- This Week
Our fourth annual Bay Area Photo Issue highlights sharp-eyed local visionaries
08.03.10 - 5:03 pm | Johnny Ray Huston |
CURRENT SHOW "Counterpoint 2010: Approximating Truth," through Aug. 21. Togonon Gallery, 77 Geary, 2nd floor, SF. Reception: Thurs/5, 5–7 p.m. Artists' talk: Sat/7, 4 p.m. (415) 398-5572, www.togonongallery.com.
Untitled (Red), 2009, c-print on glossy paper, 16" x 20"
ART AND LIFE I believe in Gilbert and George. They refuse to distance their art from their daily lives and insist that everything they do is art. While I don't quite take it to such an extravagant level, I do think it's important to incorporate my work into everything I do. Otherwise, all is for naught. I utilize traditional, analog processes the wrong way to produce unexpected results. I am rather interested in exploiting and manipulating the dying aspects of the photographic medium in order to achieve surreal and dreamlike images. I spend hours in the darkroom experimenting with and fine-tuning processes that I stumble upon in my explorations. I often take inspiration from those around me. We are so fortunate in San Francisco to be surrounded by beautiful, creative people with a lot of energy to give. With their help, I want to build a new queer history.
SHOW "Spectrum Art Auction for Access Institute," Oct. 17. Mezzanine, 444 Jessie, SF. (415) 861-5449, www.accessinst.org.
Chandra, 2009, c-print on Fuji Crystal Archive, 20" x 30"
ABOUT THE PHOTO This photo is part of a series I'm working on called "Cali LOVE." The series is inspired by Dia de los Muertos, and is a collaborative project with makeup artist Jenni Tay and hairstylist Justina Downs. Chandra is a friend and agreed to let me take her picture as part of the project. Thus far, I have photographed 18 people. All of my subjects are friends or family members.
UPCOMING SHOWS "El Tecolote: Imagining the Mission — Pasado, Present, Futuro," Sat/7 through Aug. 29. Mission Cultural Center, 2868 Mission, SF. (415) 643-5001, www.missionculturalcenter.org.
Wards VII, 2001-07, pigment on rag paper, 20.5" x 25.5" and 30" x 40"
Most Commented On
- Yeah, it's a damn shame San - December 9, 2013
- There are shelters for the homeless nut many of them choose - December 9, 2013
- Autism Spectrum Disorder - December 9, 2013
- "It's a power thing for us - December 9, 2013
- CAREERS AND ED: Bend over, boardroom - December 9, 2013
- Am thanking Dr SHAVAI for helping me bring my lost husband bca - December 9, 2013
- So tired of people from - December 9, 2013
- Brilliant post! I certainly - December 9, 2013
- My husband dumped me 3 months - December 8, 2013
- voyage cambodge - December 8, 2013