The annual Street Food Festival enlivens blocks of the Mission every year with many of our great food trucks, booths manned by the kitchen staff of our favorite SF restaurants, and a few visiting guests -- which at this year's fest on August 18 included my favorite Portland food cart Eurotrash , and the adorable Linda Green of Ms Linda's Catering from New Orleans. The most significant addition to the Street Food lineup this year wasn't a cart at all, but rather an entire event -- the Friday night before the main festival, the Night Market took over the Alemany Farmers Market. In the whipping winds of South San Francisco we sampled unforgettable bites that were not available at the Street Food Fest. The festive, Chinese lantern-laced outdoor space made the Night Market a stand-out. I hope it becomes a yearly feature.
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
1. The star of the Night Market was The Boss Hog, the debut of a new project from the Bone & Gristle Boys (SF's Ryan Farr of 4505 Meats and Rhode Island's Matt Jennings of Farmstead).
2. One of the best sandwiches I've ever had, The Boss Hog is slow-roasted pork, cornmeal-fried pork cutlet, Vermont cheddar, smoked pickles, red onion, greens, jalapeno ranch dressing, Farr's chicharrones
3. One of my favorite Portland food carts Eurotrash showed off fresh grilled prawns loaded in a baguette with spicy curry slaw
4. At the Night Market, Fifth Floor chef David Bazirgan's delicious fava bean falafel wrap
5. Ken Ken Ramen served jellyfish at Friday's Night Market
6. Vada Pav (spicy potato puff sandwich) from Juhu Beach Club
7. Friday's festive Night Market -- a tradition I hope continues each year
8. State Bird Stuart - State Bird Provisions' Chef Stuart Brioza assembles burrata and fried garlic bread
9. The top taste of Saturday's festival was State Bird Provisions' (Bon Appetit's 2012 # 1 New US Restaurant) hand-pulled burrata atop addictive fried garlic bread
10. A Korean favorite from the Inner Richmond, To Hyang's braised oxtail with daikons, carrots, dates, hard-boiled egg