Saying so is not controversial. I hear similar comments all the time.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

Yes, homeless people can be filthy and smelly. But what do you think happens to a person when they don't have access to showers or a change of clothes? If you're implying the personal filth and smell is always a homeless person's fault, then you need a very big clue train ticket.

Posted by Peter on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 5:31 pm
Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 6:15 pm

Aaaaaamen.

There is no one more intolerant than a self-righteous armchair "activist".

Posted by Guest on Dec. 12, 2013 @ 10:09 am

If you cannot accept an apology from this man and give him room for redemption then might you agree that homeless people are also irredeemable? I will wager that this man's critics will spend more time and effort attacking him and maybe his company than attempting so solve the homeless problem. This city is full of self righteous hypocrites that drown out those of us who have real concerns about where San Francisco is headed. I imagine the problem of homelessness and our city's troubles are not unlike those of other cities but unfortunately, San Franciscans think deserve special dispensation.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Your obsession with the "machines" makes me wonder about your health.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 17, 2013 @ 12:09 am

Your obsession with the "machines" makes me wonder about your health.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 17, 2013 @ 12:10 am

And that's a fact. The sooner mid-Market and then the Tenderloin are rid of the trashy pimps, drug dealers, prostitutes and open drug markets the better the city will be.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 11, 2013 @ 12:54 pm

He's going after the mentally ill homeless people. 50-75% of the homeless in SF have a mental illness. Maybe if Regan hadn't closed and underfunded mental health in CA we would be in this situation?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

always more of these people than we can save at any reasonable cost.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

After Regan had his way it's now less than 1%. There is the reason why the homeless issue has become so much worse in the past three decades. Busing people "out of town" is not a solution

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.